Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charge point install

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

So. I just bought a tethered type 2 Rolec 32a 2nd hand but unused off ebay.co.uk for £275 delivered. Has some armoured wiring incluslded and also an ASL emlite meter that seller didn't need.

Think that's a good deal?

What the hell is a smart meter for, think he was planning something more technical than I'll need.

As per above - anyone recommend an electrician experienced in installation?

I've seen a lot of mentions here that installation should be roughly €200 since I'm supplying the charger - but talking to 3 local electricians that were recommended 2 have never installed a charger but will come have a look and then decide, another has done it once. Another that I found through Google, who expressly mentions EV charger installation, and who asked questions that showed he knew what he was talking about, just quoted my over €500 just to install.

For details, it's a Rolec going on outside of wall where meter is and with fuse box inside same wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's ridiculous, it's pretty much the same as installing an outside socket. It needs its own 40A RCBO in your consumer unit and he needs to use 6mm2 wire. Any sparks can do that job if you tell him that. It sounds like the easiest possible scenario (same as mine was). I wouldn't expect to pay an awful lot more than €100 for the job (which takes about an hour) + parts (cable and RCBO come to about €40-€50)

Do you know any electrician, how about someone you have used before?

Actually worse than I thought, checking his quote again and with VAT it's €600 he wants just to install.

I've noticed that since new grant came in thus year, those installers that show up when you Google charger installation have all jumped in price a bit.

As said, I've 2 or 3 local electricians who are interested in doing the work, and thanks to your advice probably more than able, just that haven't done it before and want to come see exactly what's involved before doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Patser wrote: »
    Actually worse than I thought, checking his quote again and with VAT it's €600 he wants just to install.

I've noticed that since new grant came in thus year, those installers that show up when you Google charger installation have all jumped in price a bit.

As said, I've 2 or 3 local electricians who are interested in doing the work, and thanks to your advice probably more than able, just that haven't done it before and want to come see exactly what's involved before doing it.
    All the electrician needs to know is the load and location. After that it’s the same as providing an out door socket.
    They only need to size the cable , MCB&RCD or an RCBO. There’s nothing special about it , they connect the live , earth and neutral to the charger and that looks after itself.

• Advertisement

Another quote in €320.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

First thing to do is NOT tell them it's an EV chargepoint when looking for quotes.
    Just say "32 amp outdoor socket" and that you have the socket already.
    Say 6 square mm cable must be used and that a 40 amp C-curve MCB is required.

In the case of the rolec you bought, there is an RCBO in the chargepoint already.

Haha it's madness Ted. Local electrician just showed up to have a look, and as ye say above, he's saying it's a nothing job, has decided to do it here and now for €70 + whatever certificate comes to

Where did other lads get €600???

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You owe us a pint so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Haha it's madness Ted. Local electrician just showed up to have a look, and as ye say above, he's saying it's a nothing job, has decided to do it here and now for €70 + whatever certificate comes to

Where did other lads get €600???

The grant is €600! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Just to get back to the OP. My meter box has a small consumer unit fitted inside it. This was installed by the electrician that did all of the wiring on the new build house. The meter box is ~ 20m from the house and the consumer unit in the meter box feeds 2 sheds. This work was all certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

cros13 wrote: »
    First thing to do is NOT tell them it's an EV chargepoint when looking for quotes.
    Just say "32 amp outdoor socket" and that you have the socket already.
    Say 6 square mm cable must be used and that a 40 amp C-curve MCB is required.

In the case of the rolec you bought, there is an RCBO in the chargepoint already.

Why a C curve?
    The earth fault loop needed for that is very low. B curve is adequate. It should be an RCBO rather than an MCB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I believe it’s to stop unnecessary tripping during high starting currents.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

KCross wrote: »
    I believe it’s to stop unnecessary tripping during high starting currents.

I don't think there is high starting currents on chargers is there?
    0.36 I think is the loop needed for a c40 and on some installations it could be tight getting that

So the Rolec stopped working last night - granny cable and public charger working OK.

Nothing strange to it, nothing burnt out in box, nothing looks loose, blue light on but..

Plugged it into car and nothing, bit of wiggling and got the flashing orange initialising lights off car but it never went blue and charging. I tripped the box to reset a few times and no joy. Beyond ringing electrician or replacing, anyone any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

So the Rolec stopped working last night - granny cable and public charger working OK.

Nothing strange to it, nothing burnt out in box, nothing looks loose, blue light on but..

Plugged it into car and nothing, bit of wiggling and got the flashing orange initialising lights off car but it never went blue and charging. I tripped the box to reset a few times and no joy. Beyond ringing electrician or replacing, anyone any ideas.

Type 2....is it an Ioniq you're driving?

You could try rule out a fault at the car end first. Can you plug into someones home CP near you and see if the car starts to charge? Making sure the charge timers are off. Maybe check out plugshare and ask the most local EV users if you can test your car.

goz83 wrote: »
    Type 2....is it an Ioniq you're driving?

You could try rule out a fault at the car end first. Can you plug into someones home CP near you and see if the car starts to charge? Making sure the charge timers are off. Maybe check out plugshare and ask the most local EV users if you can test your car.

Type 2, it's an i3 and fairly sure it's not car. As said public chargers and granny cable work. Yep made absolutely sure car set to instant charge.

It is doing the 'handshake' initialising phase, just not moving on to charge.

Got home, plugged in, just to see if it miraculously fixed itself.

No joy, orange light

Cursed at it.

Loud clunk noise, started charging?!?!

Things fecking voice activated???

Do I still replace or hope its a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Got home, plugged in, just to see if it miraculously fixed itself.

No joy, orange light

Cursed at it.

Loud clunk noise, started charging?!?!

Things fecking voice activated???

Do I still replace or hope its a once off.

Does it normally clunk when it starts charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yes, that would be the contactors engaging.

• Advertisement

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

cros13 wrote: »
    Yes, that would be the contactors engaging.

Just wondering if this is normal behaviour. My Zappi doesn't clunk when starting a charge.

Advertisement