Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown Kilcock New Development

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Graham wrote: »
    It was a release by the developers posted by another poster in the other Millerstown thread. The release appeared to be in response to the collective "I told you so's" when the area that was meant to flood actually flooded.

So far I've seen no coherent rebuttal that would cause me to disbelieve the statement, in fact the responses can probably be summed up to be "but that spot always flooded before the flood prevention works were completed" or "won't somebody think of the children".

So far i've seen nothing from anyone expect the planning tbh.

FYI that release isn't on their website. Or at least searching for any part of it that you quoted isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The fact that its a statement by the developers, who have the most reason to try convince people to buy there; and its not the original engineers should be enough to throw vast doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KildareInfo

We pulled out as unable to get insurance...I know a family who signed contacts prior to the flood and are now suing the builder as they are refusing to return their deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not surprising - insurers will look at actual risk not glib claims of a park being an attenuation pond! Also, it was full at far less than a 100 year event

Suspect anyone who got insurance this year will have trouble renewing.

L1011 wrote: »
    Not surprising - insurers will look at actual risk not glib claims of a park being an attenuation pond! Also, it was full at far less than a 100 year event

Suspect anyone who got insurance this year will have trouble renewing.

you could say that field doesn't flood once every 10 years... maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Fire1985 wrote: »
    as far as crime i guess kilcock has the same as any town really... .
    Yes shops are robbed at knifepoint in every town in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes shops are robbed at knifepoint in every town in Ireland...

Pretty much, yes. What's your point though?

DBFL Consulting Engineers for McGarrell Reilly have confirmed that the flood protection measures operated as anticipated and allowed flooding to occur in the designated flood protection channel etc. All works on site have been implemented in advance of occupation of the houses and the engineers are certifying the works as complete to the requirements to the planning permissions received. The flood protection works have been validated by RPS group, the authors of the Kilcock FRAMS signed off by OPW, Kildare County Council and Meath County Council, as being consistent with their flood modelling Yesterdays extreme weather event has occurred as anticipated and demonstrates that the flood measures are in place and operating as expected.l

Where is this from?

highdef wrote: »
    Pretty much, yes. What's your point though?
    Kilcock has become very dangerous recently and this can only be worsened when the sink estate opens.

Kilcock has become very dangerous recently and this can only be worsened when the sink estate opens.

True story. All that water will help germinate more danger. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

What evidence is there of Kilcock becoming more dangerous?

f@steddie wrote: »
    What evidence is there of Kilcock becoming more dangerous?

I know it's going off topic but I see no evidence. I had a look at crime stats for 2014, 2015 and 2016 on the OSI site and according to it, Kilcock is as safe if not safer than
    Maynooth, Clane, Prosperous, Allenwood, Kilmeague and many other parts of Kildare.

In 2014, crime levels in the likes of the following areas of Meath were slightly worse than the Kilcock area:
    Kilclone, Dunboyne, Batterstown, Dunshaughlin, Dunsany, Tara and Skyrne. However from 2016, crime levels in the above areas have dropped significantly and are now lower than the Kilcock area.

Summerhill has consistently had lower crime levels than Kilcock.

So maybe if we import a few people from the "Royal County", we'll have less crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

L1011 wrote: »
    That is not a "flood channel" except in your mind Graham. Read the planning documents and you'll see the actual flood alleviation works, which it isn't part of.

It is a park as per planning.

Would it be fair to say the responsible consulting engineers have a little more information at their disposal?
    DBFL Consulting Engineers for McGarrell Reilly have confirmed that the flood protection measures operated as anticipated and allowed flooding to occur in the designated flood protection channel etc. All works on site have been implemented in advance of occupation of the houses and the engineers are certifying the works as complete to the requirements to the planning permissions received. The flood protection works have been validated by RPS group, the authors of the Kilcock FRAMS signed off by OPW, Kildare County Council and Meath County Council, as being consistent with their flood modelling Yesterdays extreme weather event has occurred as anticipated and demonstrates that the flood measures are in place and operating as expected.l
    Hey Graham, have you looked at the planning permission for the estate? 
    The planning permission for the site states the front park is a Class 1 public open space. This makes it extremely clear what the intent for the park was. I could not find any reference to flood protection channels for the front park in the planning permission. Flood protection is not some after thought or ad hoc work, it requires planning and submission to the council. How can home owners or insurance companies estimate risk or evaluate impact of floods if the builders can just make statements like "Oh yeah that part was always meant to flood"?  
    I really hope this gets sorted as for those in final stages of buying it is not a trivial thing to pull out and could end up costing them 10s of thousands.

Thanks highdef -- perhaps I have become irrational about the matter; Kilcock does seem to me to be changing from a no crime area to a some crime are. Really appreciate your looking it up.

I am in general strongly in favour of council housing but Meath CoCo have been such 'bad neighbours' wrt this whole development that I do find it hars to trust their bona fides.

I wouldn't mind if the Meath people who get the council houses are from Newtown and Summerhill. Though I do feel that Meath CoCo are being fairly bad neighbours (not because of he council estate necessarily but because if there is a significant impact from the flooding the effect will overwhelmingly have to be paid for by Kildare CoCo.
    I know it's going off topic but I see no evidence. I had a look at crime stats for 2014, 2015 and 2016 on the OSI site and according to it, Kilcock is as safe if not safer than
    Maynooth, Clane, Prosperous, Allenwood, Kilmeague and many other parts of Kildare.

In 2014, crime levels in the likes of the following areas of Meath were slightly worse than the Kilcock area:
    Kilclone, Dunboyne, Batterstown, Dunshaughlin, Dunsany, Tara and Skyrne. However from 2016, crime levels in the above areas have dropped significantly and are now lower than the Kilcock area.

Summerhill has consistently had lower crime levels than Kilcock.

So maybe if we import a few people from the "Royal County", we'll have less crime.

I wouldn't mind if the Meath people who get the council houses are from Newtown and Summerhill.

Just wondering which Newtown you are referring to as there several Newtowns around the area. There's a Newtown at the west end of Maynooth and a Newtown not too far from Enfield. Both are in Kildare though.

There's a Newtownmoyaghy behind Millerstown, in Meath of course. These are the closest ones that spring to mind.

Just wondering which Newtown you are referring to as there several Newtowns around the area. There's a Newtown at the west end of Maynooth and a Newtown not too far from Enfield. Both are in Kildare though.

There's a Newtownmoyaghy behind Millerstown, in Meath of course. These are the closest ones that spring to mind.

Yes Newtownmoyaghy the confusion arises from the fact that the church is simply 'Newtown'.

Yes Newtownmoyaghy the confusion arises from the fact that the church is simply 'Newtown'.

I didn't know there was a church in Newtownmoyaghy, my apologies. Where exactly is it?

The only church I know out that way is Moyglare Church, but obviously that's in Moyglare. And then there's the Little Chapel Of The Assumption which is on the Meath side of the Meath Bridge.

And in Kilcock, the main church is Saint Coca's Church from the parish of Kilcock and Newtown however the Newtown being referred to is the village to the west of Kilcock, which also has its own church.....nothing at all to do with Newtownmoyaghy.

Anyway, I have seriously digressed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

I'm not surprised that people have been denied home insurance. It's actually reassuring to someone who doesn't want to see house insurance premiums go up. It's a pity that the members of Meath County Council who granted planning permission cannot be held personally responsible for this debacle. For the past several weeks the riverside park/flood abatement works (which is it?) have been water-logged and pools of standing water are visible. The 'rare event' of 36.3ml of water can be expected to occur every other year based on the rainfall data, with rain fall in excess of 50ml occurring every five years. Who pays the bill for this irresponsible development? The Irish taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Needwifi

We pulled out as unable to get insurance...I know a family who signed contacts prior to the flood and are now suing the builder as they are refusing to return their deposit.

We have a deposit down....yet to sign contracts but have been given a quote for insurance. Who refused your insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Needwifi

We have a deposit down....yet to sign contracts but have been given a quote for insurance. Who refused your insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Hi Folks,

I have lived in this area all of my life. Just to say the following.....

I remember traveling that road everyday in the late 90's early 00's and after. Any heavy rain always resulted in a lot of surface water. The fielld where the houses are being built and the public always flooded regularly.

I honestly cannot believe that they got away with building houses there.The celtic tiger is roaring again. And the price they are charging for Kilcock along with the associated risk to buyers is pure rip off.

Best of luck to anyone who is considering buying there but my advice would be to pull out now if you can. It's all well and good having insurance but it's very hard to recover from a flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I think if anyone is on the fence about going through with a purchase they should get out there today for a look. We are supposed to be in the 20ml range last 24hrs i think.

If you are not comfortable with how it looks today and couldn't get out the last time because of work, today should help you either way. Park at Lidl and Have a good walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

It was pretty waterlogged again there today when I drove past. I don’t think I’d fancy having young children in that estate. I can only imagine the condition of the grass the majority of the year.... not sure it will be a viable play area at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

B1737D21-31C4-4D4E-B855-D4BA110A7C2C.jpeg

This was at 11am. Doesn’t show the true scale of it. When driving from KIlcock in Maynooth direction you can get a proper view. Also the land just after where they have been building (that is kind of dug out) looks like a lake....

B1737D21-31C4-4D4E-B855-D4BA110A7C2C.jpeg

This was at 11am. Doesn’t show the true scale of it. When driving from KIlcock in Maynooth direction you can get a proper view. Also the land just after where they have been building (that is kind of dug out) looks like a lake....

Ffs. And to be fair i wouldnt call what we have had torrential either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Dev84 wrote: »
    Ffs. And to be fair i wouldnt call what we have had torrential either.

Constant over last few days but no way torrential

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Constant over last few days but no way torrential

Yeh thats my point. With weather changing and climate change we really dont no what to expect.

Strange feature in a housing estate. A flood attenuation channel that doubles up as public park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Millerstown floods again . Dear o dear. Don’t buy these houses it’s too risky .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 t305nqe

Is there any update as to what is happening at Millerstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Was up there today looking at the houses. Very nice houses but the river at the front didn't sit right with me.
    They are digging a wider flood plain on the left side of the bridge if you are looking out from the houses.

The ground in front of the houses was like a swamp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement