Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigma 10-20mm or Nikon 10-20mm ?

Options
  • 03-11-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

So, I'm looking for a wide angle lens for my D7200 and the two best options seem to be the
    Sigma 10-20mm

or the Nikon

Is there anyone here who has used them out in the wild?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I used to have the Pentax KAF mount version of the Sigma lens. I had only one complaint.. When I moved to a full-frame camera, I stopped using it, because it was for aps-c cameras, leaving a circle on a full-size image sensor.

It looks like the Sigma might be compatible with more Nikon cameras than that Nikon lens.. Lots of restrictions listed on that info page, and it looks like an aps-c or aps-s lens from the size of the opening on the front.

If your camera is compatible, and you don't plan on moving to full-frame, the Nikon lens is probably nicer by a small amount, but neither is super-fast nor super-sharp.

I didn't see a price on the Nikon, but if they're similarly priced, I'd likely go with it. If there's a sizeable difference, is do a more detailed analysis of the pros and cons for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have not used the Nikon one but have the Sigma 10-20. Mine is the first generation. It is also aps-c.

When shooting ultra wide having a fast lens is not as critical as with longer lenses. The DoF is very wide even when open wide. Also you can shoot with slower shutter speeds at shorter focal lengths.

Used to shoot with my one quite a bit. Not as sharp as a ultra wide prime but still a very useful lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I bought a Tokina 11-16 as a present for someone and have used it a few times since myself (crop sensor). I've found it very good. Next on the list for myself!

The reading I did beforehand seemed to indicate that the Tokina gave a better quality image than than Sigma but I have never used the Sigma so I can't confirm or deny that rumour!

Advertisement