Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown Kilcock New Development

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

The FRAMS is the guidance document.
    I wouldn’t share it here because people are not qualified enough to understand it.
    But if people would like to know where to get it and have it explained to them then they can request it from Meath CoCo.
    I have taken some extracts to explain certain issues in dispute on this forum.
    I’m not hiding anything, I’ve no ties to this except for a close family member bought here and asked me to investigate. It was obviously without prejudice because I do not claim to be an expert in flooding.
    But I talked her through the FRAMS and explained the basics of the document.
    That was free to her obviously but I certainly wouldn’t just hand it to some people here, they can do that themselves.
    I owe nobody in this forum any favors.

I have explained where to get this, I am hiding nothing nor do I need to hide anything.

People can make up their own minds who is being more detailed.

Most of the posters are making assumptions.
    If you want the facts go get the FRAMS
    Have been following this with plenty of popcorn :)

I get that the FRAMS is the guidance document, but is the issue now that the developer and Meath Co Co are at odds over who is ultimately responsible for carrying out certain flood management works?

I do think you are being unfair on the "most of the posters are making assumptions" piece.
    I've seen the brochures for this development and I didnt notice anything about the recreational areas they mention being used as a flood storage area or a flood attenuation pond.
    This thread or maybe it was the other similar one suggested that people who were actively trying to buy were finding it hard to get this information from those building/selling it.
    In my opinion the developer and agent should have been much more upfront with this info.

People in Ireland arent very used to new developments having purposely built recreational areas, landscaped with trees, paths and street lights that are meant to flood.

It's fair enough that you say people can get their own info, like the FRAMS. That guidance doc may bear no resemblance to what has now been put in place. Who's responsible for making sure this development gets built as per guidelines?
    The two main parties are still trying to find this out after people have moved in.

To note;
    I also dont think the houses will flood.
    I believe that those who were interested in this development did not expect it to flood as much as it did. For me, this was due to how the develpment was advertised.
    If those areas had been advertised as flood stoage areas or informed as such as soon as the flooding was visible, there would have been much less "assumptions" from the general public.

It looks like a "lets figure this out as we go".

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    Have been following this with plenty of popcorn :)

I get that the FRAMS is the guidance document, but is the issue now that the developer and Meath Co Co are at odds over who is ultimately responsible for carrying out certain flood management works?

I do think you are being unfair on the "most of the posters are making assumptions" piece.
    I've seen the brochures for this development and I didnt notice anything about the recreational areas they mention being used as a flood storage area or a flood attenuation pond.
    This thread or maybe it was the other similar one suggested that people who were actively trying to buy were finding it hard to get this information from those building/selling it.
    In my opinion the developer and agent should have been much more upfront with this info.

People in Ireland arent very used to new developments having purposely built recreational areas, landscaped with trees, paths and street lights that are meant to flood.

It's fair enough that you say people can get their own info, like the FRAMS. That guidance doc may bear no resemblance to what has now been put in place. Who's responsible for making sure this development gets built as per guidelines?
    The two main parties are still trying to find this out after people have moved in.

To note;
    I also dont think the houses will flood.
    I believe that those who were interested in this development did not expect it to flood as much as it did. For me, this was due to how the develpment was advertised.
    If those areas had been advertised as flood stoage areas or informed as such as soon as the flooding was visible, there would have been much less "assumptions" from the general public.

It looks like a "lets figure this out as we go".

Agreed with all you say.
    The only way to find out if it is installed as per FRAMS is via final sign-off on the estate.
    So nobody has the answer to that yet.
    But if it was found that they didn’t, they would be forced to do so.
    From the info I was given, Zone A-D (boycetown down to bridge at Rye River Cafe) were part of sign off.
    Developer argued that this was not their land so how could they carry out those works.
    Meath CoCo said no sign-off until it’s done.
    Developer has conceded and all the works done throughout the summer were to meet this requirement.
    We will soon find out if this is accepted and developer has met the FRAMS requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

The big issue here is the overall development is based on the FRAMS report from 2009,the more recent Eastern CFRAM document is much more onerous in its anticipated flows for the rivers/streams. If you read the An Board Pleanala inspectors report he recommended that the development be refused on this point.

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/246/R246141.pdf

kieran. wrote: »
    The big issue here is the overall development is based on the FRAMS report from 2009,the more recent Eastern CFRAM document is much more onerous in its anticipated flows for the rivers/streams. If you read the An Board Pleanala inspectors report he recommended that the development be refused on this point.

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/246/R246141.pdf

Kind of correct.
    The CFRAMS was implemented into the revised Flood Risk Assessment.
    The revised flow rates were considered and updated, where necessary, accordingly.
    In some cases the FRAMS were more onerous.
    An Bord Pleanala instructed the Developer to compensate the people that procured an external Flood Assessor. €5k from memory, and their findings were also included in the final report.

