Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good is the Law and Business course?

Options
  • 03-11-2017 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all I am preparing to fill out my CAO form and I think Law and Business will be my choice of preference, I would just like to know if the course if worth it and if it will be highly regarded in other countries. And realistically, the 589* points quota to get accepted has the asterisk, so what would I need to achieve to get accepted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Kcampo wrote: »
    Hi all I am preparing to fill out my CAO form and I think Law and Business will be my choice of preference, I would just like to know if the course if worth it and if it will be highly regarded in other countries. And realistically, the 589* points quota to get accepted has the asterisk, so what would I need to achieve to get accepted?

Highly regarded in what way? No course will just get you whatever job you want. You have to work your best at the course too. Plus the type of activities and experience you get in the course will probably be even more important than the course you do. Just to note though the course is recognised by the Kings Inn as being sufficient to going onto be a barrister so I guess it’s highly regarded in that sense.

Well ideally you’d want to get 590 to be guaranteed. I happen to know that some of the law courses in tcd (not sure if this includes law and business) dropped a bit in round 3 (this is still before College actually starts) so the actual points may have been lower. Email the admissions department and they might let you know what the points were in later rounds as these aren’t usually published.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

It all depends on how you use your time on the course. You will have the opportunity to graduate with a good degree of legal knowledge and a strong theoretical understanding of business. Complement this with some practical experiences in law and/or business through societies etc and I think a student will be able to sufficiently differentiate themselves from pure law or pure business student, no matter which country.

I'm in 4th year of the L&B course, let me know if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kcampo

Hi thanks, do you think it's a good idea to do Law and Business and then go on to do an MBA? I don't find myself super interested in being a lawyer but I am interested in doing a business course and having a lot of knowledge on the legal frameworks in which business operates. I also want to join the societies in TCD related to both Law and Business so it is easily my first choice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Hi thanks, do you think it's a good idea to do Law and Business and then go on to do an MBA? I don't find myself super interested in being a lawyer but I am interested in doing a business course and having a lot of knowledge on the legal frameworks in which business operates. I also want to join the societies in TCD related to both Law and Business so it is easily my first choice course.

In relation to the MBA - the modules on this are very similar to those you will cover on the business side of your UG. I think the average age on the MBA is late 20's and some professional experience is required. Perhaps you may deceide to revisit the topics a few years after your UG but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

Perhaps you may be more interested in the business of law? There are some very interesting things happening in this area and the L&B course would be a great foundation. This book by Susskind is worth a read or watch some of his talks on youtube if the area interests you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

I also want to join the societies in TCD related to both Law and Business so it is easily my first choice course.

The main business society is DUBES (Dublin University Business & Economics Society). The food and drink society is more of a business society than DUBES is.... DUBES is a party society

Then theres the SMF which is really good and gives Trinity students an extra edge over other universities, but wouldn't be much help for going into law, more so investment banking and if you were interested in investment banking you'd probably be better off doing maths/economics/BESS

Also there's the entrepreneurial soceity (TES), trinity economic forum (just 1/2 talks a year) and TEDx.

• Advertisement
Advertisement