Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spent cartridges

Options
  • 02-11-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

. Im looking for 20 used/waste shotgun cartridges. Any idea where to get them. And they are for style/aesthetic use, to fit over wheel nuts on a car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

. Im looking for 20 used/waste shotgun cartridges. Any idea where to get them. And they are for style/aesthetic use, to fit over wheel nuts on a car

Do you work for the monk? :P

Go up to any clay ground on the weekend. Loads in the Pale.
    You'll pick em up handy enough. Tbh they'll rust up like feck so not worth yer while.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And you would need a firearms certificate to have ammunition components in your possession. I know it sounds a bit daft but it's the law....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

And you would need a firearms certificate to have ammunition components in your possession. I know it sounds a bit daft but it's the law....

Was thinking that. Believe i read on here before that your maximum allowence on the licence technically includes spent cartridges in your posession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Yes they will rust, they are steel with a very thin plating of brass on them. Get a bar of brass and ask someone with a lathe to knock you some up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Go rooting online. You're bound to find novelty nut caps or whatever you want to call it that look like shotgun brass but have never been made to function like shotgun brass. As a consequence they're not component parts of ammunition so no certificate would be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭passatman86

Yeah I think I will follow up the novelty ones

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

Does that technicality not just refer to spent case's that could be reloaded?

If part of the plastic was cut back on a shotgun cartridge so that it couldn't be re crimped or if a hole was drilled in a centre fire case wouldn't they cease to be
    "ammunition components" ?

Not sure though, what yous think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Does that technicality not just refer to spent case's that could be reloaded?

If part of the plastic was cut back on a shotgun cartridge so that it couldn't be re crimped or if a hole was drilled in a centre fire case wouldn't they cease to be
    "ammunition components" ?

Not sure though, what yous think?

The legislation doesn't differentiate between spent cartridges that can be reloaded and spent cartridges that can't be reloaded.

I don't think that drilling holes etc. would get around the legislation seeing as a spent cartridge is looked upon as a firearm. You wouldn't get away with drilling the barrel and welding the action of your shotgun making it unusable so I doubt that would work for spent cartridges either.

Advertisement