Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time: Nightmare to Let RTÉ Investigates

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

When you have political classes profiting from an over inflated property market then nothing will change. What should happen is there needs to be huge investment by the private sector into large multi story apartment blocks equally matched by similar investment into underground heavy rail transport. Nothing will change and Ireland is as a corrupt now as it was during the boom, people gave Fianna Fail the reigns of power again and they can sit back nicely and abstain while directly influencing policy whilst their cronies profit and bribe and pay off corrupt officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

As a landlord I pay my fees to the PTRB and tax to Revenue. I expect them to do their job and chase/prosecute rogue landlords. Seems like the annual clampdown on landlords is just scaremongering and never really happens (https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/revenue-targets-landlords-in-rental-income-crackdown-26758111.html).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

typical RTE! show the likes of yesterdays programme, fair enough, there is no harm in it. Im sure it gets good ratings. Why not go to the route of the problem and the people totally responsible?

local and national government? who are 100% at fault! Does anyone here think people want to live in those conditions? of course not, but they deem it the only option or the least bad out of a ton of **** options!

Doltanian wrote: »
    When you have political classes profiting from an over inflated property market then nothing will change. What should happen is there needs to be huge investment by the private sector into large multi story apartment blocks equally matched by similar investment into underground heavy rail transport. Nothing will change and Ireland is as a corrupt now as it was during the boom, people gave Fianna Fail the reigns of power again and they can sit back nicely and abstain while directly influencing policy whilst their cronies profit and bribe and pay off corrupt officials.

100% it is disgusting! look at the uproar over watercharges and "Denis OBrien" this is a scandal that all of those snakes are up to their necks in! not for some f**cking E400 a year per household, no! E400 a bloody month to stay in a kip, if you are lucky! You are bang on! Look at what is permitted to be built in dublin at the moment, it either doesnt make sense for developers or it needs to be priced at outrageous amount to make it worth their while building!

Would be Nice to see the other side for a change. There's to much of the bad landlord stereotyping
    yeah go to the actual culprits of this disgusting disgrace, the councils themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Does anyone here think people want to live in those conditions?

Haven't seen the show yet but I'd say there's plenty of people on minimum wage or worse that will suck it up and tolerate sh1tty conditions because it's the only way they can make ends meet and maybe save some money or send some back home. Naturally they'd take better conditions if they could get them for the same money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The council is responsible for inspecting rented dwellings.How did this occur without the council becoming aware of it? What is the council doing to detect other instances of this type of activity? Of course the council should be asked to comment.

The Encironmental Health Section are responsible for this area I believe. There is also less than 10 inspectors from what I hear. They are also responsible for noise complaints, dust and debris complaints on building sites and a whole host of other areas.

I believe this is a resource problem that inspections are not more regular.
    But the same can be said for Building Control Inspecrions. Only 4 inspectors for the whole city and every new build going on.

Definitely a resource issue in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why are so many Brazilian students coming here? A long way to go to learn English or whatever studies they are pursuing. Are there no English classes or Universities in Brazil at all?

I smell a rat.

Why are so many Brazilian students coming here? A long way to go to learn English or whatever studies they are pursuing. Are there no English classes or Universities in Brazil at all?

I smell a rat.

There is a hundred thousand Brazilians in Ireland now, Ireland and Brazil have a Visa Waiver Programme which allow Brazilians to visit Visa free, thousands are here to learn English and the learning is often bogus or minimal, they can work 20-40 hours per week and it provides great economic opportunity compared to economic crashed Brazil which is also very dangerous and expensive, imagine Irish prices but on say €600 per month salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I would love to find out what RTE would suggest where the 40 tenants living on one house would be going after the expose.

I also once had a mouse in my house, I got a mouse trap. But as it was my own house, I didn't have any recourse to get anyone else to do it for me.

I did that too. Caught 3 mice. Fcukers are gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

utmbuilder wrote: »
    ah sure its only a few rouge landlords.. the rest are of exemplary character and astute business acumen

"ah sure its only a few rouge rogue landlords.. the rest are of exemplary character and astute business acumen"

Fixed that for you...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

ah sure its only a few rouge landlords.. the rest are of exemplary character and astute business acumen

I'd find it a bit creepy if my landlord wore rouge,OK if it was a landlady, but I don't like that "gender neutral" look on men.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Idbatterim wrote: »
    typical RTE! show the likes of yesterdays programme, fair enough, there is no harm in it. Im sure it gets good ratings. Why not go to the route of the problem and the people totally responsible?

local and national government? who are 100% at fault! Does anyone here think people want to live in those conditions? of course not, but they deem it the only option or the least bad out of a ton of **** options!

DCC out now sounding contrite. They kept their heads down when the programme makers contacted them.
    I'd say RTE 1 DCC 0

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭subrosa

pilly wrote: »
    So mice and rats are a LL's problem, why?

Because of Section 4(4) of the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2017.
    Where necessary, adequate provision shall be made to prevent harbourageor ingress of pests or vermin.

subrosa wrote: »
    Because of Section 4(4) of the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2017.

Most mice come in the front/back door.

I see the fire department are.now shutting these properties down allmof a sudden. And today you have DCC trying.to claim that it's their idea now to have them dealt with under fire regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Doltanian wrote: »
    There is a hundred thousand Brazilians in Ireland now, Ireland and Brazil have a Visa Waiver Programme which allow Brazilians to visit Visa free, thousands are here to learn English and the learning is often bogus or minimal, they can work 20-40 hours per week and it provides great economic opportunity compared to economic crashed Brazil which is also very dangerous and expensive, imagine Irish prices but on say €600 per month salary.

You have to wonder if it is responsible for the Government throwing visas at Latin Americans to come here. We are basically letting a ton of people come here who do not have the financial resources to survive in one of the most expensive cities in Europe. AFAIK an Irish person going to the US to study for about 9 months paying no College fees(it is an exchange) has to have to about $15,000 in a bank account for immigration to let them into the country. The result is only issue who can afford to live in the US for College go to College in the US.

In Ireland getting a student visa is a fraction of that for a year of living. The result is Latin Americans coming for here struggling to deal with the cost of living. Is it any surprise that they are ending in modern day tenements?

Maybe we need to increase the limit for a student visa for Latin Americans to €12,000 per year. A policy change that will stop them coming here unless they afford the cost of living here. After all, they are here to learn English and just work...

IMO we should only be attracting actual students and not people wanting to abuse our student visa system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Visa required nationals do require access to funding and it’s not a fraction of the US requirements unless fractions have changed since I left school. It’s €7000.00

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Information on Student Finances.pdf/Files/Information on Student Finances.pdf

The Latino students have been a boom for corrupt Fianna Fail politicians benefiting their equally corrupt paymaster landlords, they have also put pressure upwards on rents for everyone else. I know of one "Independent" Fianna Fail genepool sitting TD who owns 38 houses alone. This visa situation was deliberately engineered to drive up rents and pump money back into the banks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: please leave the conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated allegations of corruption off the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

ah sure its only a few rouge landlords

Would need cosmetics to put a bit of red in the cheeks of the Irish landlord - shame certainly never did it anyway when there's an extra EUR available to be squeezed out of somewhere!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Would be Nice to see the other side for a change. There's to much of the bad landlord stereotyping

I disagree. It isn't the people shining a light on bad landlords that's the problem. It's the bad landlords. There's no victims here apart from the poorer members of society that were being took advantage of by these landlords. You even have landlords on here talking about hiding things from information and caring little for tenant rights. It's them that give landlords a bad name not exposes exposing bad landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What raises standards is competition. When there is a sufficient supply of accommodation available there is no market for the rogues to tap into. All of this screaming for more inspections is just a distraction from the dismal failure to keep a sufficient supply of accommodation available.The politicians and their officials have been like rabbits caught in a lamplight for years. They will do anything but get housing built. That is the cause of rogue landlordism.

What raises standards is competition. When there is a sufficient supply of accommodation available there is no market for the rogues to tap into. All of this screaming for more inspections is just a distraction from the dismal failure to keep a sufficient supply of accommodation available.The politicians and their officials have been like rabbits caught in a lamplight for years. They will do anything but get housing built. That is the cause of rogue landlordism.

This is price competition in action. Landlords like these offer lower pricers and lower standards. Regulation is needed.

Basically the housing market is an effective cartel controlled by a select few politically well connected individuals or politicians or their family members themselves. What is needed is effective planning and fast tracked decisions, with a particular emphasis on building highrise apartment blocks and the state should be subsiding this by matching private investment into property with equal amounts of investment into heavy rail and infrastructure in Dublin. I feel truely sorry for these Brazilians and latinas as by and large they have made a positive contribution to Irish society.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

elperello wrote: »
    DCC out now sounding contrite. They kept their heads down when the programme makers contacted them.
    I'd say RTE 1 DCC 0

Whats worse is SF have a majority in that council, will they be so quick to condemn how they've acted like they would if FG or FF were in the council in a majority?

Extremely bad management by DCC

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whats worse is SF have a majority in that council, will they be so quick to condemn how they've acted like they would if FG or FF were in the council in a majority?

Extremely bad management by DCC

Sinn Fein are no different to the rest of the political classes,
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/priory-hall-sinn-fein-distances-itself-from-builder-tom-mcfeely-26783818.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This is price competition in action. Landlords like these offer lower pricers and lower standards. Regulation is needed.

There is regulation already, enforcement is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So who watched it ?
    Thee main trends,
    1) Exploiting foreign students and workers.

One LL collecting 336000 a year in cash to rent 3 properties, one had 64 people living in it the other two had 48 between them.

2) Treating vulnerable social welfare tenants like dirt
    One tenant on HAP wasn't had a working shower in 500+ days flat full of damp and mold, you wouldn't keep a dog in it.

3) CoCo inspetores not ding their jobs, 3 to 5 % of properties inspected every year, so one inspection ever 20 years or so? When majour problems are found no follow up to check issues fixed.

RTE undercover reporter contacted council 4 times over 7 weeks eventually Dublin Fire Brigade inspected can closed it down.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1102/916956-rental-accommodation/

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2017/1102/916950-rte-prime-time-court/

https://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/prime-time-30003251/10797897/

and there will be no efforts to return any of that either...

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    There is regulation already, enforcement is needed.

Regulation regarding inspection is needed. I also don't know if this breaks any laws. If it doesn't than stronger laws are needed.

Advertisement