Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown Kilcock New Development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It’s the same in Celbridge, Maynooth, Leixlip et al.
    Westfield 4 bed semis going for €450k.
    Castlewellen 4 beds going for the same, with post stamp gardens.
    It is shocking really, tiger is purring again.
    But what can people do?
    They need to buy in the current market and these are the prices, it’s not their fault!

But from an infrastructural base Maynooth Celbridge and Leixlip are in a different world than Kilcock. I cant see how those prices are justified in Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

But from an infrastructural base Maynooth Celbridge and Leixlip are in a different world than Kilcock. I cant see how those prices are justified in Kilcock.

Well I would disagree when it comes to Maynooth and Celbridge.

Both bottlenecks with limited infrastructural planning that is now being addressed.
    All works in progress in that sense.

All these towns are old country towns that were borne of necessity with little consideration for future growth.
    Maynooth and Celbridge seem to get more funding however.
    Kilcock requires more backing from local TD’s and more pressure from locals to improve things.

Getting through Maynooth village at peak hours is just as difficult (if not more difficult) than Kilcock.
    People at Millerstown can also utilize the schools in the Moyglare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

That is literally a CoCo have earmarked lands for future development and some of it flooded.
    Nobody has even tendered the works.
    Try again Liam.
    Or better yet just accept that you really are not that educated in this field and you are clutching at straws?
    ..... Liam furiously googles more irrelevant stories.... :)

Your agressive stance leads me to believe you have a vested interest in this joke development

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It’s the same in Celbridge, Maynooth, Leixlip et al.
    Westfield 4 bed semis going for €450k.
    Castlewellen 4 beds going for the same, with post stamp gardens.
    It is shocking really, tiger is purring again.
    But what can people do?
    They need to buy in the current market and these are the prices, it’s not their fault!

Maynooth, Leixlip and Celbridge all have decent commuter links to the city while Kilcock doesn't.
    Castlewellen and Westfield lands have NEVER flooded either. Those two facts alone to me value the houses higher than Millerstown.

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    Your agressive stance leads me to believe you have a vested interest in this joke development

No I just enjoy debating with people who have tunnel vision and refuse to listen to reason.
    I have actually studied the planning documents and it seems from the responses in here (with the exception of a few) I am alone in that.
    As I said my family bought here and I was of the same view as you all until I studied it in more detail.
    I have 18 years experience in Construction and I have both BSc and MSc degrees in Civil Construction.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Maynooth, Leixlip and Celbridge all have decent commuter links to the city while Kilcock doesn't.
    Castlewellen and Westfield lands have NEVER flooded either. Those two facts alone to me value the houses higher than Millerstown.

That’s ok for you to have that opinion.
    Westfield is in the middle of nowhere about a 20 min walk to Leixlip or Celbridge Main Street.
    It is fed by a bus but is miles away from a train.

Kilcock has both Train and Bus services to Dublin? And Millerstown is a 2 min walk to the village and the train and a 3 min drive to Maynooth.

It’s not the best but it certainly isn’t the worst.
    And many new estates are built in flood zone C but you just don’t hear about them because it is pretty common in Ireland, land of rain ☔️

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Westfield is in the middle of nowhere about a 20 min walk to Leixlip or Celbridge Main Street.

Kilcock has both Train and Bus services to Dublin? And Millerstown is a 2 min walk to the village and the train and a 3 min drive to Maynooth.

And many new estates are built in flood zone C but you just don’t hear about them because it is pretty common in Ireland, land of rain ☔️
    With the greatest of respect you are coming across with serious bias. You have noted and highlighted the flood documentation and alleviated some concerns that were unfounded. I haven't looked up the recent applications but the last time I looked at the docs, and posted here, there was nothing in the original planning around the front park being used for any type of flood protection. Is the information you posted from new submissions or submissions after the flooding last Nov?
    Your comparisons between Kilcock and Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth are coming across very poorly. You are subjectively selecting things to try and force your view. The services to each of those three towns dwarf what is available in Kilcock. There is a massive petition online at the minute from Kilcock residents to reinstate Dublin Bus due to the lack of good quality public transport and you're here trying to say they are relatively comparable! Just look up irishrail.ie and compare the train services. That's ignoring the hotels/gyms/bars/restaurants/....  Again I'm not knocking Kilcock just saying that the average house price difference isn't completely fabricated as you seem to be implying without actually saying.

