Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A camper as your sole Vehicle. Is it worth it??

Options
  • 03-11-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Noob question here... Sorry if its been answered before but I'm finding it hard to track down a definitive answer.

Been looking at vans for the last while and close to settling on one. The thing is, once I have it, I really don't see myself needing a second vehicle at the moment. I dont use it for work or shopping as I cycle quite a lot. Weekend trips can be made in the van. I would like to get rid of the car if possible as its at the stage now where insuring it for a year is a hell of a lot more than the vehicle is even worth so whats the point?!

Is it worth it tho? I have heard if you insure a camper as your sole vehicle you will loose your no claims bonus, if you go back to a car....
    I guess if a camper is your sole vehicle then it must be taxed as private?? If this is the case can it be insured just as a private van and not a camper?

Any info/experience or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Similar to you, didn't have need of a car and a camper so got rid of the car. Have an eighties vw t25. Find it relabile and easy to use around town. The ncb thing is a pain but can't see myself wanting to go back to having a car, find a van more practical and useful.

No need to tax as private, can still be taxed as a camper. I got insurance through the motor caravan club that covers me for use as a sole vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thanks! Seems we are in the same boat! Im torn between a t25 and a t4!! Yep a van would be far more practical, in my car the back seats are always down with stuff chucked in the back, heck ive even slept on those folded seats on numerous occasions.

Losing my ncb is really putting me off tho, without it insurance on my current vehicle would actually buy a camper. Plus you never know what (or who!) might need those back seats in the future.... Is there any way around it?? Myself and my O/H currently live in different cities due to work, suppose i could give her the car and let her be the main driver and I can be named, but we are working towards being in the same place and if we do the car will again be redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Bear in mind that the extra insurance you'll have to pay would tax on a small car for 12 months. For me I do enough miles that fuel saving driving a small car vs. camper pays the other costs so keeping a small car makes sense. Small car is so much handier about the city and fits in all the multistorey, underground car parks and small car spaces.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Me too on a 87 VW T25.

But to run it full time would be a major expense, as its a 1.9 petrol. It does the rated mpg of 25+ per gallon.
    But its expensive enough on a run from the midlands to Dublin and back. But Its a great driver , I like it.

Daily run around is a clio, which is miserly enough to have it, instead of full time driving the T25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have a bongo as my only car but I have a motorcycle also. As above, the only drawback is fuel economy. My NCB is kept alive by being insured on the OHs car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement