Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evra attacks fan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

niallo27 wrote: »
    It does call in question his integrity over past incidents if he can do this to his own fans. A full headerball.

Ye found more straws! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Chat sh1t,get banged". ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    FFS stop with the nonsense already.

What reaction did you expect to your pathetic post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

niallo27 wrote: »
    It does call in question his integrity over past incidents if he can do this to his own fans. A full headerball.

Seeing as we all know what this past incident is in reference to, the man on the other side of the argument has in his lifetime bitten a minimum of 3 different people.

How does his integrity look?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

eigrod wrote: »
    What reaction did you expect to your pathetic post ?

At least expected common sense than the **** show you and others started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Nothing to add really I suppose that hasn't already been said but for any professional athlete to lose their cool and react violently whether it be a fellow professional or a fan is completely unacceptable

Sure has been a total sh!tshow of a thread though. Good job all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    At least expected common sense than the **** show you and others started.

1. Wtf did I start ?
    2. You knew exactly what you were doing with that post and got the reaction you knew you would.

1. Wtf did I start ?
    2. You knew exactly what you were doing with that post and got the reaction you knew you would.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

1. Wtf did I start ?

Your faux outrage is commendable, good job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Here, dya remember that time Patrice Evra kicked his one of his own team's fans in the head. Those were the days, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Must be a French thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

1. Wtf did I start ?

1. Faux outrage.
    2. I'm getting the reaction to my post because of you and your cronies faux outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Absolutely shocked, Evra had a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

As someone who doesn't support a team wearing red, this thread, despite warnings from the Mods, is laughable.
    People are divided and blinded by their loyalties, to the stage where they are defending physical assaults.
    In this case, its a kung fu kick, where some reds are outraged whilst others say that its understandable and defendable.
    Before this its biting and the others are outraged whilst the some defend it.
    If either of these actions occured out on the street, the cops would be involved, and we'll all be shocked.
    Biting or kicking, it doesn't matter. Both are reprehensible actions for a football player, (for anybody, really) - irrespective of shades of red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can't understand how posters can condone this kind of behaviour.
    If it happened on the street or among fans there would deservedly be uproar.
    There is no excusing violence of this nature and it doesn't matter who he played for or who he played against.

I can't understand how posters can condone this kind of behaviour.
    If it happened on the street or among fans there would deservedly be uproar.
    There is no excusing violence of this nature and it doesn't matter who he played for or who he played against.

Has anyone condoned it?

Evra will be deservably punished, and if your man was giving him racial abuse he should be punished too.

Every footballer with any substantial brain matter should know you can't physically attack fans. Anyone condoning it is obviously away with the fairies. I doubt anyone has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Has anyone condoned it?
    I could bring in the quotes, but would only be adding fuel to the "ire".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It won't go down well with most people but I'd condone it, mouthy, aggressive men getting in your face deserve a slap/kick.

Fans get away with far too much and if the players do anything back they're victims of the big bad millionaires who should shut up and take the abuse and aggressive behaviour in their stride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fromvert wrote: »
    It won't go down well with most people but I'd condone it, mouthy, aggressive men getting in your face deserve a slap/kick.

Fans get away with far too much and if the players do anything back they're victims of the big bad millionaires who should shut up and take the abuse and aggressive behaviour in their stride.

What Evra did is called common assault, and if it happened in the street would be a police matter.

• Advertisement

What Evra did is called common assault, and if it happened in the street would be a police matter.

And I'm sure the police will look into but morally I have no problem with what he did in that situation and I'd condone it on the street too if you want to use the street as an example.

He could argue self defense in his situation, group of men aggressively shouting at and confronting him. He doesn't know what their intentions are etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Has anyone condoned it?
    Tone of the start of the thread was that Liverpool fans aren't allow condemn such thuggery.

I really do hope assault charges are brought against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

"Patrice". There's your problem, right there.

Imagine the stick he took on the schoolyard for that name. No wonder he's a bit sensitive.

"Patrice". There's your problem, right there.

Imagine the stick he took on the schoolyard for that name. No wonder he's a bit sensitive.

In France? You do know he is French?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

In France? You do know he is French?

Ha ha ha.

And I'm sure the police will look into but morally I have no problem with what he did in that situation and I'd condone it on the street too if you want to use the street as an example.

He could argue self defense in his situation, group of men aggressively shouting at and confronting him. He doesn't know what their intentions are etc etc.

Thankfully, moral victories don't matter.

Try kicking someone in the face if they say something bold to you. See what happens.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Ha ha ha.

That's Ha ha ha in French you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

He's French?! Actually, that would explain it.

The propensity for face kicking too.

Thankfully, moral victories don't matter.

Try kicking someone in the face if they say something bold to you. See what happens.

Well I'm sure if a group of men acting aggressively confronted me, you or anyone else the cops would be ok with self defence without being overly violent.

Well I'm sure if a group of men acting aggressively confronted me, you or anyone else the cops would be ok with self defence without being overly violent.

It looked more like he attacked them. They were not on the field of play.

No idea, I'm not a lawyer so not sure of the law.

If you're right, players could lay into fans at a lot of games without punishment.

• Advertisement

It loked more like he attacked them. They were not on the field of play.

They left their seats and approached the field/him. He didn't walk up into the stands and assault them for saying something to him.

They left their seats and approached the field/him. He didn't walk up into the stands and assault them for saying something to him.

Pardon me. I thought they were still their side of the barrier when the attack took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

This thread is nuts.

No idea, I'm not a lawyer so not sure of the law.

If you're right, players could lay into fans at a lot of games without punishment.

If fans where constantly leaving their seats in groups to aggressively confront players it might happen more but thankfully most people are decent and don't.

Pardon me. I thought they were still their side of the barrier when the attack took place.

Huh it looks to me that they've already jumped two barriers at least. A fence and then a wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

There was a a rake of security and other players in between them and him. I wouldn't say he was in much danger if he hadn't bothered to approach them. He didn't have to put himself into the situation by walking over to them but he did

If fans where constantly leaving their seats in groups to aggressively confront players it might happen more but thankfully most people are decent and don't.

So if fans verbally abuse players from behind a barrier it's ok for the player to physically attack them?

Huh it looks to me that they've already jumped two barriers at least. A fence and then a wall

I don't know or care really.
    They are obviously no angels.
    But violence is never acceptable no matter who starts it.People should walk away and Evra didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    This thread is nuts.

Liverpool fan: Give him the death penalty

United Fan: The guy was basically asking for it.

If roles reversed and it happened to be a loved Liverpool ex player -

Liverpool fan: The mouthy lad had what was coming to him.

United Fan: Utter C**t, he should do time for that.

So if fans verbally abuse players from behind a barrier it's ok for the player to physically attack them?

If they have jumped what looks like two sets of barriers (at least) and are acting what looks like be in a threatening aggressive manner I'm ok with it. Who says they're stopping at the first couple of barriers? They could just keep coming.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »

Not really as not everyone is 12.

I know loads of utd fans that think Evra was way out of line. I'm sure there's some here too. Where does that fit in your make believe theory?

The background to this is interesting - Evra made the stupid mistake of challenging punters who had been critical of his performances after a game against Rennes in September. Basically he said "I'll see you outside" This was a belated reaction by the hardcore away day Marseille "supporters" to see if he was still ready for a rumble. He was.

I don't know or care really.
    They are obviously no angels.
    But violence is never acceptable no matter who starts it.People should walk away and Evra didn't.

You can see people coming over the fence and a wall in the video?

Blanket statements like violence is never acceptable is nonsense. There's plenty of situations violence is acceptable and needed. Probably not this one but I won't hang Evra for what he did. H could of dealt with it a lot better but what he did isn't something insane. Guys who act like those fans are scum and if one of them gets a kick so be it. Hopefully he won't do it again.

Evra will likely get a ban, slap on the wrist for hitting the fan and the fans will move onto the next player who isn't performing.

Rekop dog wrote: »

Liverpool fan defending Evra here :p

If they have jumped what looks like two sets of barriers (at least) and are acting what looks like be in a threatening aggressive manner I'm ok with it. Who says they're stopping at the first couple of barriers? They could just keep coming.

Thankfully, footballers aren't all little snowflakes, or there would be a lot of player v fan violence.

If you can't rise above it without resorting to violence you've lost.

Liverpool fan defending Evra here :p

:D

Back to the drawing board !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Not really as not everyone is 12.

I know loads of utd fans that think Evra was way out of line. I'm sure there's some here too. Where does that fit in your make believe theory?

I do too, but that's basically been the flow of *this* particular thread. One side over condemning him and the other overly defending him purely based on their allegiances which is a little sad really.

You can see people coming over the fence and a wall in the video?

Blanket statements like violence is never acceptable is nonsense. There's plenty of situations violence is acceptable and needed. Probably not this one but I won't hang Evra for what he did. H could of dealt with it a lot better but what he did isn't something insane. Guys who act like those fans are scum and if one of them gets a kick so be it. Hopefully he won't do it again.

Evra will likely get a ban, slap on the wrist for hitting the fan and the fans will move onto the next player who isn't performing.
    He simply should have walked the other way and pointed out the troublesome fans to security. Simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

As a Marseilles fan i think Evra was ****ing retarded but there is a lot of people here who dont know the scum fans Marseille have. Every day fans dont sit with them, the so called Ultras are in reality just scumbags and i was delighted to see someone do something to them
    Fans shouldnt think they have the right/power to do what they were doing, its football at the end of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

irishman86 wrote: »
    As a Marseilles fan i think Evra was ****ing retarded but there is a lot of people here who dont know the scum fans Marseille have. Every day fans dont sit with them, the so called Ultras are in reality just scumbags and i was delighted to see someone do something to them
    Fans shouldnt think they have the right/power to do what they were doing, its football at the end of the day
    What were they doing exactly?

Were they slagging him for poor form, or was it more serious than that?

In the video clip the fans come down as far as the advertising boards to shout at their players warming up. Some of the players then jump over that barrier to confront them. And then Evra kung foo kicks one of them. Was Evra the centre of the fans abuse and the other players defending him before Evra took matters into his own hands?

Very confusing scenes to see players and their own supporters square up to each other like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement