Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering separation

• 03-11-2017 12:21pm

Hi I'm married with two kids, marriage has been on the rocks now for a few years, but husband become more emotional, verbally abusive. He seems to be very angry and bitter. He works FT and I work PT and care for the kids. he pays most of the household bills as a result. I do intend to eventually go back to FT work when kids are older though he is putting pressure on me to do so now...even when I agreed to do so he is still nit picking...he is drinking more and basically tearing down my confidence with his words. I have come to a point where I can't take it anymore, we seem to be going around and round in circles and although he's actions may change for a while he falls back into it again before long. It is effecting me and certainly my daughter also who is 12. I suffer with anxiety as is so this is just crippling me completely. My worry is where do I go if I am the one who asks for a separation? the house is in both our names, but do I leave, do I stay and hope he leaves?? I'm all over the place at the moment, I know I have to apply for a separation but I just don't know if me and kids will be left homeless or if he will try and get the kids and kick me out...please any advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 musefan123

You’re best bet is to see a solicitor and go through everything for the best advice.

A couple of things though. First of all he cant “kick you out”. The family home is a joint asset. Having said that, you can’t kick him out either.

Secondly, you say he is verbally abusive. What do you mean by this? Because if he’s being verbally abusive you can apply to the district court for a safety order against your husband. This will prohibit him from being abusive toward you. Breach of this order could result in criminal charges against him. I’m not saying you should necessarily apply for a safety order, but if you feel your safety is genuinely at risk then you should definitely apply for it. Usually the court will grant you a temporary order (called a protection order) which will remain in place until the formal hearing. The formal hearing should be no more than a month away from when you make the original application. The judge will listen to evidence from both sides and will then decide whether or not to grant a full safety order. A safety order can last up to 5 years.

But first, get yourself to a solicitor and take it from there.It sounds like a nightmare and I hope it works out for you.

Advertisement