Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Men's Day, November 19

• 04-11-2017 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

An annual opportunity to highlight issues affecting boys and men.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will the ladies/girls/women let us have one day though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

NIMAN wrote: »
    Correction - will the Feminazis let us have even one day? Not all women are culpable and there are male feminists out there too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

What issues would posters like to see raised?

I don't place any stock in these "Intl. day for..." because every damn day is a day for "something" and it cheapens it imo...obligatory 'celebration' with a few soundbites on the radio and some soon-forgotten op-ed in media. For example, today 6 Nov is, Natl. basketball day and, wait for this, International day for preventing the exploitation of the environment in war and armed conflict (checkiday.com).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH like LB I'm extremely dubious of such [insert demographic here] days. Especially one so wide ranging as Men, or Women for that matter. Passes me by I'm afraid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

I'm involved in (voluntary) advocacy for another issue and such days have been useful to get media coverage of it over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nope. Instead of celebrating the great successes of men, it will be a day to poke mental health issues and items such as men are crap at visiting doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

iptba wrote: »
    I'm involved in (voluntary) advocacy for another issue and such days have been useful to get media coverage of it over the years.

Thing is though that the other 364 days of the year, it's some other 'issue' gets a 'special day'. Honestly the 'day of the girl' stuff on LinkedIn recently (I'm not on Facebook, Sh*tter, etc), just had me do a Clint Eastwood impression -

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

It's also my birthday, and I won't be making a big deal of that either :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

But what issues would you like to see raised this year?
    One day a year isn't enough for publicity, though it's far better than zero.

I can't think of many issues affecting men, in general, that haven't been given sufficient exposure.
    It's only when we're dealing with more specific issues, that affect a smaller group of men, that more exposure is required imo.

Our Theme for 2017
    Celebrate Men and Boys

We welcome you to the International Men's Day global website.

Objectives of International Men's Day include a focus on men's and boy's health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. It is an occasion for men to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care while highlighting the discrimination against them.

continues:
    http://www.internationalmensday.com/

Mojo Rising To Shine Light On International Men’s Day

Mojo, the male mental health collective, has today announced their debut event called 'Mojo Rising', which will take place in Dublin each year on International Men’s Day (19 November) to raise awareness and funds for the much-needed service.

Mojo Rising will be an eclectic festival of the arts to support men facing mental health challenges and to celebrate International Men’s Day.

continues:
    http://www.hotpress.com/Mojo-Rising/news/Mojo-Rising-To-Shine-Light-On-International-Mens-Day/21133159.html

• Advertisement

From: The newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland
    International Men’s Day 2017

International Men's Day (IMD) takes place on the 19th of November each year. This day offers an opportunity for everyone to celebrate the important contribution that men and boys make to their families, friends, communities, workplaces, society and the world. However, it is also a time to highlight some of the key issues facing males, and to provide practical support and positive encouragement to overcome these. For example, the Belfast Men’s Health Group will be setting-up a stall in St. Georges Market, Belfast, on Friday 17th November 2017, from 9.30am - 1.00pm, and men of all ages are invited to drop by and avail of the following free services: blood pressure checks, Body Mass Index (BMI) assessment, smoking cessation advice (including carbon monoxide checks), healthy eating guidance, physical activity opportunities, self-help booklets / leaflets … Keep an eye out for IMD activities and events in your area. Better still, why not organise something yourself to mark this day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's great. Delighted to see men's issues get this kind of attention. This is exactly the sort of thing that raises awareness of men's issues like education and mental health.

It's ironic that people complaining about women's Day and day of the girl because there are so many events to highlight women's issues, but then snort at IMD because hey don't think it's much use.

I hope it gets attention and raises awareness of issues that lots of people don't know affect men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

That's great. Delighted to see men's issues get this kind of attention. This is exactly the sort of thing that raises awareness of men's issues like education and mental health.

It's ironic that people complaining about women's Day and day of the girl because there are so many events to highlight women's issues, but then snort at IMD because hey don't think it's much use.

I hope it gets attention and raises awareness of issues that lots of people don't know affect men.

You mean people like prominent feminist MP Jess Phillips right?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/we-need-international-mens-day-about-as-much-as-a-white-history-month-or-able-body-action-day-a6740646.html%3Famp&ved=0ahUKEwj_rrSK2bbXAhXDNhoKHZj5DawQFghaMAo&usg=AOvVaw1pOo2VZH4gTSA-cAxs7qbs&ampcf=1

tritium wrote:
    You mean people like prominent feminist MP Jess Phillips right?

Or UK minister for equalities Caroline Dinenage

Why did you quote me in that?

Why did you quote me in that?

This was your previous point

You'd also criticised mens rights advocates who spend their time criticising feminism

I assumed then that folks like the two i linked to are the kind you had in mind (and whos views youd obviously condemn as reprehensible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

tritium wrote: »
    This was your previous point

Toud also criticises mens rights advocates who spend their time criticising feminism

I assumed then that folks like the two i linked to are the kind you had in mind (and whos views youd obviously condemn as reprehensible)

Except his post was talking about people who complain about women having a day to highlight their issues and then turn around and dismiss IMD. Seeing as it's pretty doubtful those MPs have a problem with international women's day that was a pretty awkward segway in fairness.

From: The newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland

Do you know is there anything in Cork? No luck on the website.

Except his post was talking about people who complain about women having a day to highlight their issues and then turn around and dismiss IMD. Seeing as it's pretty doubtful those MPs have a problem with international women's day that was a pretty awkward segway in fairness.

Didn't feel that way to me tbh...

You do condem their views though right? Given the support youve professed above for IMD

You do condem their views though right? Given the support youve professed above for IMD

Of course I do.

• Advertisement

tritium wrote:

They complained about women's Day and day of the girl because there are so many events to highlight women's issues, but then snort at IMD because hey don't think it's much use? Are you sure thats what they did?
    tritium wrote:
    Toud also criticises mens rights advocates who spend their time criticising feminism
    I'd disagree with that approach the same as I disagree with the locals in these threads who come to life when criticising feminism.

tritium wrote:

Again, have the I especially you linked been complaining about women's Day and day of the girl because there are so many events to highlight women's issues, but then snort at IMD because hey don't think it's much use? I'm not getting that from the article.

Where are you getting that those people complain about women's Day and day of the girl?

Hamfisted, tritium. Wouldn't you just be happy about IMD?

Of course I do.

Oops soz, replied tonwrong post eb, meant for el D.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would have been better to have it today with the matches on.

tritium wrote:

Don't worry about how you feel about it. I said what I find it ironic because it's what I meant to say.
    Of course I support IMD and would disagree with anyone who opposes it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Google highlight women’s day and some places give free things to women.

The same us never done for international men’s day.

The NWCI hate men and boys.

Is there even a day of the boy? Because there’s a day of the girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

A bit of free stuff doesn't really make up for the less money women earn.

alroley wrote: »
    A bit of free stuff doesn't really make up for the less money women earn.

The wage gap is a myth. They don’t compare like for like. They just take all women in a company and compare them against all men.

Why should women get free stuff on IWD when men don’t get free stuff on IMD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Why should women get free stuff on IWD when men don’t get free stuff on IMD?

Because capitalism I assume, some crap tat is handed out in the hope it generates brand loyalty. By all means write to companies who do it for IWD and ask why they dont do it for IMD. It's a valid question.

Because capitalism I assume, some crap tat is handed out in the hope it generates brand loyalty. By all means write to companies who do it for IWD and ask why they dont do it for IMD. It's a valid question.

Feminists would call it sexist. The NWCI are behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

What?

I'd be happier with an International Day of "Being Sound" personally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd be happier with an International Day of "Being Sound" personally.

You mean every day?

Are Google and NWIC in cahoots? If not, what's your point exactly?

No, international day of the boy didn't come up with any search results (on a quick search)

So there looks like there are at least three days focused on females compared to one focused on males

International Day of the Girl (11 October)
    http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/in-focus/girl-child

25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
    http://www.un.org/en/events/endviolenceday/

International Women's Day (IWD): March 8

Some minor ones:
    16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_Days_of_Activism_against_Gender-based_Violence
    16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence is an international campaign to challenge violence against women and girls.

November 29 - International Women Human Rights Defenders Day

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Maleligned

By the looks of things its not the ladies have an issue its the white knights on this board are getting their panties in a twist.

• Advertisement

Maleligned wrote: »

By the looks of things its not the ladies have an issue its the white knights on this board are getting their panties in a twist.
    You’re dead wrong on that. I do t think anyone on this thread has opposed IMD. The ones who have expressed an issue with it are probably not the ‘white knights’.

I’m really not sure what you’re on about.

I appreciate your pro International Men's Day.

But please read that sentence it doesn't make sense I don't think that's what you meant to say and its create lots of confusion on the thread and wasted people's time.

In the debate in the Commons, Caroline Dinenage said: “Women could be forgiven for thinking every day is International Men’s Day”.

Its staggering that the minister for equalities could make such an ignorant statement she should resign for that alone.

You’re dead wrong on that. I do t think anyone on this thread has opposed IMD. The ones who have expressed an issue with it are probably not the ‘white knights’.

I’m really not sure what you’re on about.

There have been a few that have dismissed it.
    Go back and read the thread.

And learn to express yourself a bit better.

Maleligned wrote:
    But please read that sentence it doesn't make sense I don't think that's what you meant to say and its create lots of confusion on the thread and wasted people's time.

Humm. Well there are some posters who complain that there are too many women's days (international women's Day and 'day of the girl' for example. 'where's the men's day equivalent?') Then when there is a day dedicated to highlighting men's issues, they say that those days are useless anyway rather than being glad that there's an opportunity to highlight men's issues.

It's ironic but I wouldn't think it's very confusing.

• Advertisement

Two people, in separate conversations, have thought I was talking about International Wednesday.

Think it could do with a bit more support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

The biggest single issue that is a threat to all men is the modern feminist.

All this #menaretrash bullcrap!!!!! They want us to apologise for being born male!!!

I heard in a college in America(may not be true) that if a white male wants to give an opinion in class they must first state that they acknowledge their opinion comes from a position of white male privilege!!!!!

My wife is better looking than me, more qualified than me, better paid than me, better in bed than me and just in general better than me. What privilege do I have exactly?

Humm. Well there are some posters who complain that there are too many women's days (international women's Day and 'day of the girl' for example. 'where's the men's day equivalent?') Then when there is a day dedicated to highlighting men's issues, they say that those days are useless anyway rather than being glad that there's an opportunity to highlight men's issues.

It's ironic but I wouldn't think it's very confusing.

I'll be clearer if its really necessary. If someone says there are too many women's days and there's no need for a men's day then at least they're being consistent. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

International Men's Day

I didn't even know that was a thing. Anyway, I doubt it'll get much publicity compared to other "International X day" type occasions.

I'll be clearer if its really necessary. If someone says there are too many women's days and there's no need for a men's day then at least they're being consistent. :confused::confused:

That would be true. But their point was that there is too much attention on women’s issues and not enough attention on men’s issues (e.g. women’s days and girl’s days). Then when there’s a men’s day, they say it’s pointless anyway.

So why complain about women’s days if they're useless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its staggering that the minister for equalities could make such an ignorant statement she should resign for that alone.

This is true, someone would be slaughtered for saying the same about in IWD or god forbid Remembrance Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

On the surface and in theory it's not a bad thing. Theory and practice are 2 different things though. It could be the biggest trojan horse going i.e. only really a concessionary gesture so that they can massively promote IWD every year.

You can expect a few things to happen on November 19th.

- An article about "but do we really need it?"

- "It's International Men's Day every day."

- Shoehorning Transmen into the mix.

- "How we need to end "toxic masculinity" to help men." - No issue with opening up the acceptable range of tolerance of what a man is and how he should behave. The problem faced here though is that the sensitive male type is celebrated in this regard; the more traditionally masculine type is seen as "doing it wrong". So basically we are still left with a situation where certain groups of men are seen as bad. I'm not sure that's helpful.

- Some sort of list of how men can join in the fight for equality in something considered an area where men have the advantage.

- “Men have not faced the same historical oppression that women have but”. I.e. I’ll recognise today but let’s put a hierarchy on it, and also that that opinion is stated as fact.

- The celebration of the preferred feminist man type. This will be anything but the traditional "protector" or financial provider capacity. Again, see point re: toxic masculinity.

These of course are hypothetical for the moment until we see the reality of November the 19th. Based on recent examples of IMD day though it's not encouraging.

I can think of few things worse for a person's self-esteem or identity than they are guilty of something through the mere fact of a demographic that applies to them. It would be nice if we got to a point where we stopped hearing the narrative that all men are potential rapists, abusers and oppressors, or in the case of advertising, mumbling simpletons! That might help!

If days such as this end up reverse the proliferation of nonsense such as terms like “Manspreading”, “mansplaining”, ”manterrupting” then great, but I suspect that won’t be covered. Basically it would be nice if the malignance in the media towards men (which has knock-on effects in the wider world) would stop. I’d apply the same rule towards negative terms towards women if such were prevalent (if you think there are I won’t disagree with you, it’s not really the point I’m making).

It would seem easier to apply the standard and expectation that people should generally avoid the wider group of gender or race when it comes to put downs and insults.

We don't need to be mimicking feminists where we demand some sort of gender quota system or picking strands of support for wider societal issues. I'd much rather we approached problems such as homelessness, addiction problems, domestic violence, sexual abuse, workplace safety, wage rates, employer hiring decisions, mental health, college places, divorce court rulings and the like entirely on merit and level of severity, without any bias towards gender or race.

Personally I don’t go along with the “we need more X in Y” stuff. We don’t. All we need is for all people to have the same opportunities as each other. Certain things are and should be enshrined in law. For a lot of things though there is a growing demand for government measures to apply some sort of quota and I’m dead against that. Personally I don’t trust the powers that be when it comes to that or pretty much anything else for that matter.

We seem to have some sort of themed day every other day. The more we promote these sorts of things the more divisions are ramped up/amplified and I have a suspicion that will end up doing more harm than good for men, and indeed women (in my opinion).

I’m not against the idea of the day, it may be a good thing, but for the moment at least I remain sceptical. Let’s see the tone first before it’s judged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if it has any use its to smoke out the misandrists and feminists, they will invariably make some dumb comments that will show them in a bad light.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    if it has any use its to smoke out the misandrists and feminists, they will invariably make some dumb comments that will show them in a bad light.

Like saying it’s pointless? Or the ones who will look past the obvious positive uses for the day to highlight issues affecting men, to look for trivial ways to criticise feminists?

No, Silverharp. You’re dead wrong on this. If it has any use it’s to be for the advancement of men’s rights and publicising the issues that unfairly affect men.

Yeah and I suppose like Women's Day, Day of the Girl, and every day ending in Y, it's an opportunity to snipe and moan about feminists. It'd be an awful shame to squander a second of that opportunity, seeing as it's one that only comes 365 days a year, by highlighting health and social issues that disproportionately affect men, applauding positive role models, promoting or starting men's rights organisations or doing anything vaguely proactive or positive.

Jesus this forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement