Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown Kilcock New Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

itzme wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect you are coming across with serious bias. You have noted and highlighted the flood documentation and alleviated some concerns that were unfounded. I haven't looked up the recent applications but the last time I looked at the docs, and posted here, there was nothing in the original planning around the front park being used for any type of flood protection. Is the information you posted from new submissions or submissions after the flooding last Nov?
    Your comparisons between Kilcock and Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth are coming across very poorly. You are subjectively selecting things to try and force your view. The services to each of those three towns dwarf what is available in Kilcock. There is a massive petition online at the minute from Kilcock residents to reinstate Dublin Bus due to the lack of good quality public transport and you're here trying to say they are relatively comparable! Just look up irishrail.ie and compare the train services. That's ignoring the hotels/gyms/bars/restaurants/....  Again I'm not knocking Kilcock just saying that the average house price difference isn't completely fabricated as you seem to be implying without actually saying.

Can’t disagree with a lot of that.
    But the 4 bed semis went for €395 in Kilcock and €450 + in Celbridge / Leixlip which is a fair bit more.
    So the argument that people are paying comparable in Kilcock and Celbridge is not true.
    I'll repeat the question on the flood information you sent on, when was this submitted? Again the front park in the original and pre-Nov 2017 submitted plans had no mention of it being an attenuation pond or of it being used in any way for flooding. So is this information you shared new information that has come since then?

It's coming across to me that you are trying to muddy the waters on a lot of points and on timelines in this thread. In the house prices you take some of the more expensive houses in Celbridge/Leixlip today (after many months of increases) comparing to houses a year ago. You later in this thread then just lump Maynooth in the 450k bracket with no evidence. Here are the actual numbers which don't back up your point
    2017-today: New builds Kilcock
    2017-today: New builds Maynooth
    2017-today: New builds Celbridge
    2017-today: New builds Leixlip
    You have put in some great information and explanations in here about flood preventions in general in this thread so cheers for that, they are very interesting but you are coming across to me as a one sided PR machine for Millerstown. Any valid criticism of the development that is not focused on the CoCo you deflect, ignore or try to undermine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'll repeat the question on the flood information you sent on, when was this submitted? Again the front park in the original and pre-Nov 2017 submitted plans had no mention of it being an attenuation pond or of it being used in any way for flooding. So is this information you shared new information that has come since then?

It's coming across to me that you are trying to muddy the waters on a lot of points and on timelines in this thread. In the house prices you take some of the more expensive houses in Celbridge/Leixlip today (after many months of increases) comparing to houses a year ago. You later in this thread then just lump Maynooth in the 450k bracket with no evidence. Here are the actual numbers which don't back up your point
    You have put in some great information and explanations in here about flood preventions in general in this thread so cheers for that, they are very interesting but you are coming across to me as a one sided PR machine for Millerstown. Any valid criticism of the development that is not focused on the CoCo you deflect, ignore or try to undermine.

Splitting hairs ;) posting with actual figures and facts instead of random numbers that suit your argument :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'll repeat the question on the flood information you sent on, when was this submitted? Again the front park in the original and pre-Nov 2017 submitted plans had no mention of it being an attenuation pond or of it being used in any way for flooding.

Where did you find the rule that attenuation ponds have to be explicitly detailed on a planning application?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

I can assure you I am not doing PR for anyone.
    The CoCo and the Developer are both at fault but I would place 80% of the blame on the developer for their interpretation of condition 3(a) by An Bord Pleanala.
    CoCo should have informed the builder that they wouldn’t be signing off the estate until flood works upstream were complete BEFORE they allowed them to commence works.

It’s a mess!!

As for house prices in Celbridge v Kilcock I can assure you that they are much more expensive in Celbridge.. similar sq/ft 4 bed semis in both Castlewellen and Westfield were €50k more expensive than the 4 bed semis in Millerstown.
    This is a fact.
    And so they should be.
    Both are better locations than Kilcock.

The two in Celbridge went on Sale in May 2018.
    Ryebridge which are not half as nice as Millerstown 4 bed semis went for €375 and are now closer to €400k 8 months later...
    It’s a mad market, I don’t care what you all think, but the absolute witch hunt regarding this particular estate is mental...
    People here slaying them for putting the big houses to the front, this is house building rule 101 since the dawning of time.. best foot forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The CoCo and the Developer are both at fault but I would place 80% of the blame on the developer for their interpretation of condition 3(a) by An Bord Pleanala.
    CoCo should have informed the builder that they wouldn’t be signing off the estate until flood works upstream were complete BEFORE they allowed them to commence works.

It’s a mess!!

As for house prices in Celbridge v Kilcock I can assure you that they are much more expensive in Celbridge.. similar sq/ft 4 bed semis in both Castlewellen and Westfield were €50k more expensive than the 4 bed semis in Millerstown.
    This is a fact.
    And so they should be.

Ryebridge which are not half as nice as Millerstown 4 bed semis went for €375 and are now closer to €400k 8 months later...
    It’s a mad market, I don’t care what you all think, but the absolute witch hunt regarding this particular estate is mental...
    People here slaying them for putting the big houses to the front, this is house building rule 101 since the dawning of time.. best foot forward!

100 per cent agree that the market is carzy. Always has been. But its driven by the developers wanting to make money at any cost. Look I appreciate what your are saying but the location in which the houses have been built is renowned for flooding locally. At some point as a society we need to have an honest conversation about where we should and shouldnt build. The developer knew he didnt have sign off yet let people put deposits down.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Where did you find the rule that attenuation ponds have to be explicitly detailed on a planning application?

It’s just part of good planning where a watercourse is involved. Allow it space to flood safely.
    Plus I definitely saw a drawing somewhere showing the green water allowance, but Inwill have to dig it out another time navies I’m sick of talking about this now.
    I only came on to give an alternative view than some of the nonsense being spouted in here like “ the builders are giving insurance” “the show house flooded” “Kilcock is the murder capital of Ireland” “the builder put all the newbie houses to the front”... “they didn’t know a river, famous for flooding, would burst its banks the odd time.... “

I mean, really.... it’s a circus that needed some level heads to prevail

It’s just part of good planning where a watercourse is involved. Allow it space to flood safely.
    Plus I definitely saw a drawing somewhere showing the green water allowance, but Inwill have to dig it out another time navies I’m sick of talking about this now.

I know what it's for, itzme is suggesting it's not on the planning therefore it mustn't have been planned.

The team at DBFL Consulting Engineers conveniently ignored:

https://www.dbfl.ie/project/rye-water-kilcock-flood-management-works/

Some people obviously want to believe the developers accidentally had teams of people for several months moving vast amounts of earth and laying pipes you could drive a small car through.

I know what it's for, itzme is suggesting it's not on the planning therefore it mustn't have been planned.

Some people obviously want to believe the developers accidentally had teams of people for several months moving vast amounts of earth and laying pipes you could drive a small car through.

Agreed. And all of that points to the fact the location should never have been allowed for residential use.

Jesus this is like a broken f#*%<~! record.

See attached the FRAMs which shows the flood storage area where the bridge into Millerstown is.
    This model was updated even further and incorporated into final design.
    It is a river, of course they knew it would flood!

I'll repeat the question on the flood information you sent on, when was this submitted? Again the front park in the original and pre-Nov 2017 submitted plans had no mention of it being an attenuation pond or of it being used in any way for flooding.

Quite an unusual question, are you saying that if you have a park down as a Class 1 park in your planning application you can (without reference to it in the planning application) also plan to have it as an open attenuation pond without telling the council or people living there? 

If djbulldogg1983  can find references in the planning to support that it was planned as an attenuation pond or flood protection to the level of water seen in Nov, then I'll happily stand corrected. However, when I and others looked we couldn't find any in the planning. You have been asked many times to provide some evidence of your claims around the attenuation pond and have furnished none. Up until today the best you have done so far is a quote from the engineers which I'm not sure you ever gave a verifiable source for. The link you sent today shows some serious work done to the river alright but that was never in question. It was whether what was done was enough and the floods in Nov understandably raised alot of doubt.

• Advertisement

Quite an unusual question, are you saying that if you have a park down as a Class 1 park in your planning application you can (without reference to it in the planning application) also plan to have it as an open attenuation pond without telling the council or people living there? 

If djbulldogg1983  can find references in the planning to support that it was planned as an attenuation pond or flood protection to the level of water seen in Nov, then I'll happily stand corrected. However, when I and others looked we couldn't find any in the planning. You have been asked many times to provide some evidence of your claims around the attenuation pond and have furnished none. Up until today the best you have done so far is a quote from the engineers which I'm not sure you ever gave a verifiable source for. The link you sent today shows some serious work done to the river alright but that was never in question. It was whether what was done was enough and the floods in Nov understandably raised alot of doubt.

Itzme, see attached from the FRAMS which shows the flood storage area was always part of the model and the design.
    This was issued as part of planning and the FRAMS was the document references by An Bord Pleanala in condition 3 (a) flooding: as the guiding document for compliance.
    There’s your proof in turquoise blue hatch markings of all things ;)
    That dark blue squiggle is the Rye River. The turquoise hatched area is the flood storage/ attenuation strip/ I told you so zone for all the naysayers...

Drops the mic 🎀

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=457731&d=1533671672

It’s a mess!!

This is a fact.
    And so they should be.

There has been (and is likely to continue to be) lots of focus on this estate purely due to the photos and videos of the floods in Nov and the previous experience in the recent past in Ireland of developers building on flood plains. People are rightly overly suspicious of developers and their claims after the numerous Irish developers who have caused untold problems.  I wouldn't call it a witch hunt but I do see where you are coming from. As I said I've seen a mix of posts from you from giving great information to overly defensive comments. Do please keep up the posts with general information on flood planning/protection they are great by the way. 
    If what you are saying is true about the CoCo changing their mind about signing off on the estate until the upstream flood prevention is in place, then yes that is absolutely crazy from them.

listermint wrote: »
    Doesn't matter where your floor levels are if you can't get access to your house.

Your advice to your family to commit to purchase was awful.

They are now stuck being underwritten by a developer with neighbours facing lapsed mortgages and the whole development in a legal battle with the council.

Sound advice all round I say.....

Underwritten by developer? I told you already all homeowners have insurance via independent insurance providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AcPee

it is just amazing how some people complain about the lack of houses but when developers build houses they find every freakin fault in it.

are the people here constantly complaining about the development being a flood risk area really has genuine concern for the people buying houses or do they have hidden agenda? makes me wonder. why are u rejecting the development so much? have u ever thought that these negativity are adding to the stress of people who bought a house there and cant move in because of this issue.

further, do u know that in some countries they even reclaim parts the freakin sea/ocean just to build houses/developments? while here in ireland, people complain that a development is built near a river because when it rains it floods that green area so far from the houses.

some people are just like crabs who pull others down. it is just sad.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Splitting hairs ;) posting with actual figures and facts instead of random numbers that suit your argument :D

Here’s some facts for you.
    Flood storage area in blue hatched area.
    Rye River little dark navy squiggle.
    All as planned in the FRAMS.

As for house prices I know I’m right.
    Kilcock are €50k less sq/ft for sq/ft with Celbridge or Maynooth prices

AcPee wrote: »
    it is just amazing how some people complain about the lack of houses but when developers build houses they find every freakin fault in it.

are the people here constantly complaining about the development being a flood risk area really has genuine concern for the people buying houses or do they have hidden agenda? makes me wonder. why are u rejecting the development so much? have u ever thought that these negativity are adding to the stress of people who bought a house there and cant move in because of this issue.

further, do u know that in some countries they even reclaim parts the freakin sea/ocean just to build houses/developments? while here in ireland, people complain that a development is built near a river because when it rains it floods that green area so far from the houses.

some people are just like crabs who pull others down. it is just sad.

Well said AcPee.

Here’s some facts for you.
    Flood storage area in blue hatched area.
    Rye River little dark navy squiggle.
    All as planned in the FRAMS.

As for house prices I know I’m right.
    Kilcock are €50k less sq/ft for sq/ft with Celbridge or Maynooth prices

How long is the walk from Millerstown to the village/train and how long is the drive to Maynooth... these are your facts that I disputed :pac:

The flood prevention measures are fine, assuming they all work as planned. Would I buy a house beside a potential flood risk? No (we viewed a house last year located on a 1/100 chance of flooding site, those odds were too short for me) but that is just me being cautious. Would I like my child playing on a green area that runs into a river? No.. again, cautious.