An Bord Pleanala makes reference to the FRAMS as the guiding document but there were addendum via CFRAMS and the independent assessment.

That was my understanding of the reports anyways?

An Bord Pleanala ultimately granted permission and it was my understanding from reading all the reports that this was as a result of the CFRAMS and external audit forming part of the final Flood Risk Assessment by the Developer.

But I am happy to stand corrected on any of the above. That was how I interpreted the planning documents available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Kind of correct.
    The CFRAMS was implemented into the revised Flood Risk Assessment.
    The revised flow rates were considered and updated, where necessary, accordingly.
    In some cases the FRAMS were more onerous.
    An Bord Pleanala instructed the Developer to compensate the people that procured an external Flood Assessor. €5k from memory, and their findings were also included in the final report.

An Bord Pleanala makes reference to the FRAMS as the guiding document but there were addendum via CFRAMS and the independent assessment.

That was my understanding of the reports anyways?

An Bord Pleanala ultimately granted permission and it was my understanding from reading all the reports that this was as a result of the CFRAMS and external audit forming part of the final Flood Risk Assessment by the Developer.

But I am happy to stand corrected on any of the above. That was how I interpreted the planning documents available.

You advised family to buy in this estate.

I can't believe you are standing by that advice given he legal situation and the fact the development has had to compensate people for engineers report.

This estate is a minefield. There is nothing extraordinary about it that isn't available elsewhere.

It follows therefore that I'd personally be embarrassed having advised my family into such a situation.

Begs belief tbh

• Advertisement

I was asked to look over the planning documents and help her to understand the information and the engineers reports etc.
    As I said it was without prejudice and there was no obligation for them to buy the property.
    Did I say that there were easier and less complicated houses to buy and that this maybe wouldn’t be worth all the hassle, yes I did. In fact, I recommended those new houses at Ryebridge which were going for €15k cheaper!
    But they loved the house and all they wanted to know was if what they were telling her matched what the was outlined in the planning documents ..
    They had told her the houses were built 600mm above the 1/1000 AEP, this was true.
    They told her it was based on the FRAMS report which was an independent document created by a steering group of Meath CoCo, Kildare CoCo etc. this was true.
    They told her that numerous tests such as LIDDAR and detailed BIM flood modeling were carried out, which is above the norm for most flood assessments. This was true.
    In fact there wasn’t anything I could find which proved them to be liars. So that’s what I told her.
    Her and the hubby made their own decision from there.
    Since then some other neighbors had independent engineers do an assessment of site levels etc and that also proved to be true.
    Are they squeaky clean? I’m sure they’re not, most construction people have a tendency to blag here and there.
    But in a general sense the information they passed on seemed to correlate with the info in the planning docs.
    I’m not in the business of advising on such things, I’m in the industry but I’m not a planning adjudicator.. I merely assessed documents that I can understand better than she could and found nothing untoward.
    I had a friend who bought a 2 bed apartment in Clane back in the boom where he paid €300k and also something like €20k stamp duty on a 100% mortgage paying ridiculous interest. Place is probably still only worth €180k now 10 years later.
    So there are much worse stories out there.
    Each to their own buddy.
    Must be good being so clever on Boards.
    You’re so intelligent and insightful :D

And some of my timings were actually right.
    I just checked ...
    33 min from westfield to Leixlip village walking.
    And 20 mins to the train station.
    I actually underestimated how long it would take, silly me :)
    Guess you lads were right, I can’t be trusted to estimate time and distance :P

And look what a good friend of mine sent me to further prove I was right.
    Westfield 4 bed semi-D’s on sale way back in February (somebody said they weren’t sold til much later after Millerstown) for €440-€475k for 100 sq/ft less than Millerstown.
    Damn, I was right about that too.
    €80k more for a smaller 4-bed than Millerstown a half an hours walk away from civilization..
    Some people just value community and space and an extra €80k in their pocket and a nice river view more :P
    In fact I might whip one up myself there more I think of it!

Having a mate who is a real estate agent is really handy sometimes.
    See Castlewellen 4 bed semi D prices attached.
    €453k for a 4-bed semi D.
    Same sq/ft but I am reliably informed that one of the bedrooms is the attic space converted.

I said €450k for 4 bed semis in Castlewellen and Westfield.
    Well what do you know, I was only bloody right..

Ha!

Look at me go...

Now would I buy in Castlewellen myself, yes I would prefer this to either Millerstown or Westfield and I believe all things considered this would be the best of the 3..
    However, not many people are in the position that a bank will offer them a mortgage of over €400k plus €50k of their own savings. Hence why my sister, and I’m sure many others, moved to Kilcock.

Last post from me!

Best of luck to all the residents of Millerstown. I hope it gets sorted for you all soon.
    Ignore the idiots in here calling you “suckers” sitting behind a computer from their more than likely rented apartment over a chipper.

Keep the pressure on the Developer, the CoCo and the TD’s and hopefully it will be resolved sooner or later.

Decent families who just wanted to buy a home for their future!
    Alot of the posters in this forum Ought to be ashamed of themelves, but they won’t be.. so ignore them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Last post from me!

Best of luck to all the residents of Millerstown. I hope it gets sorted for you all soon.
    Ignore the idiots in here calling you “suckers” sitting behind a computer from their more than likely rented apartment over a chipper.

Keep the pressure on the Developer, the CoCo and the TD’s and hopefully it will be resolved sooner or later.

Alot of the posters in this forum Ought to be ashamed of themelves, but they won’t be.. so ignore them!

Last post until someone says something you don't agree with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Last post from me!

Ignoring what has now become your norm of insulting to self-vindicate. Although I do agree with you on ignoring the people calling future residents "suckers" and I'd add ignore comments from posters who over generalise and then cherry pick items to "prove" they are right. 
    Couldn't agree more on hoping the families get moved in and that the developers and CoCo get this resolved quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I don't think anyone called the buyers suckers?

As for your comment that not many people are in a position to pay 450k, enough are... otherwise the estate would not sell out and it will.

You assume that anyone that points out the negatives of Millerstown is through jealousy, because we all live in a flat above a chipper?

Best of luck to you, some of your posts were very informative when you weren't being an arrogant dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Last post from me!

And I like the majority of posters here wish them well for the future. It does not mean that we can't be critical of a developer who has decided to build on land which always flooded during periods of heavy rain. We can also be critical of the planning process which has left these families in the situation they are in.

A park out the front where kids play is to be used as an attenuation pond from what I can understand. In other words it is a flood plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

liam7831 wrote: »
    Last post until someone says something you don't agree with :)

Point proven I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They are nice houses, but it would be a rent rather than buy from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Liam you my friend are one of the real dredges of this forum. Bore off

What exactly is your problem? What's your motivation behind getting so personal with the responses? Know Mr.Reilly by any chance?

What exactly is your problem? What's your motivation behind getting so personal with the responses? Know Mr.Reilly by any chance?

No, I can’t stand smart arses who contribute NOTHING to a conversation. I’ve given anyone reading this thread all the info they need to get informed.
    Yet they say I “cherry pick” info???
    People are stressing out over getting in houses and I am sticking up for them..
    I’ve a vested interest in shutting up clowns!

No, I can’t stand smart arses who contribute NOTHING to a conversation. I’ve given anyone reading this thread all the info they need to get informed.
    Yet they say I “cherry pick” info???
    People are stressing out over getting in houses and I am sticking up for them..
    I’ve a vested interest in shutting up clowns!
    You're being quite aggressive with virtually everyone, so are you saying everyone is acting the smart arse, everyone is contributing noting, everyone is a clown? That right there is another example of you cherry picking to vindicate yourself.
    I've repeatedly tried to engage with you constructively and you're having none of it and your excuses are pretty thin "I've got better things to do", "I've got a job", "I'm done" and then bursts of posts after these where you've put time and effort into trying to prove yourself right.  I've always given you credit for giving lots of info that no one else had seen or presented that can only be viewed as helpful and progressing everyones understanding. I've also thanked you for some of it and the response has been to call everyone simpletons and trolls and smart arses. In the last while I haven't found you very interested in being helpful just trying to prove yourself right, bully other people into not posting and for some reason trying to drop the mic and shutting down/up <insert insult of the day>.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

djbulldogg1983 posts make up over 1/4 (75 out of 290) the posts in this thread, gotta hand it to him... he is dedicated.

• Advertisement

Sticking up for the people who hav bought here and I’ll be happy if it gives any of them comfort!!

I’m not calling everyone clueless.
    And I’ve enjoyed talking with people who could have a reasoned discussion.

25% - that is impressive.

Well at least the thread isn’t just filled with rumours and mis-truths now so my work here is done.

And if anyone starts spreading rumours again I’ll come back again and call bull**** if it’s bull****.

No apologies made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

And if anyone starts spreading rumours again I’ll come back again and call bull**** if it’s bull****.

No apologies made.

Like when you were called out on the bull** about Millerstown being "a 2 min walk to the village and the train and a 3 min drive to Maynooth."

Nice estate but it's not worth taking such a big risk when making the biggest purchase of your life... in my opinion.

f@steddie wrote: »
    Like when you were called out on the bull** about Millerstown being "a 2 min walk to the village and the train and a 3 min drive to Maynooth."

Nice estate but it's not worth taking such a big risk when making the biggest purchase of your life... in my opinion.

