Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown Kilcock New Development

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

Well lucky that you aren’t buying there then isn’t it!
    I bet you don’t even own a house!

You would lose that bet. Bought recently. Millerstown was an option but was rejected as Kilcock is not a great town, didn't like the design of the houses, because of the flooding risk and because of the poor public transport links (very limited train and bus services compared to Maynooth). Bought in a better location with no flood worries and a house that suits my requirements better.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

f@steddie wrote: »
    You would lose that bet. Bought recently. Millerstown was an option but was rejected as Kilcock is not a great town, didn't like the design of the houses, because of the flooding risk and because of the poor public transport links (very limited train and bus services compared to Maynooth). Bought in a better location with no flood worries and a house that suits my requirements better.

Well that’s good for you mate. And you paid more for it too I’m sure.. Some people can’t afford to buy in Maynooth and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Well that’s good for you mate. And you paid more for it too I’m sure.. Some people can’t afford to buy in Maynooth and the likes.

And some cant afford to take a risk on a 30 year mortgage on a house with even the most remote and slight risk of flooding.

Its the largest investment most will ever make in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

I used two specific examples myself... I said Westfield and Castlewellen were €450k for 4 bed semi-d’s and I was right.
    The links you sent didn’t specify the type of houses ... it just says “greater than 1200sq/ft” or something vague like that.
    I tried to answer as many questions as I could but can’t answer everything... I’m not a bloody guru.. but 99% of the things I did say were from a place of knowledge of the whole situation.
    Anyways, tried my best!

People buying are actually paying €375k in reality with the HTB deposit with interest rates and Stamp Duty both about as low as they have ever been.
    That’s not an exact quote about stamp
    Duty it a generalistaion, I’ve not checked the figures so don’t go holding me to them... but in a general sense Stamp Duty for 1st time buyers  and Interest rates are currently on the lower end of the scale.
    I'm bowing out you are coming across as consistently disingenuous to me. Your original quote said that 395k was expensive you tried to justify that particular price using the HTB and the fact that it is A rated. Those two things are true of all new builds (up fo 500k for HTB) which means it bears no relevance on 395k being expensive or not when compared to other new homes. That was the comparisons being made to other new homes. And now you're at it again generally talking about interest rates/HTB/Stamp Duty essentially just muddying the waters in an attempt to create positive spin, in my opinion. 
    Again, I have no interest in saying whether 395k is over or under valued for the houses or expensive by the way, I have been commenting on your comparisons which have been quite biased and am quoting you saying 395k is expensive.

And some cant afford to take a risk on a 30 year mortgage on a house with even the most remote and slight risk of flooding.

Agreed. But that’s the point.
    If they are built as per the FRAMS they should never flood hence why buyers pushed on.
    Some are more risk averse than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

I used two specific examples myself... I said Westfield and Castlewellen were €450k for 4 bed semi-d’s and I was right.
    The links you sent didn’t specify the type of houses ... it just says “greater than 1200sq/ft” or something vague like that.
    I tried to answer as many questions as I could but can’t answer everything... I’m not a bloody guru.. but 99% of the things I did say were from a place of knowledge of the whole situation.
    Anyways, tried my best!

People buying are actually paying €375k in reality with the HTB deposit with interest rates and Stamp Duty both about as low as they have ever been.
    That’s not an exact quote about stamp
    Duty it a generalistaion, I’ve not checked the figures so don’t go holding me to them... but in a general sense Stamp Duty for 1st time buyers  and Interest rates are currently on the lower end of the scale.
    Compare that with the massive price inflation in 2007 for poorly built homes, massive stamp duty, massive interest rates and I would suggest that the people buying these days are probably getting a better deal?
    It’s not a fact but I have come to that conclusion myself..
    That includes all new builds bought last year and early this year...
    Since then they have inflated again considerably.
    I’d hate to be buying today
    Posted before your edit, on the second point about buying new builds there have been a couple of sweet spots over the last couple of years. The best one was right after the HTB was announced before prices were increased to take account of the extra deposit people had :( 
    But agree that it is getting harder to buy with increases over the last couple of months.

