Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seat Post Clamp Issues

Options
  • 02-11-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Having issues with saddle slipping so found out to change from quick release.

Got the specs off the website, 31.8MM, rang my LBS to check and then rang cycle superstore as they are the Lapierre dealership.

Brought old clamp down to LBS and he doubled checked and I bought a BBB clamp. Go home and it wont go onto the frame.

The only way I can say its mine is double the height of the one I got and its like its 31.7/6MM until the very end where it's like a tiny lip, so almost like a cap sitting onto the frame.

Can a non quick release clamp be bought that's the same setup, or maybe do I see if i can convert my clamp with a screw/washer??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

The quick release clamps usually hold the post in place if tightened enough. There are a lot of different bolt lengths out there, I rebuilt an old bike recently and bought a few different lengths on amazon before finding one I was happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

AmboMan wrote:
    The quick release clamps usually hold the post in place if tightened enough. There are a lot of different bolt lengths out there, I rebuilt an old bike recently and bought a few different lengths on amazon before finding one I was happy with.

I and another fella tightened it so much the rubber protection thing is mangled

Hopefully not that much messing,dying to get back cycling,can't trust the quick release anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Selecting seat post clamps is sometimes a trial and error process.

Option 1: If its a metal frame (as a bodge), make a shim out of a coke can, by cutting a small piece off, and inserting it into the down tube, alongside the seat post. Use with your original quick release.

Option 2: If its a carbon frame - try using a tube of carbon grip paste.

Option 3: Chainreaction have loads of brand x seat clamps for under 4 quid. Order & try a couple of different sizes.

Also - Take care not to over-tighten anything.

Advertisement