Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie still not displaying properly on Chrome browser

Options
  • 03-11-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Boards.ie started displaying as a text only page yesterday with my desktop Chrome browser, presumably because of the maintenance work at your end. But... it's still not displaying properly - just mainly a column of text links on left hand side. All other websites display fine.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Can you try clearing your cookies and cache please to see if that helps? It shouldn't be displaying like that regardless of changes made here.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

Can you try clearing your cookies and cache please to see if that helps? It shouldn't be displaying like that regardless of changes made here.

Been there, done that! Just checked and the site is also not displaying correctly on other desktop browsers here - Opera and IE. It looks the same on all of them in fact, a bit like the connection dropped during page loading, with most images, buttons and formatting missing. All other websites look fine so I'm pretty convinced now there's been a change at your end!!

Note that for my sins I'm using an XP machine so Chrome no longer supported etc. However, boards.ie worked fine (like everything else still does!) a day or so ago.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

It'll be hard to pin down what is happening here with only one report - that would indicate that it's an issue specific to your machine. Is it still displaying like this today?

If you can provide a screenshot of what you are seeing that might help. Thanks.

I understand completely, although it seems a coincidence that I noticed this issue on the day that there was a note on your site about maintenance being done (Nov 2nd I think). Attached are 2 snapshots illustrating what I see, no matter what browser I use - I'll have a look at updating these later, although I think my Opera browser was updated less than a year ago. Also noticed that the 'Find all my posts' link works whereas the 'My threads' link seems to do nothing, if that means anything! And the button to attach files is missing - must move now and post this from a mobile device!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Can you right click somewhere on page and select View Page Source from menu. Then click on one of the "<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" " hyperlinks and wait for that page to load. Then reload Boards.ie's main page.

• Advertisement

Can you right click somewhere on page and select View Page Source from menu. Then click on one of the "<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" " hyperlinks and wait for that page to load. Then reload Boards.ie's main page.

Tried that - no luck as expected. Got the following error message though when trying to load one of the suggested links from the page source:

'This site can’t provide a secure connection
    b-static.net uses an unsupported protocol.
    ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH'

Ran an audit then of main boards.ie page from Chrome's developer tools and there were lots of the same error generated. Tried pasting full output below but no can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Could you post the version of chrome you are using please?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Something I've been asked to get you to try...

Please open Internet Properties from Computer Control Panel.
    Go to Content tab
    Clear SSL slate (from under Certificates)

Something I've been asked to get you to try...

Please open Internet Properties from Computer Control Panel.
    Go to Content tab
    Clear SSL slate (from under Certificates)

I get where you're coming from - I tried that already and no change. As mentioned back a bit, it's an old machine so Chrome is limited to v49. Opera is up to date (v36) though and displays boards.ie the same way, but... not sure if boards.ie ever displayed correctly on this browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I am having the same problem. I cannot find the "content Tab". Is this known under any other name.

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction on this but I think Firefox still offers support for Windows XP or at least did until relatively recently. You might have more joy with it.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.4.1/system-requirements/

Will look into Firefox so... but I'd really love to know why every other site is still working as normal - forums, affiliated sites etc. Can anyone verify if Opera (current PC version) should display boards.ie correctly?

So my understanding is that Chrome and Opera both use the OS's list of predefined trust anchors to verify certificates. So I would expect Opera's handling of the situation to be the same as Chromes. Firefox bundles it's own list which is why you may have more joy with it.

Advertisement