Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First .223/Mid Caliber Rifle

Options
  • 03-11-2017 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well lads i am wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on getting a longer range rifle,Ive owned a .22lr and 12g shotgun for the last while now.
    I find the .22 doesn't have enough distance as vermin are easily 150-300 yards at times.

Im looking at getting a .223 bolt action rifle as the .223 has the range and isn't to expensive of a round to buy.Looking to buy in good secondhand condition or band new from or through RDF. If anyone knows whats in Griffen Hawe Along let me know ive bought my last 3 guns there and they are very good!

My .22lr is a CZ and the CZ 527 is taking my liking along with the Remington 700.Also preferable threaded barrel Let me know if there are other good reliable makes and models out there and if you owed one!Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Tikka T3. They're a little more expensive, but they really are a quality rifle. Very smooth bolt.
    I had one for a while and regularly shot out to 300 yards no problem. To this day I regret trading it in. I have a Rem 700 now and IMO (and at the risk of starting a religious war), the Tikka is a better rifle.
    Just another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

loads of stuff in griffin hawe, was in the gun room last week and the place is full you can also view stock on the website now.

if your kildare based go have a look in cill dara hunting in kildare town they have quiet a good stock of rifles

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

There are loads of quality rifles out there, depends on your budget. I have a Tikka T3X in 223 and have to say its excellent. A bit more expensive tho.
    When I was buying the Tikka I also looked at some Rugers (American Predator), CZ's  & Rems all of which would do the job.
    What I will say is keep in mind future rifles i.e. if you want to move on the 223 for something else then the Tikka is a very sellable rifle where as the Ruger American maybe not so much.
    I recently looked at upgrading to 243 and the dealer said he would have no hesitation taking in my Tikka but if I had the Ruger he wouldnt be really interested in that.
    So you might have to spend a little more now to future proof your investment.
    Good luck in your search. Its a +1 from me for Tikka.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Another vote for the Tikka T3, get the faster twist barrel while you're at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Tikka T3 all the way . I love mine !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Feck lads. Now I want to buy my old Tikka back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

I have a Cz 527 varmint kevlar and its a lovely rifle and very accurate, but if i was to purchase again it would definitely be a Tikka t3 varmint or tactical. like as the lads said above its a bit more expensive but will hold its value better than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Fast twist t3 or T3x all the way-savage rifle in every department and not crazy money compared to its parent sako

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommoylan

the gun store kilkenny have a 223 tikka for sale fully kitted lovely gun worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

If you go for the Tikka make sure you try and get a 1:8 barrel as they will fire all weights of .223 ammo whereas the 1:12 will only fire the lighter ammo accurately.

The T3 varmint heavy barrel was usually a 1:8 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I had a CZ527 for about 6 years and i couldnt recommend it enough. Mine had a 1:12 twist iirc because it loved the lighter loads, 40-55gr. This was perfect for me because it was a fox gun for the most part and the 40gr vmax shoot like a laser, they are crazy fast and accurate.

For cheap shooting you can get American Eagels which i also found very accurate from my gun.

A lot of guys recommending tikka, they are definitely a great gun but i wouldn't be put off the CZ, just as well made and accurate as the tikka, cheaper to buy and dealers will take them as a trade in. If the budget allows for a tikka and a good scope go this way but if its getting tight id go for a cheaper gun and spend a bit more on the scope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Tikka a great rifle by all accounts.
    Sako 75 .308 is a great rifle by my account. I'm still the Phoenix 'Stalking Rifle' champion in the UK with that rifle.

I've had the CZ varmint in .223 with Heavy barrel and the kevlar stock for 12 years or more, must have put over 1000 rounds thru it and it will still shoot sub MOA. A great rifle to hold and shoot. It has shot 28mm and 40mm 3 shot groups at 300m with 40gr VMax bullets.
    And took many foxes over the years. And won a few comps. with it
    I shot my first deer with a CZ American in 65x55 another great rifle to shoot, with low recoil.

I've owned 5 CZ .22lr rifles over the years and still have a CZ 455 with the thumbhole stock that I bought in November and got my first medal with it in December. Another great rifle.

For your hard earned money you won't go wrong with any of the CZ rifles. IMO

Advertisement