Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining a club

• 02-11-2017 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Recently started running again and I'm considering joining a club.

I don't have a lot of time I could dedicate to it as I work a lot but would it be beneficial? What should I look for in terms of a suitable club to join or does it matter much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mainly, join a club who train in times/locations that are handy for you. If your club is on the other side of the city, you're not going to train with them.

I presume you're a distance runner, so most clubs will cater for you.

Most clubs will have a range of abilities in the club.

if you phone/email your local club(s), you can find their training times, and see if there are other runners of about your ability. And I think all clubs will be happy for you to try a couple of training sessions out to see if you like it.

Running clubs are not like the clubs for team sports. You don't have to attend a certain number of training sessions per week or get dropped from a team. You could train with the club twice a week one month and not at all the next, or only every second week, or whatever it is suits you.

You get the benefit of training with other people, learning from more experienced runners, entry to some races that are for club runners only (and often discounted entry to other races), and you get the experience of being part of a team in races, running for the club.

RayCun wrote: »
    Mainly, join a club who train in times/locations that are handy for you. If your club is on the other side of the city, you're not going to train with them.

Running clubs are not like the clubs for team sports. You don't have to attend a certain number of training sessions per week or get dropped from a team. You could train with the club twice a week one month and not at all the next, or only every second week, or whatever it is suits you.

This is a great point. When I first joined a club, I thought it was like a soccer or GAA team and that if you couldn't make a session you were letting people down. Thankfully, that is not the case, and while it is beneficial to make as many sessions as you can, the beauty of running as opposed to team sports is that you make it work around your own schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

andreoilin wrote: »
    Recently started running again and I'm considering joining a club.

I don't have a lot of time I could dedicate to it as I work a lot but would it be beneficial? What should I look for in terms of a suitable club to join or does it matter much?

I was running for 2 years on my own before joining a club, the November before I joined the club I was just unable to break 60 minutes on a 10k, two years after joining the club I am doing 45 min 10ks and sub 4 marathons, something I'd never have achieved on my own despite all the online plans,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I signed up with a club after getting through DCM16 training pretty much on my own. Definitely the best thing that I have done.

Surrounding yourself with better runners/picking their brains and following a structured training plan will bring you on leaps and bounds.

There is no expectation for you to a make every session but obviously the more you can make the better....defiitely pick a club that is convenient for either work/home.

In the last year I even tried XC and track running all great experiences.

I cannot recommend joining a club highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like a good way to go. Gonna get myself to a level where I won't be a complete embarrassment to myself and then look into it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

andreoilin wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like a good way to go. Gonna get myself to a level where I won't be a complete embarrassment to myself and then look into it :)

Not a chance you'll be an embarrassment to yourself, clubs cater for all abilities and there's no required level to join.
    You'll see improvements quicker by joining a club.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

As a former DCM novice, I am looking to push on and join a club. Leaning towards Crusaders because it's close to work.

Just wondering if I am better holding back until the new year once I am fully recovered or if it's ok to go for it in December? Do the club subs work on a pro rata basis? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

As a former DCM novice, I am looking to push on and join a club. Leaning towards Crusaders because it's close to work.

Just wondering if I am better holding back until the new year once I am fully recovered or if it's ok to go for it in December? Do the club subs work on a pro rata basis? Thanks!

you can try a few sessions before you join, so I don't think anyone is going to be chasing you for money in December :)

Advertisement