Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I just buy a standard SSd and use like an external drive for backup?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You'll need a caddy/cable, but yes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What cable would connect one of these to a USB3.0 port on a laptop?

I assume it would come with such a cable if new (maybe not if bought secondhand).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

NIMAN wrote: »
    What cable would connect one of these to a USB3.0 port on a laptop?

I assume it would come with such a cable if new (maybe not if bought secondhand).

It won't come with such a cable as it's meant to be fitted internally. A caddy will have a connecting cable of course. If you want to use a cable on its own you'd need a mini Sata to USB AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

If you just want to back up files then pc world has a 1TB usb3 external hard drive with back up software included and 3 year warranty for 70 euro. WD My Passport portable hard drive. (it,s 53 sterling if you nip in to derry.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jonnygee wrote: »
    If you just want to back up files then pc world has a 1TB usb3 external hard drive with back up software included and 3 year warranty for 70 euro. WD My Passport portable hard drive. (it,s 53 sterling if you nip in to derry.)

I already have a backup drive but I'm thinking of buying a solid state one too to use for backups.

My logic? Well there is more chance of the HDD failing some time in the future and losing all the data, compared to a SSD drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The only thing I am unsure about when using the SSD via USB cable ...... AFAIR trim could not be used when it is connected to USB, so periodically it might be advisable to connect it to a SATA cable and run trim on it.

This might explain some of the difficulties:-

http://salutepc.altervista.org/ssd-on-usb-3-0-3-1-with-trim-support-windows-linux.html

Advertisement