Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nite Terrors or Negative Entity

Options
  • 03-11-2017 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

For years I've been having strange occurrences during my sleeping night. it's been happening since I was a teenager. Id feel the presence of someone walking into the room and getting into the bed and lay beside me, when I open my eyes there is nobody there, i'd get out of bed to put the light on and i'd actually feel the switch and then next thing I know I wake up for real in my bed. (I physically never get out of bed to turn on the light) It's so hard to explain it. Basically I wasn't awake at all but it felt like I really was. it's quite scary.
    another night it happened, I could hear a room full of people chatting and my head is spinning I try to scream out ,my body is paralysed and then I actually wake up with a fright.
    Throughout the years when it would happen I would scream out and kick in my sleep till I wake myself up.
    It is starting to happen more often in the last few months. i'd wake in the middle of the night with the feeling of a presence in the room and then it climbs onto me and i'm screaming and kicking my blankets and when I call out for it to go away and bless myself suddenly it stops and I actually wake up for real.
    still all these years of it happening it scares the hell out of me. I do suffer from anxiety so i'm sure that is part of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I'm not certain what you mean by "Negative entity" but i suspect it's something don't really believe in, so i'm more interested in the night terrors.

There can be definite psychological reasons for night terrors, which can be explored with a trained professional. Recurring, chronic, terrifying dreams of a person entering your bed and lying on you would seem like a huge red flag for some deeper issues. Admittedly i'm a complete layperson, but reading your description my first thought was suppressed childhood abuse. This is quite likely a bit too on the nose but i would certainly urge you to talk to an appropriate professional.

These kind of Night terrors are not normal for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

You have sleep paralysis, it's very common to feel the presence of a 'Negative Entity' as you put it, there can also be a massive sense of forboding, like something really bad is just about to happen.

It often happens when more tired than normal, or during stressful periods of your life

It used to happen to me regularly up to a few years ago.

It stopped when I gained the ability to recognize what was happening, if it were to happen now I would say to myself in my mind that nothing bad is going to happen, there is no-one else in the room etc. I also improved my ability to wake myself up.

It took me a few years to get around it, but get around it I did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah this very much sounds like a form of night terrors called Sleep Paralysis or “Old Hag Syndrome”

There’s even a documentary about it on Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Resource: Brian A. Sharpless and Jacques P.Barber, Lifetime prevalence rates of sleep paralysis: A systematic review, Sleep Medicine Reviews, Volume 15, Issue 5, October 2011, Pages 311-315.

Advertisement