Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing

Options
  • 03-11-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    I'm about to get a council house just waiting on the keys..I know I'm really lucky .. I've been on housing list with my son for 8 years and the last 4yrs we have been in tempory housing so I'm over the moon to get a house ..
    What I'm wondering is what will I need for my new home .. I know I'll need beds and other furniture but what about cooker, washing machine fridge and curtains.. Also will the house have bathroom fittings , and do I need tiles and other flooring in the house?
    Thanks in advance for all your help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Smilie12 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm about to get a council house just waiting on the keys..I know I'm really lucky .. I've been on housing list with my son for 8 years and the last 4yrs we have been in tempory housing so I'm over the moon to get a house ..
    What I'm wondering is what will I need for my new home .. I know I'll need beds and other furniture but what about cooker, washing machine fridge and curtains.. Also will the house have bathroom fittings , and do I need tiles and other flooring in the house?
    Thanks in advance for all your help...

Been asked before if you look through the threads.

If its a brand new build you'll be getting a shell. Bathrooms will be tiled around bath only with most likley lino on floors. No power shower, shower doors or curtain, just shower head on the taps.

Same with kitchen, Lino on floor, Kitchen units will be there and plumbed with a sink, There will be no fridge, cooker, washing machine etc...

Stairs and upper floor (bedrooms) will be bare wooden floorboards.

Downstairs (Living room, Hall etc... Bare concrete floors)

You can get help from the social welfare i think towards the cost of the essentials like cooker, washing machine, fridge. But the rest is down to you.

If someone has been living in it before then it might have all the stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

local welfare officer is the place you have to go to , as far as I know you will get about 2000 euro for white goods and beds , best of luck with your new home .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Congratulations!

If newly built it will have all bathroom fittings and a cooker and sink in the kitchen. It should be plumbed for a washing machine. Flooring may be basic but will be fitted, although timber floors upstairs will likely be bare.

If it’s been occupied previously it may have a fridge, curtains etc.

Enjoy the house and remember to open a window for a while after a shower or bath or if drying clothes indoors, even in winter...ventilation is extremely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tony H wrote: »
    local welfare officer is the place you have to go to , as far as I know you will get about 2000 euro for white goods and beds , best of luck with your new home .

They will be lucky to get 1000-1200 off the welfare officer

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Smilie12

Gatling wrote: »
    They will be lucky to get 1000-1200 off the welfare officer

Thanks ... Anything will help.. I will have very little coming from where I am .. I have no problem with getting basics and doing rest as I go. I know I'm lucky to have what I have and even luckier to be getting a home for myself and my son...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks ... Anything will help.. I will have very little coming from where I am .. I have no problem with getting basics and doing rest as I go. I know I'm lucky to have what I have and even luckier to be getting a home for myself and my son...
    If you have any strong friends, keep an eye on Adverts.ie for cheap furniture, as sometimes it's cheaper to have someone take a half decent couch for free than it is to dump it!
    And then buy some of the coverings new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Ask for help to cover the essential items, then as someone pointed out above, watch adverts for cheap or even free furniture. Also, go into FB and "like" local buy and sell and freebie pages and keep an eye on them. My mam got a lovely leather sofa for free from one of these pages, the lovely man dropped it out to her house and all. You might very lucky.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lormurph1

hi i recently got a letter stating that they will keep me under consideration for any suitable property i select on the cbl site.

did anybody get any letter like this?? if so, what does it mean???

lormurph1 wrote: »
    hi i recently got a letter stating that they will keep me under consideration for any suitable property i select on the cbl site.

did anybody get any letter like this?? if so, what does it mean???

Just means they will consider your applications on properties in the choice based lettings,
    If you only recently went on to the housing list expect a 10+ year wait

anybody anymore thoughts on this?

• Advertisement

anybody anymore thoughts on this?

Did you get access to the CBL website

Yes im on the housing list nearly 7 years.always on cbl too

Yes im on the housing list nearly 7 years.always on cbl too

As far as I know that letter just really means there isn't much in your areas of choice but your fairly high up on list so they are hoping something you like comes up on cbl outside your areas ...it's what happened to me..

thanks for the reply Smilie12 im just curious did u get a house after that?how long were u waiting?

thanks for the reply Smilie12 im just curious did u get a house after that?how long were u waiting?

Was waiting about 2 years after I got that letter.. but I wasn't located within a town and was only allocated a two bed which were very hard to come by .. I was willing to move anywhere except into the nearest town for personal reasons...

Was waiting about 2 years after I got that letter.. but I wasn't located within a town and was only allocated a two bed which were very hard to come by

Hence the housed by need setup you only get a property for your needs ,
    If you have a single child you only get a two bed ,
    If you have two kids of the same sex then you get a two bed,
    Have a boy and girl over ten then you get offers on 3 beds

thanks for the info smilie12 did u get a letter or phonecall to say u got the house?

thanks gatling we are a couple with 1 child

Gatling wrote: »
    Hence the housed by need setup you only get a property for your needs ,
    If you have a single child you only get a two bed ,
    If you have two kids of the same sex then you get a two bed,
    Have a boy and girl over ten then you get offers on 3 beds
    Thanks I knew this .. I wasn't complaining just explaining why I had a longer wait.. I am very grateful for what I've been given ..

thanks for the info smilie12 did u get a letter or phonecall to say u got the house?

Phone call first then letter with official confirmation. A week later keys..

• Advertisement

Was that with cork city council smilie12?

Was that with cork city council smilie12?
    No it was Waterford city / county

anybody else get a letter similer to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

anybody else get a letter similer to this?

Just wondering did you have to wait long I'm also on the cork list got a call to update my paper work / interview!
    Wasn't expecting this so not sure are we just updating I for are in with a chance to be offered something.

Advertisement