itzme wrote: »
    I'm bowing out you are coming across as consistently disingenuous to me. Your original quote said that 395k was expensive you tried to justify that particular price using the HTB and the fact that it is A rated. Those two things are true of all new builds (up fo 500k for HTB) which means it bears no relevance on 395k being expensive or not when compared to other new homes. That was the comparisons being made to other new homes. And now you're at it again generally talking about interest rates/HTB/Stamp Duty essentially just muddying the waters in an attempt to create positive spin, in my opinion. 
    Again, I have no interest in saying whether 395k is over or under valued for the houses or expensive by the way, I have been commenting on your comparisons which have been quite biased and am quoting you saying 395k is expensive.

I bloody agree with you that they are expensive!
    I’m just trying to compare today’s market with markets of old.
    My point is all new builds sold in 2017/2018 are expensive. It’s not just at Millerstown.
    When Boycetown originally were up for sale they were in the €300k range from memory (again don’t quote me on exact timings and figures) back at the end of 2016 before HTB came in...
    So that is the true value of houses in Kilcock.
    Hawthorn gate in Celbridge originally went up for €365k in Celbridge for a 4 bed before the market went crazy again.
    Now across the road they are going for €450k.
    I don’t disagree I’m just trying to make comparisons.

itzme wrote: »
    Posted before your edit, on the second point about buying new builds there have been a couple of sweet spots over the last couple of years. The best one was right after the HTB was announced before prices were increased to take account of the extra deposit people had :( 
    But agree that it is getting harder to buy with increases over the last couple of months.

100% correct... just after HTB was announced was the sweet spot.. because you could retrospectively claim
    It for a new build before it was announced as a scheme.. those people got the best deal of the century, the jammy f^%#* :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK folks lets lay off the personal attacks/name calling please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I would say most people who would struggle to buy in Maynooth would slso struggle to pay the guts of 400k for a house. Plenty of decent stock in Maynooth between 300k-350k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AcPee

anywhere you live there is always a risk. it may not be flooding. it might be something else. there is nothing sure in this world. and i bet people who bought a house there have already calculated the risk and are willing to accept it.

I would say most people who would struggle to buy in Maynooth would slso struggle to pay the guts of 400k for a house. Plenty of decent stock in Maynooth between 300k-350k.

Have you ever bought a house?
    A bank will only lend a certain amount of money.
    Let’s say a couple earning a combined total of €100k per annum.
    Max banks will loan is circa €350k.
    Let’s say said couple have €25k of their own savings which took years to get and €20k help to buy brings them up to €395k.

In the new build market with A-rated houses etc they can go to €395k for a 4-bed in Kilcock or a 3-bed in Maynooth / Celbridge (with some decent change left over). But they have 4 kids and a smaller 3 bed just won’t suit their family.
    A second hand house means they are in the market for €20k less because they can’t use HTB.

So their two choices are buy the big new 4 bed in Kilcock which suits their particular preferences or get a new 3 bed in other, better areas, or slug it out week in week out bidding for houses and losing out on the ones they love.
    Everyone has their own preferences.
    Some want loads of space and big square footage, some need transport links, some need to be in their hometown, or to be near their job.

There are a MILLION factors that are dependent on many things personal to each person.
    The people that bought here obviously weighted up their options and chose there.
    Maybe they could have afforded a house in Maynooth but it was smaller, older, miles away from the actual town, and needed lots of work to bring it up to the standard they wanted. Maybe it’s a student estate where house parties are a regular occutance.
    So they decided Millerstown was the one for them, yes it mightn’t be perfect but what house is???
    There are always concessions you have to make which makes me think you haven’t bought a house before...
    Or you just can’t put yourself in someone else’s shoes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thread closed temporarily to allow people a chance to cool their jets and perhaps read the charter again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement