Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross - New bike or modify hybrid

Options
  • 03-11-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

After watching a local cyclocross event I'd really like to give it a go. :p
    As I'd just be starting out I was wondering could I fit cyclocross tires to my current bike to take part in an event and see if I like it/am able for it. Should I sell the cube to fund a new cyclocross bike?

Current bike is Cube SL Road Race 2015 (some spec):
    Frame: Aluminium Superlite Crossroad Double Butted
    Chainset: Shimano 105 FC-5800-L, Hollowtech II, 50x34T
    Cassette: Shimano 105 CS-5800, 11-32
    Front Brake: Shimano BR-M355, Hydr. Disc Brake 160
    Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M355, Hydr. Disc Brake 160
    Rims: Fulcrum Racing 77 CX DB
    Tyres: Schwalbe Kojak Active, 35x622
    Weight: somewhere around 10kgs

Would it be a waste of time adding new tires or is this a genuine case of needing a new bike :D

Any help/ideas would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be curious if you'd be allowed race with flat bars. that could be an obstacle; new bars and shifters could be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

i'd be curious if you'd be allowed race with flat bars. that could be an obstacle; new bars and shifters could be required.

see plenty in the B races on flat bar bikes including mountain bikes and hybrids

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - i'd heard about some cycling clubs not allowing flat bars due to the increased chance of them 'hooking' the bars of other riders, was curious if this extended to races where other riders would be using drop handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cheers - i'd heard about some cycling clubs not allowing flat bars due to the increased chance of them 'hooking' the bars of other riders, was curious if this extended to races where other riders would be using drop handlebars.

Aren't cx races just a series of falls and crashes anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Aren't cx races just a series of falls and crashes anyway :D

With soft landings ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dvntie wrote: »
    With soft landings ðŸ˜

The difference between cx and mtb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The difference between cx and mtb :D

That's unless you do land on a pig tail stake.
    So far I've managed to avoid that stuff when going arse over tit

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Id say borrow some cx-suitable tyres, or buy some cheap ones, and give it a lash! Worst case, even if you buy the tyres and end up not liking the racing, you now have a bike you can take on forest trails and other fun off road places.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jonny-b-

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Spotted these in the cycling bargains forum might be worth a try without a major outlay:
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-cyclox-king-rigid-tyre/#pid=8870

Advertisement