Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny flat- 20k?

Options
  • 03-11-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Would 20k be enough to build a granny flat onto the side of a house? Would need kitchen, bathroom, bedroom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Kpersey wrote: »
    Would 20k be enough to build a granny flat onto the side of a house? Would need kitchen, bathroom, bedroom

Might just squeeze 16m2 for that type of budget.would be fairly tight living space

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My opinion is no, unless you can do the work yourself.
    The smallest granny flat I done was bang on 25 Sq. M and that was 26k and by god it was right. Very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kpersey

kceire wrote: »
    My opinion is no, unless you can do the work yourself.
    The smallest granny flat I done was bang on 25 Sq. M and that was 26k and by god it was right. Very tight.

Thanks...would a total of 30k make much of a difference

Thanks...would a total of 30k make much of a difference

Yes depending on level of finish etc
    Or could build circa 20 Sq. M.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Farel17

What kind of size granny flat could be built with a budget of 50k in north Dublin? Is planning a major obstacle at the moment?

• Advertisement

Farel17 wrote: »
    What kind of size granny flat could be built with a budget of 50k in north Dublin? Is planning a major obstacle at the moment?

Planning is very straight forward once you have the space to attach the extension, maintain a connection to the existing house and can demonstrate a need for it. DCC require a letter outlining the need for a grant flat.

50k can go a long way or a short way depending on finishes etc

Thanks for the response.... ideally looking to build a 1 bed, 1 bath with open plan kitchen/ living room for my parents extension to the side of the house....

Thanks for the response.... ideally looking to build a 1 bed, 1 bath with open plan kitchen/ living room for my parents extension to the side of the house....

Single storey?
    Should be doable with 50k with some change alright. Depends on what level you finish it out to.

Planning may be required though.

Thanks.....Yep lookin at single storey.....What size do you think I could get for 50k in north Dublin?

Thanks.....Yep lookin at single storey.....What size do you think I could get for 50k in north Dublin?

Would have to see the site. Depends on drainage etc
    But a rough ball park, maybe 30-35 Sq. M.

*beer mat calculation just for an idea. Means absolutely nothing without having eyes on the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement