Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 shipping Us to Ireland

Options
  • 04-11-2017 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I have a friend in America who has bought me an unlocked IPhone 8. They are looking at shipping it from the US to me in Ireland and we are wondering will customs stop it and put a charge on it and if so how much would we be looking at around for this charge. The iPhone in America is 699$ (600€) and here in Ireland it is 830€. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

600€ + lets say €20 shipping is €620 * 0.23 = 162.60 + €15 in handling = Around about €175 of a bill this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You're also forgetting that the phone price excludes state taxes whilst the Irish price does.

I would just buy one in Ireland. The saving is not really that much and you could easily have a VAT bill from customs when phone arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You also get this extra piece of mind if you buy it in Ireland.
    Under Irish consumer law, consumers are entitled to a free of charge repair or replacement, discount or refund by the seller, of defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract of sale. These rights expire six years from delivery of the goods.

https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're also forgetting that the phone price excludes state taxes whilst the Irish price does.

I would just buy one in Ireland. The saving is not really that much and you could easily have a VAT bill from customs when phone arrives

Most states offer a tax back refund scheme for personal exports, so usually this tax is recoverable.

It’s the same principle as the vat back scheme in Ireland for non EU residents.

eg An American here gets an iPhone and the shop stamps an export voucher.
    This is presented to Airport Customs with the iPhone and stamped. The vat is then sent to the exporters home address.

This would also apply to visitors from non EU countries like Switzerland and the Canary Islands.

Google “Vat back Ireland” for full details. .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

murpho999 wrote: »

It has been bought already, by the looks of the OP. According to Ed E's figures, he'll be better off by €60, but in trouble if anything goes wrong after the first 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Oxter wrote: »
    Most states offer a tax back refund scheme for personal exports, so usually this tax is recoverable.

It’s the same principle as the vat back scheme in Ireland for non EU residents.

eg An American here gets an iPhone and the shop stamps an export voucher.
    This is presented to Airport Customs with the iPhone and stamped. The vat is then sent to the exporters home address.

This would also apply to visitors from non EU countries like Switzerland and the Canary Islands.

Google “Vat back Ireland” for full details. .

Don't you have to present yourself at customs in the airport to claim this?
    Then you open yourself up to a full search and if you bought over your allowance, which I think an iPhone exceeds already and thus risk paying for everything else you have bought?

For this reason, I have never tried to claim back any VAT on USA purchases over the years of travelling there.

kceire wrote: »
    Don't you have to present yourself at customs in the airport to claim this?
    Then you open yourself up to a full search and if you bought over your allowance, which I think an iPhone exceeds already and thus risk paying for everything else you have bought?

For this reason, I have never tried to claim back any VAT on USA purchases over the years of travelling there.

The export form must be presented to Customs at the departure airport, Irish customs not involved. Very often the form is just stamped, no questions.

Fexco are good at this and take care of everything, paying the refund to your card, less handling fee.

I wonder would the Apple Store issue the form?

If flying from Dublin to Switzerland with a Swiss address then it’s possible to reclaim the 23% Irish vat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've never done it for fear of them going through my Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common stash :)

kceire wrote: »
    I've never done it for fear of them going through my Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common stash :)

A stash of Apples would be profitable!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

whiterebel wrote: »
    It has been bought already, by the looks of the OP. According to Ed E's figures, he'll be better off by €60, but in trouble if anything goes wrong after the first 12 months.

Even in the first 12 months there could be issues as they'd have to travel to an Apple Store directly to have the phone examined/repaired/replaced

• Advertisement

Even in the first 12 months there could be issues as they'd have to travel to an Apple Store directly to have the phone examined/repaired/replaced

Join the club!

1.There is no Apple Store in this country

2. There are no certified iPhone repair . Centre’s in this country.

Both of these topics already discussed here.

Mr.S wrote: »
    CompuB / Mactivate etc are all authorised repair centres?

No.

They are iOS repair centres for iPad and iPod.

They are not authorised to open an iPhone.

Mr.S wrote: »
    But if you start the repair process on Apple.com for a physical damage, they are all listed to repair your phone. - unless they just ship it back to Apple for you?

It gets shipped back to Apple.

Their websites are misleading.

They offer warranty repairs for iPad and iPod and simply repairs to iPhone.

If a non iPhone certified repairer opens an iPhone, its warranty is invalidated.

Advertisement