Kilcock has 3-4 trains to Dublin during commute times IIRC.. bus wise, it has some CIE buses.. but not all? Maybe one an hour?

You are fudging your numbers to suit Millerstown. You say it is a 2minute walk to the train, Google says it is a 12minute walk from the entrance of the estate to the train. It is also not a 3 minute drive to Maynooth.

I am not saying it is the worst but you said they command the same price as Leixlip, Maynooth or Celbridge... in my opinion, they don't. House prices in general in Kilcock reflect that, it is cheaper than the other 3 towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No I just enjoy debating with people who have tunnel vision and refuse to listen to reason.
    I have actually studied the planning documents and it seems from the responses in here (with the exception of a few) I am alone in that.
    As I said my family bought here and I was of the same view as you all until I studied it in more detail.
    I have 18 years experience in Construction and I have both BSc and MSc degrees in Civil Construction.

Well given that your family sought advice from you to buy there it now stands to reason that your advice was rubbish. Considering as you now say there are 50 family's in limbo due to planning problems

So based on your own words in the thread id never take purchase advice from you on buying a home in a development inside a flood zone. In fact well inside the 500mm limit of proximity to a river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Hi there,

Here is The Sunday Business Post piece, since one or two people have asked..

Developer fights order for flood works at Meath housing estate
    By Róisín Burke Aug 5, 2018

Developer McGarrell Reilly is seeking to prevent Meath County Council from obliging it to carry out further flood prevention works on lands near its Millerstown housing development in Kilcock.

The 150 home development beside the Rye river on the Meath/Kildare border is bound by a flood plain and planning conditions required detailed flood prevention works to be completed before construction started.

McGarrell Reilly, which is owned by Maple 10 developer Sean Reilly and his family, has initiated High Court proceedings against Meath County Council.

It is seeking a judicial review to overturn a decision by the council that it should carry out further flood management works on lands adjacent to Millerstown that it does not own, which the council interprets as being part of the planning permission requirement.

McGarrell Reilly disputes this and argues that these works “do not offer any additional protection to the Millerstown development”.

The developer said when contacted that it had initiated the court proceedings against the council following “protracted discussions with the council which have failed to reach a resolution”.

“During this process of discussion with the council, we provided caretaker agreements for purchasers to allow them to take possession of their properties until the issue is resolved,” McGarrell Reilly said.

Millerstown, a development of large homes on the outskirts of Kilcock town, was the subject of a hail of social media discourse following torrential rains in November that resulted in the the surrounding area, but not the houses themselves, becoming heavily flooded.

McGarrell Reilly said at the time that this demonstrated that the flood measures in place were operating as expected.

Floodworks on its lands have been certified as complete and it has received confirmations that the Millerstown homes are protected from flood risk, the company said. Meath County Council said it would not comment on court proceedings.

The developer also said at the time that the development had been constructed in compliance with OPW flood guidelines and in accordance with planning permission from An Bord Pleanála for flood management works.

Kildare councillor Pádraig McEvoy said there were risks involved in building near flood plains.

“When you take marginal lands, and you build on them, you are pushing development into areas that increasingly rely on credible flood risk analysis, so there’s a degree of frontierism,” he said.

Hmmm but at least in those towns there is a main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

djbulldog1983 furiously googling the distance between the train station and millerstown flood plain.

Cadiz wrote: »
    Hi there,

Here is The Sunday Business Post piece, since one or two people have asked..

Developer fights order for flood works at Meath housing estate
    By Róisín Burke Aug 5, 2018

Developer McGarrell Reilly is seeking to prevent Meath County Council from obliging it to carry out further flood prevention works on lands near its Millerstown housing development in Kilcock.

The 150 home development beside the Rye river on the Meath/Kildare border is bound by a flood plain and planning conditions required detailed flood prevention works to be completed before construction started.

McGarrell Reilly, which is owned by Maple 10 developer Sean Reilly and his family, has initiated High Court proceedings against Meath County Council.

It is seeking a judicial review to overturn a decision by the council that it should carry out further flood management works on lands adjacent to Millerstown that it does not own, which the council interprets as being part of the planning permission requirement.

McGarrell Reilly disputes this and argues that these works “do not offer any additional protection to the Millerstown development”.

The developer said when contacted that it had initiated the court proceedings against the council following “protracted discussions with the council which have failed to reach a resolution”.

“During this process of discussion with the council, we provided caretaker agreements for purchasers to allow them to take possession of their properties until the issue is resolved,” McGarrell Reilly said.

Millerstown, a development of large homes on the outskirts of Kilcock town, was the subject of a hail of social media discourse following torrential rains in November that resulted in the the surrounding area, but not the houses themselves, becoming heavily flooded.

McGarrell Reilly said at the time that this demonstrated that the flood measures in place were operating as expected.

Floodworks on its lands have been certified as complete and it has received confirmations that the Millerstown homes are protected from flood risk, the company said. Meath County Council said it would not comment on court proceedings.

The developer also said at the time that the development had been constructed in compliance with OPW flood guidelines and in accordance with planning permission from An Bord Pleanála for flood management works.

Kildare councillor Pádraig McEvoy said there were risks involved in building near flood plains.

“When you take marginal lands, and you build on them, you are pushing development into areas that increasingly rely on credible flood risk analysis, so there’s a degree of frontierism,” he said.

Has anyone asked this lot why they built on a flood plane in the first place?

Just pure greed from a big developer again.

Has anyone asked this lot why they built on a flood plane in the first place?

Just pure greed from a big developer again.

Bound by a flood plain!
    Not on a flood plain!
    Jesus 😂

liam7831 wrote: »
    djbulldog1983 furiously googling the distance between the train station and millerstown flood plain.

Ha, no I’m good thanks.
    I’m happy with where my house is and that’s all that matters.

itzme wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect you are coming across with serious bias. You have noted and highlighted the flood documentation and alleviated some concerns that were unfounded. I haven't looked up the recent applications but the last time I looked at the docs, and posted here, there was nothing in the original planning around the front park being used for any type of flood protection. Is the information you posted from new submissions or submissions after the flooding last Nov?
    Your comparisons between Kilcock and Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth are coming across very poorly. You are subjectively selecting things to try and force your view. The services to each of those three towns dwarf what is available in Kilcock. There is a massive petition online at the minute from Kilcock residents to reinstate Dublin Bus due to the lack of good quality public transport and you're here trying to say they are relatively comparable! Just look up irishrail.ie and compare the train services. That's ignoring the hotels/gyms/bars/restaurants/....  Again I'm not knocking Kilcock just saying that the average house price difference isn't completely fabricated as you seem to be implying without actually saying.

Can’t disagree with a lot of that.
    But the 4 bed semis went for €395 in Kilcock and €450 + in Celbridge / Leixlip which is a fair bit more.
    So the argument that people are paying comparable in Kilcock and Celbridge is not true.

Kilcock has 3-4 trains to Dublin during commute times IIRC.. bus wise, it has some CIE buses.. but not all? Maybe one an hour?

You are fudging your numbers to suit Millerstown. You say it is a 2minute walk to the train, Google says it is a 12minute walk from the entrance of the estate to the train. It is also not a 3 minute drive to Maynooth.

I am not saying it is the worst but you said they command the same price as Leixlip, Maynooth or Celbridge... in my opinion, they don't. House prices in general in Kilcock reflect that, it is cheaper than the other 3 towns.

Splitting hairs here. I wasn’t giving exact timings!
    And the houses in Kilcock are €50k+ cheaper than Celbridge/Maynooth so they aren’t comparable!

listermint wrote: »
    Well given that your family sought advice from you to buy there it now stands to reason that your advice was rubbish. Considering as you now say there are 50 family's in limbo due to planning problems

So based on your own words in the thread id never take purchase advice from you on buying a home in a development inside a flood zone. In fact well inside the 500mm limit of proximity to a river.

Finished Floor Levels are 600mm above the 1/1000 year AEP so that’s that argument debunked.
    I won’t lose any sleep from you not procuring my services, I earn plenty!
    I was asked for an opinion and I gave it.
    The argument is not that they didn’t do the flood works on the site it is the flood works outside their site.
    Am I in a fishbowl here?

Hmmm but at least in those towns there is a main street.

Kilcock isn’t a sprawling metropolis, that we can agree on :)

• Advertisement

And the houses in Kilcock are €50k+ cheaper than Celbridge/Maynooth so they aren’t comparable!

No they are not. One simple reason for this is that the houses in Maynooth and Celbridge weren't built on a flood plain. A flood plain that visibly flooded almost every year. I for one wouldn't be overly comfortable being told by a developer that flood works are sufficient.

Anyways all, I’m out.
    Been a pleasure.
    Make sure to watch the video link I sent.
    The very basis of catchment area flood principles.

Widen the valley and allow water to spread in a safe zone.
    This doesn’t need planning, this is common sense.
    Next thing you’ll be telling me that the builder and the council didn’t realize that the water would break its banks... oh wait... ☺️
    Peace out

Finished Floor Levels are 600mm above the 1/1000 year AEP so that’s that argument debunked.
    I won’t lose any sleep from you not procuring my services, I earn plenty!
    I was asked for an opinion and I gave it.
    The argument is not that they didn’t do the flood works on the site it is the flood works outside their site.
    Am I in a fishbowl here?

Doesn't matter where your floor levels are if you can't get access to your house.

Your advice to your family to commit to purchase was awful.

They are now stuck being underwritten by a developer with neighbours facing lapsed mortgages and the whole development in a legal battle with the council.

Sound advice all round I say.....

Doesn't matter where your floor levels are if you can't get access to your house.

Your advice to your family to commit to purchase was awful.

They are now stuck being underwritten by a developer with neighbours facing lapsed mortgages and the whole development in a legal battle with the council.

Sound advice all round I say.....

Awwwww thanks mate.
    Kisses x

Splitting hairs? You say one estate is 2mins from the train while another is 20 minutes from anything. Google maps (a source of data and not random numbers) suggests that 2 minutes is actually 12 minutes while the '20 minutes from anything' is an 18 minute walk to the train.

The difference being that the one which is an 18 minute walk actually has trains stopping there.

Awwwww thanks mate.
    Kisses x

Solid reply.

Il leave that there .

Thanks 'friend' 'no family friend' 'no family relation' 'no owner'

I can barely keep up.

Whatever it is you've a vested defensive interest which has clouded reality.

Bound by a flood plain!
    Not on a flood plain!
    Jesus 😂

Bound? So if the flood plain does what a flood plain does they wont be able to get in or out of their homes? I can tell you now where the first row of houses are that field used to flood.

Solid reply.

Il leave that there .

Thanks 'friend' 'no family friend' 'no family relation' 'no owner'

I can barely keep up.

Whatever it is you've a vested defensive interest which has clouded reality.

Yawwwwnn....
    There is plenty of good information there for you to look back on and mull over and wish you were as informed as me :)

You have shown a clear bias towards your own personal opinion.

The reports and calculations of RPS, OPW, Meath CoCo, OCSC, DBFL, Kildare CoCo have all been included in the CFRAMS report which form part of the planning application.

The argument is over the flood works on other lands not owned by the developer.
    The works on Millerstown are complete and are signed off however until the rest of the works upstream are complete the CoCo can’t sign off the estate.
    It is NOTHING to do with the flood works in Millerstown, they have been approved by Meath CoCo.
    But you don’t know that because well it doesn’t fit in with your ill informed opinions on this thread.
    I on the other hand have looked at it from both points of view and came to a decision that is correct.
    Call Meath CoCo and ask them
    Yourself.. they will tell you that Millerstown is built as per planning, but the other landholdings need to be finished before they can sign off.

Good night and God bless folks.

Keep it salty ;)

Bound? So if the flood plain does what a flood plain does they wont be able to get in or out of their homes? I can tell you now where the first row of houses are that field used to flood.

It would take a flood of epic proportions to reach the road in the estate. And the main roads are built up even higher to ensure that they are never flooded.
    Again, read the planning documents!!!!!!

• Advertisement

It would take a flood of epic proportions to reach the road in the estate. And the main roads are built up even higher to ensure that they are never flooded.
    Again, read the planning documents!!!!!!

I have and they are not clear enough to be honest. Of all that was guaranteed there would be sign off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement