Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart connectivity dependent on suppliers ?

Options
  • 03-11-2017 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the Noob questions: If i install smart devices(netamo for instance) to be controlled by smartphone:

It connects to my home wifi -correct ?

A smartphone app to control this on 4g etc (NOT on the home wifi) needs to connect to an internet based server -correct ?
    If in the house, on my home wifi, It still needs internet server ?

If the device supplier decides not to support this device anymore, can they just turn off all connectivity ?

Any third party suppliers or other devices able to handle this connectivity ?

If i use Google home/ Alexa, etc, does the same above apply ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well if differs from smart device to smart device.

For instance the Netatmo Thermostat (which I have myself) connects wirelessly (but not over wifi, it uses a different low energy protocol) to a supplied bridge/hub that connects to your broadband router by an ethernet cable. So it looks like this.

The Internet -> Your wifi/broadband router -> Ethernet cable -> Netatmo bridge -> special wireless protocol -> Netatmo Thermostat

When you are out and about and you use the Netatmo app, it uses your phones 3g/4g to connect to Netatmo's servers to control the thermostat in your home.

They could turn off connectivity in future. Though Amazon are pretty good about taking returns and refunding you if that happens.

Yes, the same applies if you use Ghome/Alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭whizbang

Thanks, that clears up that.
    I am having difficulty in understanding which devices use bridges or direct wifi.
    Very few make it clear on the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree it can be difficult

My old X10 devices worked over my lan timers etc were all saved in my house

The SONOFF kit saves it's commands to the device. So it will work away itself. You can change it on you local wifi or outside that again .

Just keep it on WiFi network with no internet access if you don't want updates etc

My lightwaverf units all stop working on the app if I've no internet connection. However they all still work and different remotes switch them

Many items come with hardware that is controlled by the manufacturer, Amazon, Google Canary etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well generally, I'm allergic to systems that don't work if your broadband is down.

Obviously you'd expect to lose remote access/control and maybe advanced setup, but as long as your wifi is still up, I'd expect to still be able to control it from your phone on the same wifi network.

I was really surprised to find MiHome stops working if your broadband goes down. It has a hub, that is mad! and just shows a bad design. Even TP-Links wifi plugs continue to work as long as you have a wifi connection, surprising since it doesn't have a hub.

Of course I'm not including GHome, Alexa and Cloud cameras in this due to the nature of those products naturally being online *

* Though I can imagine Apple building a purely local, home based AI due to their interest in hardware and privacy.

If you are really interested in keeping things under your own control, then probably best to look into Home Assistant and devices that work with it.

Advertisement