Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown Kilcock New Development

Options
  • 03-11-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi All, wondering is anyone here buying or interested in millerstown development. Went to viewing today obviously the showhouses were nice but overall the development seemed nice too. We’re looking at a 4-bed semi. Had previously looked at carton grove in maynooth and weren’t overly impressed.

Price wise it’s probably a bit steep but so is everything I suppose and apart from not being in maynooth it felt like good value in comparison to carton grove.

Have read a few notes about drainage issues in Millerstown wondering is anyone else concerned on this?

The finish and layout of millerstown seemed more family orientated too which suits us. I’m not from the area my girlfriend is so it’s a big move for me. Any thoughts on Kilcock in general? Seems like there’s a good community there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

You've seen the "New House Kilcock" thread?

Houses are nice, 4/5 beds anyway. Pricing is cray cray. Like, good second hand detached homes in Abbeyfield only achieved 425 (closed September) and 450 (closed June) during the Summer having been on for 8/9 months.

https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/79-abbeyfield-kilcock-co-kildare/3740994

http://www.propertypartners.ie/residential/brochure/3726503

So, the new ones have over 100k premium on the above in the space of a few months? People are mad. Those houses struggled to sell and they have better gardens. Sure, work needed to be done but still. The more i think about....

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Houses look fine from outside
    Location is not that good. Actually if you look at their brochure they are just describing Maynooth, not Kilcock :)
    Maynooth price for kilcock that would bother me...
    Developer has bad history from the boom
    No ventillation except in wet rooms. Thats going to end up with mould with extra airtightness of new regulation.
    At that price would havr expected air to water heatpimp with underfloor heating on the detached ones

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Take2Sean

Opted against it in the end. Couldn't justify it...The panic in people on the open day to buy pressured us I think but clear head said forget it! Thanks for the feedback

Social media talking about a lot of the housing being allocated to social housing. The front houses are not an indication of what the rest of the estate will look like. Nothing against social housing but I have an issue with builders putting up fancy houses at the front for cosmetic purposes and charging a massive premium which is not at all representative of the area or the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 greg1981

Any more info or links about social housing at Millerstown ixus ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Flood plain that would never have been rezoned if it were actually in Kildare.

Take2Sean wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Kilcock in general? Seems like there’s a good community there.
    Very closed clannish place. Polish lad had a heavy stone flowerpot dropped on his head walking home from the pub a couple of months ago. Was in hospital for weeks. There is alot and I mean alot of murder in Kilcock. I saw a car robbed from the petrol station there. There is alot of crime and a very very dangerous element. You have to be able to stand up for yourself.

Rubbish everywhere in Kilcock the riverbank at Millerstown is the once and future street drinking location.

Your kids can't go to school in Kilcock the schools are full.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Very closed clannish place. Polish lad had a heavy stone flowerpot dropped on his head walking home from the pub a couple of months ago. Was in hospital for weeks. There is alot and I mean alot of murder in Kilcock. I saw a car robbed from the petrol station there. There is alot of crime and a very very dangerous element. You have to be able to stand up for yourself.

Alot of murder? Very dangerous element? I'm looking forward to hearing why I never hear about these things... A local cover up perhaps?

Yeah interesting. Have many friends living in kilcock for years, one of them is a cop and never heard of anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sunshinery

Moved to Kilcock a year ago after renting in various parts of Dublin & Meath & can safely say it’s where we’ll be staying. I don’t know of any murders in Kilcock? Very little crime, nice community. It’s a real up & coming town. Lots of new business opening & a lot of the run down buildings have recently been sold. Traffic is a bit of a nightmare at the moment due to the roads at the new estate but once it’s finishd it should be ok. Went to view those houses out of interest & they’re beautiful but I felt a bit on top of each other. They are selling fast it seems

• Advertisement

SQ2 wrote: »
    Alot of murder? Very dangerous element? I'm looking forward to hearing why I never hear about these things... A local cover up perhaps?
    It was on the news yesterday!

Kind of review we all wanted to hear. Living in maynooth myselft since 2006 and love it but money-wise its too expensive to buy here so kilcock was the option and there we go, we are buying 3bed semi in millerstown. They were meant to be bigger than standard houses in ireland but i dont think they are tbh. Especially the 3rd bedroom in 3 beds houses, very small to say the least.
    Traffic was always nightmare there so i guess we will just have to get used to...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Rubbish everywhere in Kilcock the riverbank at Millerstown is the once and future street drinking location.

