Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike build with local bike shop

Options
  • 03-11-2017 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi

I would like to build a bike from frame with the help of my local bike shop however I dont want any of the brands they stock.

Would it be rude to get them to put it together if I bought the parts through them even though I bought the frame somewhere else.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I sourced a Di2 group set part by part and asked my bike shop to upgrade the old groupset. They just charged by time spent doing it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Biketourer wrote: »
    Hi

I would like to build a bike from frame with the help of my local bike shop however I dont want any of the brands they stock.

Would it be rude to get them to put it together if I bought the parts through them even though I bought the frame somewhere else.

Thanks.

Not rude so long as you explain it as an idea to them, not just turn up with the frame. Truth is, they will be charging labour and it's a nice easy one for them as a failure on the frame is not their issue. I know one LBS that does it and it would be foolish not too as that sort of work, bar the B2W, is the bread and butter of bike shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Would you not build it up yourself? It's very satisfying building up your own bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not rude so long as you explain it as an idea to them, not just turn up with the frame....
    +1

You could also ask them first if they can source the frame you want. If they can't, it puts you in a much better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Dunno where the OP is, but MBW in Moycullen (just outside Galway) actively advertise 'buy online, build local'. And they are very good, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Would you not build it up yourself? It's very satisfying building up your own bike.

+1. Just done this myself. Been riding it the past few weeks and nothing has fallen off yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

brownian wrote: »
    Dunno where the OP is, but MBW in Moycullen (just outside Galway) actively advertise 'buy online, build local'. And they are very good, too.

Yep the lads in there did a lovely jib for me during the summer. I saw it advertised online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Biketourer

Thanks for all the reply's. That is very helpful.

With regards to building it myself I hadn't ruled it out but I don't think I would have the knowledge or the tools to do it properly.

If anyone can recommend any frames to look at I'd appreciate it. I am currently looking at Hersh and Bowman if anyone had any experience with either of these brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Biketourer wrote: »
    Thanks for all the reply's. That is very helpful.

With regards to building it myself I hadn't ruled it out but I don't think I would have the knowledge or the tools to do it properly.

If anyone can recommend any frames to look at I'd appreciate it. I am currently looking at Hersh and Bowman if anyone had any experience with either of these brands.

I have a bowman on the way due end of the month if your interested I’d recommend order now as they have a batch due end of month but will sell out quickly and won’t have another batch till well into the new year

Does anyone know, or can recommend somewhere in South Dublin that would do this?

I have all the bits for a group set upgrade, but not the time to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Aegir wrote: »
    Does anyone know, or can recommend somewhere in South Dublin that would do this?

I have all the bits for a group set upgrade, but not the time to do it.

The Bike Rack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Expert Cycles - Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Roughly, how much would a shop be charging just for the lobour to change a groupset?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Roughly, how much would a shop be charging just for the lobour to change a groupset?

I was quoted €100 for this about a year ago.

the shop told me they understand that they can't compete on price against wiggle etc but they seemed more than happy to fit it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Base2race (Ballymount) advertise a build service from parts supplied 120e

https://shop.base2race.ie/collections/bike-service-centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

a couple of hours work maybe 60-80€

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Bike build in most shops is usually 100-150, dependent on groupset and frame type.

Most, if not all, bike shops will do this for you.

DI2 etc can cost marginally more due to time required for running wiring, testing, software check etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

CSS stripped my groupset and rebuilt a di2 on mine 150e all in . However I bought the groupset there . Good job they did too and very helpful from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I second Expert Cycles, mega fast turnaround, competitively priced and excellent attention to detail (and helping pay the wages of an Irish world champion).

I live over an hour away and happily make the commute when I get them to do exactly what you have asked. Robin measures the important stuff and the new bike has all the contact points just how I like them.

There is good reason the shop is always filled with a conveyer belt of high bikes being serviced.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    The Bike Rack

Excellent recommendation. They fitted a 105 groupset (some new, some secondhand) and a new set of wheels that I recently bought from Letape for just under €100.

Very happy.

Advertisement