Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning on dropping out, need advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

You have a problem which many students have but are not affected as badly as you.

We have developed a system which rewards rote memory learning just to pass one type of exam. I see pupils every day who should be somewhere else rather than the soul destroying atmosphere of school. I reckon less than half of the school population are benefiting from the system.

We need to broaden the whole education and work to pupils' strengths rather than their weakness. This is no help to you I'm afraid. Do you have an ability or interest in any particular area and could you concentrate on that. Maybe it is something which could be your source of earnings.

Don't end up in your house with no direction or ambition. Your mental health is important and you must work to getting yourself an sustainable type of existence. But you must be prepared to put work into something be it in school or home learning.

Do you have a mental health worker on your case? Maybe some counselling would help you put things in perspective.

I wish you the best and please don't be disheartened. I have lost a close relative to suicide and anything would be a better solution than that. All this will pass and you will get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I would put your mental health first.
    If you can last to do your junior cert and you finish after that, what plan do you have in mind?

I won't be one of those who says that if you don't stay in school and do the LC your life will be over.
    It won't.

You can do the LC later when you're in the right frame of mind.
    You can apply for a college course as a mature student.
    Education is great and necessary but if you're not feeling up to attending and study then you will definitely not produce the work needed to pass any exam.
    Are you attending anyone for these health issues? Have you spoken to family about what you're considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 arroyo

I would put your mental health first.
    If you can last to do your junior cert and you finish after that, what plan do you have in mind?
    Are you attending anyone for these health issues? Have you spoken to family about what you're considering?

I do have a plan for where I may be able to find work without graduating.

I'm seeing a psychologist, although I'm not willing to bring this up with her as I have other things I'd rather she focused on. If I brought my school issues up with her like this I fear it would bring her other efforts to a halt, which would, in the long run, be much more harmful to my mental health.
    I have spoken briefly to my mother about it and she's determined that I continue in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

arroyo wrote: »
    I do have a plan for where I may be able to find work without graduating.

I'm seeing a psychologist, although I'm not willing to bring this up with her as I have other things I'd rather she focused on. If I brought my school issues up with her like this I fear it would bring her other efforts to a halt, which would, in the long run, be much more harmful to my mental health.
    I have spoken briefly to my mother about it and she's determined that I continue in school.

please bring this up with your psychologist as its a fairly serious matter thats affecting your overall well being, and has the potential to exacerbate your existing issues. your psychologist is there to help you, they are exceptional at helping you see the bigger picture. they tend to give very good, unbiased advice on matters

• Registered Users Posts: 9 arroyo

Bringing it up with my psychologist would likely make what they are doing for me take longer, which I can't afford. I need what she's trying to get me as soon as is legally possible, so until then any and all mentions of what's going on at school are not going to be anything more than a passing, dismissive statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

What about doing some form of home schooling or a form of distance learning that doesn't involve you entering a school building? There are so many options out there.
    Maybe if the school element was taken out of it you'd feel more comfortable and you might not feel as much pressure?
    I've a few students with severe anxiety that do all of their coursework at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There's too much pressure on kids around the leaving cert. Not having one isn't the end of the world
    OP needs support and advice from family, friends and professionals not the internet, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's too much pressure on kids around the leaving cert. Not having one isn't the end of the world
    OP needs support and advice from family, friends and professionals not the internet, in my opinion

Sounds like the OP is getting support from those close to them. They say in their opening post that their BF, mother, SNA and several teachers are encouraging them to do the Leaving cert.

It's not the end of the world but it is a significant handicap to put on yourself if you choose not to do it.

It will likely limit the OP to minimum wage jobs and they could be viewed as being poorly motivated if future employers see that their education results stop at the junior cert. There are mature student education options but these are limited if you do not have the Level 4/5 on the NFQ scale.

I don't think anyone is saying they"have to do the leaving cert" but that they will be disadvantaged if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stargazing123

I know exactly how you feel. Last year (fifth year) I planned on dropping out too. I hated school, still don't like it but you know what you don't have to like it. I'm only there to do my leaving cert and to get a job in the future. I have no friends in school. Everyone is in a group and if you are not you are immediately somewhat invisible. I suffer from anxiety and depression too but I'm doing a lot better than I was this time last year. I would encourage you to stay in school because trust me I know its hard with your mental health issues but if you have no leaving cert you will get nothing and I mean nothing. There are no managers employing people anymore who are on the dole and just walking around you need some form of education. Please think about your decision again.

Advertisement