Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More costs for landlords suggested

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems pretty reasonable ,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What about a certificate for renters?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/calls-for-rental-properties-to-be-certified-fit-for-purpose-before-being-let-36285971.html

The short of it threshold have had an brain storm and come up with a idea how landlords can pay extra fees. They want landlords to pay to have a certificate before renting a property.

Would like to see what their suggestion for non paying tenants should be. I will hold my breath
    Let's all guess what this half brained idea coming from the smart .... at Threshold will cause.

Wait! Maybe a further reduction of available accommodation for rent and the cost of the certification passed onto the tenants. Such great ideas always coming from the best of places!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'd love to know how many of the tenants in the prime time inestigation were PRTB registered (my assumption - none) hence they would just carry on without a certificate and honest landlords would be lumbered with another cost and more decent landlords will get out.

love they way ireland thinks new rules fixes everything, enforce the existing rules and you would solve a lot of problems

+1 on where are thresholds suggestions on non paying tenants

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gatling wrote: »
    Seems pretty reasonable ,

It will also be reasonable that any renters turning up at my door with a certificate also.

BS suggestion by threshold who have openly told tenants to real the law in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Surely anybody letting a property is ensuring that it already meets the legislative standard (July 2017) for residential lettings before they allow a new tenant to enter? Thus being fit for purpose.

I'm pretty sure that any such certificates would still only be obtained by the good landlords while the likes of those on Prime Time continue to take advantage of the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

kceire wrote: »
    It will also be reasonable that any renters turning up at my door with a certificate also.

BS suggestion by threshold who have openly told tenants to real the law in the past.

Certificate of what exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

elperello wrote: »
    What about a certificate for renters?

In a way there already is. The "2/3/4 references" required, payment history and all the other hoops tenants have to jump through.

That being said, I do think this certificate is completely useless. It's an attempt to get the misbehaving landlords to mend their way but ffs, they're not doing it now so why would a compulsory certificate suddenly get them to start :confused:

Perhaps what should be done is to do random spot checks on landlords to make sure their properties are up to scratch and if not severely punish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Funnily enough, I actually had the dubious pleasure of dealing with 2 of the individuals mentioned on the show. One of them told me that he had, if memory serves me correct, about 40 properties where he was sub-letting to foreign nationals. He felt he was providing a service...

Gatling wrote: »
    Certificate of what exactly

That’s they are fit to pay and fit to look after the property to a reasonable standard. Pretty much the same as the landlords requirements except reveresed to ensure adequate tenants get adequate properties.

It’s a two way street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since the BER certificate for energy is already a farce of an inspection which the landlord already has to pay I can see this being another money making scam.

How many of the tenants renting in the program asked for the BER certificate? If they don't know about that, or the other legislation for rentals, how will they know that they need another certificate?

As said another idea to penalise the honest landlord, while continuing to ignore the cowboys who will still be letting slums.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I really do not see what the problem would be for landlords operating within the law.
    A certificate of a rental property being fit for purpose would include certification from the fire service as well I imagine. That alone would do away with the ridiculous carry on we saw last night with fire traps waiting to happen.
    No certificate and the fire services could then close the property until it is in compliance..
    Similar to health inspectors now regarding food safety.

For flats maybe but the fire service have no legislative power to inspect single dwellings (houses).

In a way there already is. The "2/3/4 references" required, payment history and all the other hoops tenants have to jump through.

That being said, I do think this certificate is completely useless. It's an attempt to get the misbehaving landlords to mend their way but ffs, they're not doing it now so why would a compulsory certificate suddenly get them to start :confused:

Perhaps what should be done is to do random spot checks on landlords to make sure their properties are up to scratch and if not severely punish them.

From last nights program other than the fire brigade the local authority didn`t appear to be either to bothered, or didn`t have the resources to do random spot checks with only 4% of properties being inspected.

charlie14 wrote: »
    From last nights program other than the fire brigade the local authority didn`t appear to be either to bothered, or didn`t have the resources to do random spot checks with only 4% of properties being inspected.

+1

As I said in another thread, the council in dublin only have at most 10 inspectors for this section. And they also inspect noise, dust and dumping complaints. They need more resources.

For flats maybe but the fire service have no legislative power to inspect single dwellings (houses).

If a certificate of a property being fit for purpose was required for rental purposes, then I imagine fire safety compliance would be a requirement, and legislation drafted to cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

GGTrek wrote: »
    Let's all guess what this half brained idea coming from the smart .... at Threshold will cause.

Wait! Maybe a further reduction of available accommodation for rent and the cost of the certification passed onto the tenants. Such great ideas always coming from the best of places!

How would you pass the cost onto the tenant with rent controls?
    Just another hand in the pocket of the landlord.