Your kids can't go to school in Kilcock the schools are full.

Are you sure you're talking about the same Kilcock because that sounds nothing like the reality.

Possibly referring to the gangland shooting in Rockford Ave back in 2012? Could happen anywhere though.

ixus wrote: »
    Possibly referring to the gangland shooting in Rockford Ave back in 2012? Could happen anywhere though.

Could be, I'm not entirely sure I'd describe it as 'a lot of murder' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

I was driving by this estate this morning and the site looked flooded. The estate is 1) between two rivers in addition to the canal and 2) lower than the road. Does anyone know if flooding was addressed or raised as an issue in the planning for this estate?

I was driving by this estate this morning and the site looked flooded. The estate is 1) between two rivers in addition to the canal and 2) lower than the road. Does anyone know if flooding was addressed or raised as an issue in the planning for this estate?

It was part of the planning.

When you say flooding, are you talking about houses underwater or areas that have been designed to take flood waters?

Graham wrote: »

When you say flooding, are you talking about houses underwater or areas that have been designed to take flood waters?
    We aren't the architects.
    It is flooded but not as bad as it going to flood when they build the council estate behind.

How do you know they are going to build council estate behind? I could not find any info regarding this...

greg1981 wrote: »
    How do you know they are going to build council estate behind? I could not find any info regarding this...

Social housing is in the planning. That'll be social housing for Meath people too so actual Kilcockians won't get a look in; they'll be from hellholes like Trim and Tara and Kells.

Actually no train to Trim - should keep the Dubs away. Might move there myself at this rate.

Could be, I'm not entirely sure I'd describe it as 'a lot of murder' ;)
    Any murder is too many. Let's not make light of it.
    What about the handbag snatched beside the church a few months ago?

Crime is out of control in Kilcock.

Do you read the Champion?

• Advertisement

I'm not able to determine whether what I saw was acceptable flooding or 'oh £$"&' flooding.

Social housing is in the planning. That'll be social housing for Meath people too so actual Kilcockians won't get a look in; they'll be from hellholes like Trim and Tara and Kells.

Actually no train to Trim - should keep the Dubs away. Might move there myself at this rate.

I can only assume you're trolling at this point.

There was apparently one murder almost a decade ago which you described as 'murder and I mean a lot of murder'.

You've identified one other crime so far.

I think it would be fair to say your summation of crime levels is verging on the hysterical.

I'm not able to determine whether what I saw was acceptable flooding or 'oh £$"&' flooding.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

There were half a dozen hi-viz vests checking out the ditches around what will become the new R125 junction this morning so it's probably fair to say it's being watched closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

In all fairness to marieholmfan I have often heard Kilcock described as the South Central Los Angeles of Kildare.

In all fairness to marieholmfan I have often heard Kilcock described as the South Central Los Angeles of Kildare.

You just wouldn't believe the number of times I've been out shopping, running to Macaris for fish & chips or heading into O'Keefes for a bite to eat and I've stopped and thought to myself, you know what this is just like LA.

It's uncanny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Whilst not to the point of putting the current houses that have been built at risk, when further homes are built and more soil becomes concrete/tar, I'd be a bit more concerned.

Having said that, if I'd just bought one of those houses facing the main road, I would be not too happy of these views.

highdef wrote: »
    Having said that, if I'd just bought one of those houses facing the main road, I would be not too happy of these views.

I would have been slightly more cautious before today. I'd actually feel a bit happier now the flood mitigation has been tested.

That said, it's far too early to call it yet and the water flows will almost certainly continue to change as the site develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

But still, only finding out now that your little park gets covered in deep flood water with a much deeper river further down is not very nice having paid a large sum for your new home.

I see this flood plain area as being very dangerous. If the river were to flood just a small amount (say after a heavy summer shower), a child could be playing in the shallow water of the park, step forward and then be in a fast moving deep river.

I would have been slightly more cautious before today. I'd actually feel a bit happier now the flood mitigation has been tested.

Tested under what conditions? The above photos are shocking. What difference would another two hours of hard rain have made? I doubt insurers would be reassured by those photos.

• Advertisement

Of North Kildare -- don't forget Athy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement