Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocate DSL modem

• 03-11-2017 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have a Vodafone DSL modem in my attic that I want to see if I can relocate

- telephone line comes into the attic, connected to a connection box
    - modem is connected using RJ11 plugs to this box, albeit the plug end also accepts RJ45
    - I also have cat 5 cables from various rooms terminating in the attic.

Is it possible to use the Cat 5 network to relocate the vodafone modem to a different room?  I have tried using the cables I have, but not working.  If possible, what equipment am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

tdo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

Would it be easier to leave the modem there and purchase an access point or another router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The modem has to be connected to the phone line by definition.
    You may want to put another wireless router at the end of the ethernet cable somewhere else in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tdo

Thanks both for the replies.  @Charles - this is what I suspected, thanks for confirming.  Its a minor inconvenience in terms of access having the modem in the attic, and probably means an AP elsewhere in the house, but at the same time it does mean that I can use the additional ports on the modem for router functionality across the rest of the wired connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Charles is right, but the implication is wrong.

You can "extend" the phone line from the NTU(unit in attic) to a wall point downstairs using CAT5 as long as you use one of the pairs (so blue + blue white not blue + green) and put an RJ11 on the bottom one (to fit the modem).

With good cabling this wont cause much/any loss. With crap cable it can cause problems.

Advertisement