If a certificate of a property being fit for purpose was required for rental purposes, then I imagine fire safety compliance would be a requirement, and legislation drafted to cover that.

DFB are so back logged at present that fire safety certs are being delayed by months on some projects. They are severely under staffed also. They wouldn’t have the resources to start vetting private residential dwellings with legislative change and staff recruited.

+1

As I said in another thread, the council in dublin only have at most 10 inspectors for this section. And they also inspect noise, dust and dumping complaints. They need more resources.

Either that or have fit for purpose certification operated by Health and Safety.
    That afair was the major growth sector this year and with how the food and construction sector are inspected up the yazoo, there doesn`t seem to be a shortage

__..__ wrote: »
    How would you pass the cost onto the tenant with rent controls?
    Just another hand in the pocket of the landlord.

Isn`t there a rent review every 12 months with a maximum 4% allowed in controlled areas ?
    A certificate of compliance every 3 years could be factored into that could it not ?

• Advertisement

Isn`t there a rent review every 12 months with a maximum 4% allowed in controlled areas ?
    A certificate of compliance every 3 years could be factored into that could it not ?

4% won't cover all increasing costs never mind new charges not yet even thought of. Sure most landlords are losing money already. And then there is the huge risk of a tenant just stopping paying rent. It's impossible to make property investment pay now as it is.

DFB are so back logged at present that fire safety certs are being delayed by months on some projects. They are severely under staffed also. They wouldn’t have the resources to start vetting private residential dwellings with legislative change and staff recruited.

They possibly are, but from what we saw last night they were the only service to respond to requests, and even then had to go through the courts in an effort to get compliance.
    Legislating for a fit to purpose certificate would at least stop that waste of their time.
    Because of Health and Safety legislation they can close down a food outlet instantly until there is compliance without going to court

They possibly are, but from what we saw last night they were the only service to respond to requests, and even then had to go through the courts in an effort to get compliance.
    Legislating for a fit to purpose certificate would at least stop that waste of their time.
    Because of Health and Safety legislation they can close down a food outlet instantly until there is compliance without going to court

I could easily locate and inspect 10 of those places a day by myself. They are quite easy to find if you look in rhe right places and talk to the right people.
    There is no excuse for not finding them shutting then down. There is no need for certificates. DCC should just do its job.

4% won't cover all increasing costs never mind new charges not yet even thought of. Sure most landlords are losing money already. And then there is the huge risk of a tenant just stopping paying rent. It's impossible to make property investment pay now as it is.

With a chronic shortage of rental properties and with rents going through the roof requiring the state to impose rent controls,with property prices rising by multiples of inflation, as an argument against a certificate fit for purpose I`m afraid that may be a bit of a hard sell.

With a chronic shortage of rental properties and with rents going through the roof requiring the state to impose rent controls,with property prices rising by multiples of inflation, as an argument against a certificate fit for purpose I`m afraid that may be a bit of a hard sell.

Well that's why landlords are getting out of the business now. And make no mistake they are getting out and these guys are going to be what you are left with. Along with fewer properties to rent .

I could easily locate and inspect 10 of those places a day by myself. They are quite easy to find if you look in rhe right places and talk to the right people.
    There is no excuse for not finding them shutting then down. There is no need for certificates. DCC should just do its job.

Quite possibly, but from what we saw last night DCC do not seem to have the will or the resources to do so, or the fire services the power to shut them down without going to the courts.
    In which case imo their should either be a certificate of fit for purpose where lack of such would result in them being shut down instantly, or inspections under Health and Safety where the same rules as the food industry or building apply. Shut down instantly until their is compliance to the satisfaction of the inspector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Well that's why landlords are getting out of the business now. And make no mistake they are getting out and these guys are going to be what you are left with. Along with fewer properties to rent .

If they require a certificate of fit for purpose for any property they are hoping to rent and stiff penalties for operating without one, then I don`t see how they would be left to operate for long.

Quite possibly, but from what we saw last night DCC do not seem to have the will or the resources to do so, or the fire services the power to shut them down without going to the courts.
    In which case imo their should either be a certificate of fit for purpose where lack of such would result in them being shut down instantly, or inspections under Health and Safety where the same rules as the food industry or building apply. Shut down instantly until their is compliance to the satisfaction of the inspector.

The reason they don't want to do it is that they will have to push 64 people from one of those houses out. Those 64 people all coming into the market from just one house and then being homeless when they can't get a place, never mind heaps of them from lots of houses. The govt don't want that

• Advertisement

If they require a certificate of fit for purpose for any property they are hoping to rent and stiff penalties for operating without one, then I don`t see how they would be left to operate for long.

Yep. Heap more costs and red tape onto the good landlords and watch the rest of them flee. What will you be left with?

Advertisement