Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to claim rent relief online?

Options
  • 03-11-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Quick one. Have logged in to mypaye online account but can't for the life of me find where the section is to claim rent relief :confused: Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Ok, found for 12 and am filling it out but when I get to the add tax credits section and select rent paid to non resident landlord the form throws up an error. Nice one revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Not sure what your asking as rent relief is no longer available. You mention rent paid to non resident landlord which you or the agent are required to withhold 20% and pass on to revenue. Maybe you could explain what you're trying to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Rent relief is no longer available. Sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I presume though that you can still claim it for rent paid in prior years, when rent relief was available.

OP - you mention a non-resident landlord. That's a special case, where you are obliged to withhold 20% of rent and pay to the Revenue on landlords behalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

dudara wrote: »
    I presume though that you can still claim it for rent paid in prior years, when rent relief was available.

OP - you mention a non-resident landlord. That's a special case, where you are obliged to withhold 20% of rent and pay to the Revenue on landlords behalf.

You can only claim back reliefs for up to 4 years and it's gone way more than that. I think it's gone since 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

pilly wrote: »
    You can only claim back reliefs for up to 4 years and it's gone way more than that. I think it's gone since 2010.

Not quite, they announced it's removal from 2010 but people who have been renting continuously (not necessarily the same tenancy, just no break in the fact of their renting) since then can avail of relief up to and including 2017, which is the last year of its availability. See here for more: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html#la82f5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Actually it says nothing about renting continuously, just that you had to be renting on on 7 dec 2010.

It's only a very small amount of credit, but the way it's implemented is bizarre. I have been claiming this every year, but many of my colleagues cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tomek398

btw: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/budget-2018-where-s-the-tax-relief-for-tenants-1.3208906

Many people struggle to pay continuously increasing rents and the same rent relief is significantly reduced and limited. Simply great...!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Hmm problem so as we were renting since before 2010 but we only have records going back to 2012. Do they actually check up on that or not? The info online says that you only have to provide docs and prove rental from back then if requested. Surely it's worth just filling out the form and sending it in and see?

Advertisement