Hilarious... Like that is the only thing people can latch into out of the many things I discussed in over 25% of the posts...

Let’s be realistic here... it’s a 30 second bloody drive from the front entrance to the bridge with no traffic that was where I then estimated in my head that it would be a pretty quick walk too....
    why are you all hung up on that one statement?? It’s insane... no, it’s laughable!

And sorry I was out by a minute with Millerstown to Maynooth in a car.

Hilarious... Like that is the only thing people can latch into out of the many things I discussed in over 25% of the posts...

Let’s be realistic here... it’s a 30 second bloody drive from the front entrance to the bridge with no traffic that was where I then estimated in my head that it would be a pretty quick walk too....
    why are you all hung up on that one statement?? It’s insane... no, it’s laughable!
    It's not one statement, I have (and others) pointed out where you were coming with strong bias on things and a number of times you've just ignored my questions and comments. I personally have given up highlighting them because they were so frequent and you have been clearly ignoring them. You've also been repeatedly given credit for the good info you've posted so the whole "Whoa is me" is wearing thin.
    For example one that wasn't highlighted by anyone
    "7. €395k for a 4 bed semi in Kilcock is expensive. However this is off set by the €20k HTB scheme that most of the residents would have used. The houses are also A rated so comparing to older estates in Kilcock isn’t really relevant. In today’s housing market €395k is in line with expectancy."
    Your justification here is pure BS, the HTB is available to all new houses under €500k so has nothing to do with whether €395k is expensive or not. I didn't see any examples of comparisons with older estates? I gave links to house prices after you claimed €450k was normal for Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth and the ones I linked to were specifically new builds and said so in the links. So you concede it is an expensive price and then go on to provide two justifications that are irrelevant. There are a lot of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

And sorry I was out by a minute with Millerstown to Maynooth in a car.

96 posts between two usernames ALL of them about Millerstown. Previously a resident but not anymore hmmmmmmmm
    ;) :~)

Well lucky that you aren’t buying there then isn’t it!
    I bet you don’t even own a house!

96 posts between two usernames ALL of them about Millerstown. Previously a resident but not anymore hmmmmmmmm
    ;) :~)

Kilcock is the murder capital of Ireland...
    this is the person making those claims.
    Won’t even waste my breath on you!

itzme wrote: »
    It's not one statement, I have (and others) pointed out where you were coming with strong bias on things and a number of times you've just ignored my questions and comments. I personally have given up highlighting them because they were so frequent and you have been clearly ignoring them. You've also been repeatedly given credit for the good info you've posted so the whole "Whoa is me" is wearing thin.
    For example one that wasn't highlighted by anyone
    "7. €395k for a 4 bed semi in Kilcock is expensive. However this is off set by the €20k HTB scheme that most of the residents would have used. The houses are also A rated so comparing to older estates in Kilcock isn’t really relevant. In today’s housing market €395k is in line with expectancy."
    Your justification here is pure BS, the HTB is available to all new houses under €500k so has nothing to do with whether €395k is expensive or not. I didn't see any examples of comparisons with older estates? I gave links to house prices after you claimed €450k was normal for Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth and the ones I linked to were specifically new builds and said so in the links. So you concede it is an expensive price and then go on to provide two justifications that are irrelevant. There are a lot of these.

I used two specific examples myself... I said Westfield and Castlewellen were €450k for 4 bed semi-d’s and I was right.
    The links you sent didn’t specify the type of houses ... it just says “greater than 1200sq/ft” or something vague like that.
    I tried to answer as many questions as I could but can’t answer everything... I’m not a bloody guru.. but 99% of the things I did say were from a place of knowledge of the whole situation.
    Anyways, tried my best!

• Advertisement

I used two specific examples myself... I said Westfield and Castlewellen were €450k for 4 bed semi-d’s and I was right.
    The links you sent didn’t specify the type of houses ... it just says “greater than 1200sq/ft” or something vague like that.
    I tried to answer as many questions as I could but can’t answer everything... I’m not a bloody guru.. but 99% of the things I did say were from a place of knowledge of the whole situation.
    Anyways, tried my best!

People buying are actually paying €375k in reality with the HTB deposit with interest rates and Stamp Duty both about as low as they have ever been.
    That’s not an exact quote about stamp
    Duty it a generalistaion, I’ve not checked the figures so don’t go holding me to them... but in a general sense Stamp Duty for 1st time buyers and Interest rates are currently on the lower end of the scale.
    Compare that with the massive price inflation in 2007 for poorly built homes, massive stamp duty, massive interest rates and I would suggest that the people buying these days are probably getting a better deal?
    It’s not a fact but I have come to that conclusion myself..
    That includes all new builds bought last year and early this year...
    Since then they have inflated again considerably.
    I’d hate to be buying today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement