Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evra attacks fan

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Pardon me. I thought they were still their side of the barrier when the attack took place.
    They were. Some of the players jumped the barrier though and Evra jumped up and kicked some fan in the head across the same barrier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ban the player and fans. Simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What were they doing exactly?

Were they slagging him for poor form, or was it more serious than that?

In the video clip the fans come down as far as the advertising boards to shout at their players warming up. Some of the players then jump over that barrier to confront them. And then Evra kung foo kicks one of them. Was Evra the centre of the fans abuse and the other players defending him before Evra took matters into his own hands?

Very confusing scenes to see players and their own supporters square up to each other like that.

Thats how the ultras are, they would rather insult than cheer on the team. Going by past experience they are not a nice group of people
    The way they slag is not nice its whore this, black that etc etc
    Marseille has some horrible fans
    Just like the Everton scum fan who felt he could slap a Lyon fan, where do these idiots think they get the right to abuse physically or verbally
    For me the lowest denominator fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm a Liverpool fan, most definitely not an Evra fan and think Evra was off his head to react the way he did. However, there are too many fúckwits going to games and screaming abuse at players (Anfield being no exception) - in this case at one of their own players ffs! Players as professionals have to show restraint but they're human beings at the end of the day and we all have a breaking point.
    I can vaguely remember Fowler talking about it in his book (incoming massive paraphrase) - "you've got all these grown men shouting at you "you this and you that, I'll do this and I'll do that" from behind hoardings. Come over the other side of the barrier and say that again fella". It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Augeo wrote: »
    A filthy individual.... a dishonest maggot.....assaulting a fa yet he'll quite likely attempt to lie his way out of it.
    ricero wrote: »
    Always thought he was a filthy liar and now hes a filthy thug

Why did these posts receive warnings? it's true he is a filthy cu*t for kicking a fan in the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Marseilles have suspended him. Brainless action by him and he's lucky he wasn't sacked.

Shred wrote: »
    I'm a Liverpool fan, most definitely not an Evra fan and think Evra was off his head to react the way he did. However, there are too many fúckwits going to games and screaming abuse at players (Anfield being no exception) - in this case at one of their own players ffs! Players as professionals have to show restraint but they're human beings at the end of the day and we all have a breaking point.
    I can vaguely remember Fowler talking about it in his book (incoming massive paraphrase) - "you've got all these grown men shouting at you "you this and you that, I'll do this and I'll do that" from behind hoardings. Come over the other side of the barrier and say that again fella". It's ridiculous.

Football attracts some of the dregs of society unfortunately. You might want to kick the head of spanners screaming abuse, but you just can't. You just need to rise above it.

Football grounds in England at premiership level don't tolerate any racism(for example) You'll be kicked out and banned for possibly life.

I'd take abuse for 100k + a week no problem!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Why did these posts receive warnings? it's true he is a filthy cu*t for kicking a fan in the head

Because no matter what you think about Evra or his actions, you still have to abide by the forum charter maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Liverpool fan: Give him the death penalty

United Fan: The guy was basically asking for it.

If roles reversed and it happened to be a loved Liverpool ex player -

Liverpool fan: The mouthy lad had what was coming to him.

United Fan: Utter C**t, he should do time for that.

Don't forget the falling over themselves to 'thank' every post by one of their own as well.

Incredibly stupid thing to do and will rightly get a long ban. Although some of the abuse dished out by 'fans' is nothing short of disgusting and needs to be looked at as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Same reason you will get one for probably..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Football brings out the absolute pinnacle of nonsensical tribal mentality.

There is only one objectively reasonable reaction to this. Players put up with horrendous abuse at times, but you obviously can't assault people. Kicking someone like that is. He should be punished, and will be. It's a thuggish thing to do. Fans at games who hurl particularly vulgar abuse should be found and banned too.

End of.

It's amazing the kinds of things some fans will defend or trivialise in the name of 'defending' their club. From violence to racism. It really does amaze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Not really as not everyone is 12.

I know loads of utd fans that think Evra was way out of line. I'm sure there's some here too. Where does that fit in your make believe theory?

No doubt there is loads of Utd fans out there who rightly think Evra was way, way out of line, but if you can't see the fairly pronounced bias that quite a lot of Utd and Liverpool fans have displayed on this thread, then...I don't know really.

The fact that there's over a 150 replies on the thread - about something that happened before a Marseilles match, that I'd wager 90% of the posters on here didn't even know was taking place - suggests to me that it's less about what actually happened and more about who was involved.

Arghus wrote: »
    No doubt there is loads of Utd fans out there who rightly think Evra was way, way out of line, but if you can't see the fairly pronounced bias that quite a lot of Utd and Liverpool fans have displayed on this thread, then...I don't know really.

The fact that there's over a 150 replies on the thread - about something that happened before a Marseilles match, that I'd wager 90% of the posters on here didn't even know was taking place - suggests to me that it's less about what actually happened and more about who was involved.

You are agreeing with me then.

The poster I quoted was generalising, which didn't surprise.

• Rumours of Evras contract being terminated by Marseille

From the BBC. I wasn't aware of points 4 & 5.

How it happened
    1. Named as a substitute, Evra begins warming up with his team-mates before the game
    2. The former Manchester United left-back appears to be the target of songs and abuse from the crowd for about 30 minutes
    3. Evra approaches the Marseille fans, about 500 of whom had travelled to Guimaraes
    4. He volleys a ball towards the crowd, but some of his team-mates come over and look to calm the defender down
    5. Evra climbs over the billboards and looks to confront spectators who have come towards the front of the stand
    6. The 36-year-old returns to the pitch, but a group of fans approach the billboards and Evra appears to kick one of them
    7. Evra is led away to the substitutes' bench, but is sent off by the referee and watches the game from the stands

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41866778

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Evra is a hugely polarizing figure in France he called for the player strike during the World Cup with former player and government officials called for him to be banned from playing with France again.

The guy likes to create conflict and be the centre of it by the looks of it.

I'd say the French FA will happily end his career Joey Barton style giving him a ban long enough that it is effectively over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

He is a numpty and deserves everything he gets for this. I dont care how much crap he is getting from the fans (its gonna be worse now), he is a professional and should act like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ban him, he can still play for France on his playstation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah yes, Patrice Evra, always the victim,

What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

What's that?

Its never his fault, always someone else,

There must be a reason that his own fans hate him so much,

• Advertisement

Ah yes, Patrice Evra, always the victim,

first there was the Chelsea Steward, orchestrating a player strike against his own country, then Suarez, now this

But to be fair, in one instance there was a very thorough investigation with well paid legal teams appearing for the defence, and he was found to be the victim of Luis Suarez's repeated racist abuse.

Which does not make this instance acceptable. He should get a lengthy ban. If he is upset by something a supporter says, he is entitled to bring it to the attention of the ref, the stewards, or afterwards to the club. As he correctly did when he was racially abused by Suarez. Assault is not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I hadn't realised before now that the phrase always the victim is actually used outside of morons on the stands at football matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Jesus people in here are full of crap

To United fans..................................... This is not about Manchester United. He is merely an ex player who has always been a bit of a tw@. Im not going to sit here and go through all of his controversial moments and say which where right and wrong. He is a tool who always gets into bother one way or another. In this instance there is no defending him. This is not because of the colour of his skin but the fact that people really dont like him for his antics.

To fellow Liverpool fans................. Forget the Suarez incident. Who cares. Evra is now showing everyone the type of person he actually is. This time he cant play the victim card. So yea slag him off all you want but just dont talk about Suarez because what he did (is not comparable for better or worse) is also scumbaggy.

Evra's cowardly act will be punished. I'd imagine he won't play for Marseille again for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Have Marseille or UEFA said anything about the incident?

noodler wrote: »
    We've now entered the twilight zone.

The upside down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ok, we are not revisiting Suarez v Evra any further. Thread closed for further review/clean up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement