Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracker Mortgages - paying off early

• 03-11-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Does anyone know if the banks have ever offered incentives for people to pay off their tracker mortgages early? We've a tracker and have the option of clearing it off by up to 90% and wondering if it would be worth approaching the bank to see if they'd discount our mortgage? Hope that makes sense!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

PTSB had something a few years ago. It was short lived and no other bank offered a similar product. Ask the question by all means but be prepared to be told no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unlikely, especially if you are a performing loan.

I asked BoI a few years back was there any deals going to get off my tracker, as many people were saying you'd get one.

They said no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If as they say they are loosing their shirts why not do a deal and walk away ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

If they were worried that your circumstances had changed (for the worse) they may be more open to discussing settlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/charlie-weston-vulture-funds-discount-makes-trackers-even-better-value-35443187.html

Charlie says you should be getting a 40% discount to give up your tracker. However the last line is the stumbling block... "If you have a tracker, the bottom line is that should accept nothing less than a 40pc discount on the loan if someone wants you to give it up".

• Advertisement

I rarely listen to anything Charlie says.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

I asked BOI this time last year and under no circumstances would they accept anything less than the full amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Ptsb placed a bond and achieved a negative interest rate of about -0.3%

A 1% tracker gives them a 1.35% gross profit on their cost of funds.

Considering ptsb are not rated as high as boi or aib, you can be certain that trackers are now profitable, just not ads profitable as other loans.

So I can't see any deals

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nye2006

If we paid 100% off do you think they'd bite then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

nye2006 wrote: »

Why? Trackers are profitable. Ecb throwing money at the market. You obviously have a good financial record. Your tracker is a earning loan for them

• Advertisement

Considering in every mortgage the homeowner will pay a lot more than they borrow over the lifetime of it, why would they offer you a deal to end it?

They'd rather you paid every month for 25 or 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

nye2006 wrote: »

Nope. As I was told "if you're in a position to pay it off 100% in one go then you're in a position to pay it off over x number of years as agreed. Either way they get 100%. The idea that trackers don't make money for banks is false, money has been consistently cheaper for them than for you on your tracker for years now

Advertisement