I cannot understand your interest in the thread on this. You joined a site just to defend a development you have no interest in. I don't think anyone here is actively bad mouthing the development, most people are just posting their personal opinions "I would not buy a house here". The development will sell out either way.

mloc123 wrote: »
    How long is the walk from Millerstown to the village/train and how long is the drive to Maynooth... these are your facts that I disputed :pac:

The flood prevention measures are fine, assuming they all work as planned. Would I buy a house beside a potential flood risk? No (we viewed a house last year located on a 1/100 chance of flooding site, those odds were too short for me) but that is just me being cautious. Would I like my child playing on a green area that runs into a river? No.. again, cautious.

I cannot understand your interest in the thread on this. You joined a site just to defend a development you have no interest in. I don't think anyone here is actively bad mouthing the development, most people are just posting their personal opinions "I would not buy a house here". The development will sell out either way.
    Millerstown to Roundabout at Maynooth college is 3-4min drive.
    I have done it on numerous occasions. Front of Millerstown to the bridge is 5 minutes if you walk like a turtle.
    Jokers in this place :D

Itzme, see attached from the FRAMS which shows the flood storage area was always part of the model and the design.
    This was issued as part of planning and the FRAMS was the document references by An Bord Pleanala in condition 3 (a) flooding: as the guiding document for compliance.
    There’s your proof in turquoise blue hatch markings of all things ;)
    That dark blue squiggle is the Rye River. The turquoise hatched area is the flood storage/ attenuation strip/ I told you so zone for all the naysayers...

Drops the mic 🎀

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=457731&d=1533671672
    Thanks for the info again. 
    What is the difference between flood storage and floodplain? A cursory look at google tells me that storage is underground for example the underground attenuation tanks. Floodplain would have to be on the surface such as any "planned" attenuation ponds. So for the flooding of the front park in Nov to fit the FRAMS, the front park would have be marked as floodplain not storage. 
    It seems to be tricky to overlay that map onto the development, so if I am wrong here apologies but it would seem to me that the front park area of the estate is labelled as flood storage. I've got this from looking at the map on the developers site http://millerstown.ie/houses/ Do you agree? If that is true does that not in fact demonstrate that the front park was not planned as any type of flood attenuation/flood plain? The difference of opinion in this thread was not over whether the front park was meant to have attenuation tanks under the front park but whether the surface of the front park was meant to flood particularly to the level it did in Nov.

Agreed. And all of that points to the fact the location should never have been allowed for residential use.

Because significant works were completed the properties shouldn't have been built :confused:

Based on your opinion a large proportion of Holland should not be occupied, vast numbers of villas and hotels in Dubai should not exists, large parts of Hong Kong/Singapore shouldn't be used, nor should many of the worlds largest ports and airports.

Land reclamation and flood prevention works aren't magic, there's some fairly significant engineering going on. I struggle to see why some people find that so hard to understand.

• Advertisement

Millerstown to Roundabout at Maynooth college is 3-4min drive.
    I have done it on numerous occasions. Front of Millerstown to the bridge is 5 minutes if you walk like a turtle.
    Jokers in this place :D

From the roundabout? You should enter the olympics. Google maps says it is 950m. That is 5:15/km pace which is what your average jogger would be happy to run at.

Only one joker here, you with your bull**** made up numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

mloc123 wrote:
    From the roundabout? You should enter the olympics. Google maps says it is 950m. That is 5:15/km pace which is what your average jogger would be happy to run at.

mloc123 wrote:
    Only one joker here, you with your bull**** made up numbers.

LMAO

Thanks for the info again. 
    What is the difference between flood storage and floodplain? A cursory look at google tells me that storage is underground for example the underground attenuation tanks. Floodplain would have to be on the surface such as any "planned" attenuation ponds. So for the flooding of the front park in Nov to fit the FRAMS, the front park would have be marked as floodplain not storage. 
    It seems to be tricky to overlay that map onto the development, so if I am wrong here apologies but it would seem to me that the front park area of the estate is labelled as flood storage. I've got this from looking at the map on the developers site http://millerstown.ie/houses/ Do you agree? If that is true does that not in fact demonstrate that the front park was not planned as any type of flood attenuation/flood plain? The difference of opinion in this thread was not over whether the front park was meant to have attenuation tanks under the front park but whether the surface of the front park was meant to flood particularly to the level it did in Nov.

Have a look at the planned reprofiling of the river and the reprofiling of the channel. Again this is from the FRAMS report which the planning permission is based on.
    Flood storage in this instance refers to containment of water in heavy rain.
    Not an actual storage tank.
    Drops mic again, getting very quiet in here everybody???? :D

Have a look at the planned reprofiling of the river and the reprofiling of the channel. Again this is from the FRAMS report which the planning permission is based on.
    Flood storage in this instance refers to containment of water in heavy rain.
    Not an actual storage tank.
    Drops mic again, getting very quiet in here everybody???? :D

Containment of water where?

liam7831 wrote: »
    LMAO

Wow.
    The two lads are getting a great laugh at the difference in a few minutes :)
    Nothing to say on the FRAMS extracts that’s i have shared which shows that the builder planned the green area to accommodate water in floods?
    No comment on the fact that Meath CoCo have signed off on the estate just not on the lands upstream?
    No comment on Ryebridge houses also being stupid money (and nowhere near as well built or designed) and being even further away from the village?
    Millerstown is probably the closest estate to the village of Kilcock so either way it’s better than most.
    I don’t care how long it takes to walk, I don’t have to walk it ;)
    But latch onto to your little victory there lads :D
    It takes 10 mins to walk to the village and 5 mins to drive to Maynooth.. wipe dee doo :D you really showed me up there

Containment of water where?

In the reprofiling channel ... aka the front green

Wow.
    The two lads are getting a great laugh at the difference in a few minutes :)
    Nothing to say on the FRAMS extracts that’s i have shared which shows that the builder planned the green area to accommodate water in floods?
    No comment on the fact that Meath CoCo have signed off on the estate just not on the lands upstream?
    No comment on Ryebridge houses also being stupid money (and nowhere near as well built or designed) and being even further away from the village?
    Millerstown is probably the closest estate to the village of Kilcock so either way it’s better than most.
    I don’t care how long it takes to walk, I don’t have to walk it ;)
    But latch onto to your little victory there lads :D
    It takes 10 mins to walk to the village and 5 mins to drive to Maynooth.. wipe dee doo :D you really showed me up there

You have so much of a bias towards Millerstown it's scary.

I agree with you that the market is crazy and this is reflected in Millerstown. Hopefully the residents wont experience any difficulties. I'd hate to see that happening to anyone.

At the end of the day though the field which they built in flooded badly during most periods of heavy rainfall. Thats why i and a lot of other posters wouldnt risk handing over nigh on half a million quid for a house there. If the green area/park / recreatiinal space floods then posters concerns will be vindicated.

Another extract showing that no development of houses in the flood storage area aka the front green.
    To allow water to be accommodated.

I agree with you that the market is crazy and this is reflected in Millerstown. Hopefully the residents wont experience any difficulties. I'd hate to see that happening to anyone.

At the end of the day though the field which they built in flooded badly during most periods of heavy rainfall. Thats why i and a lot of other posters wouldnt risk handing over nigh on half a million quid for a house there. If the green area/park / recreatiinal space floods then posters concerns will be vindicated.

And most people here probably couldn’t afford it.. ahhh well ..
    Look I’m not biased I just read all the documents and have proven all the clueless people in here wrong and have enjoyed every minute of it !

• Advertisement

They raised the levels of the ground where the houses are. They lowered the ground where water can flow in heavy rain in order to keep flood waters contained.
    All planned.
    All as per FRAMS which was collated and reviewed by Meath CoCo, Kildare CoCo, OPW, RPS and many other parties to the steeeing comimitee.
    I’m not biased, I couldn’t give a rats!
    But damn I love being right and knowing what I’m talking about.
    Hit me up if you ever need help reading construction drawings and reports.
    www.Itoldyouso.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement