Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Men's Day, November 19

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What would you do when you ‘smoke ‘em out’ anyway? Belt them over the head with a shovel?

I can’t help tho long that the worst outcome for someone with your views, would be if IMD was a rip-roaring success. Good discussions about men’s health and boys education.

It’s a golden opportunity to raise awareness of the challenges men face. And you’re going to spend the day looking for bitter aul bints who oppose it -your opposite number on the feminist side. Be sure to post a screenshot.

Shame on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Yeah and I suppose like Women's Day, Day of the Girl, and every day ending in Y, it's an opportunity to snipe and moan about feminists. It'd be an awful shame to squander a second of that opportunity, seeing as it's one that only comes 365 days a year, by highlighting health and social issues that disproportionately affect men, applauding positive role models, promoting or starting men's rights organisations or doing anything vaguely proactive or positive.

Jesus this forum.

To be fair this forum is better than most at allowing dissenting views and debating them. The flipside of that is that it doesn't always read like a single consensus view on mens rights and how best to advance them. That possibly reflects the relative newness of mens rights as a concept. Its also i think a positive thing overall

tritium wrote:
    To be fair this forum is better than most at allowing dissenting views and debating them. The flipside of that is that it doesn't always read like a single consensus view on mens rights and how best to advance them. That possibly reflects the relative newness of mens rights as a concept. Its also i think a positive thing overall

The comment in question has nothing to do with men's rights. In fact, it looks beyond an opportunity to push men's rights and goes straight to an opportunity to bitch about feminists. Some posters don't even pretend they're interested in men's rights.

The comment in question has nothing to do with men's rights. In fact, it looks beyond an opportunity to push men's rights and goes straight to an opportunity to bitch about feminists. Some posters don't even pretend they're interested in men's rights.

EB didnt quote anyone. Her comment was about the forum not one particular poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

The wage gap is a myth. They don’t compare like for like. They just take all women in a company and compare them against all men.

Why should women get free stuff on IWD when men don’t get free stuff on IMD?

What stuff?

tritium wrote: »
    EB didnt quote anyone. Her comment was about the forum not one particular poster.

Fair enough. I presumed EB was referring to the post 2before theirs which said the use of IMD is to smoke out feminists and misandrists who oppose it. I could be mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Fair enough. I presumed EB was referring to the post 2before theirs which said the use of IMD is to smoke out feminists and misandrists who oppose it. I could be mistaken.

No you were right.

Sorry, I always forget to quote when I'm posting from my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

10 reasons we should be celebrating International Men's Day
    Glen Poole
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10-reasons-we-should-be-celebrating-international-mens-day/

(UK)
    The shocking number of dads feeling pressure to juggle work and family

Only one in 10 (10%) fathers surveyed had never taken time off work for child-related matters
    More than four in five fathers with children aged under 16 feel some level of stress at trying to juggle work and family life, a survey has found.

Some 84% of working men said they feel this pressure, according to the research released ahead of International Men's Day on Sunday November 19.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-number-dads-feeling-pressure-13915034

• Advertisement

Twitter trends:

#InternationalMensDay
    Mental health is a focus of International Men's Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Well, that GIF depiction is not smart - it's just a display of plain ignorance that only serves the argument that feminism has gone too far or that feminism is really all about me, me, me!

silverharp wrote: »
    Is there any need to point out the irony of Silverharp searching the internet for a woman who opposes IMD, to post it in a thread which is peppered with men’s comments which oppose IMD? Why is a feminist’s opposition so much more interesting to you than the men posting in the thread who oppose IMD?

You yourself have said your only use for IMD is to ‘smoke out’ feminists who oppose it. If you’re hunting for opposition to IMD, look no further than this thread and engage with those who oppose it.

Alas, you only show interest in feminists. No evidence of interest in men’s rights. Pity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

#InternationalMensDay

(lets keep this trending on Boards.ie at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tritium wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate.....

on bright side it looks like it was deleted

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

silverharp wrote: »
    on bright side it looks like it was deleted

Kind of back fired on them with the replies they got

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I actually replied directly on twitter myself and told her that she was only showing her ignorance.

Irish Times:
    International Men’s Day: Many areas still need shaking up

‘We would do well to give boys and young men a more healthy image of themselves’

Sun, Nov 19, 2017, 16:08

[..]

Many more specific areas need shaking up.

Custody of children

For instance, when a marriage breaks up the assumption is that it is the man who will leave the family home. It is also assumed, and is the case in the overwhelming majority of instances, that the mother will retain custody of the children.

Two years ago, then Fine Gael TD Alan Shatter stated in the Dáil that there was a problem which he described as “enormous” of mothers deliberately making it difficult for fathers who are living separately to have access to their children. In these cases, the children become pawns in the conflict between mother and father.

Most lone mothers do not behave like this, and some lone fathers don’t see their children as often as the mothers, and children, want them to. But the effect on the mental health of men unfairly blocked from seeing their children is, I think, obvious — and it cannot, in most cases, be good for the welfare of their children either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/international-men-s-day-many-areas-still-need-shaking-up-1.3297549

• Advertisement
Advertisement