Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 2 PS4s for my PS account

Options
  • 04-11-2017 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a 4 year old PS4 with a plus account for me and secondary account for my son.

I've buying a used PS4 pro this morning and want to know if I can use both consoles in the house when I login to the new PRO.

Can myself and my son play both machines - online play, buying new games etc. using my main account?

Edit : I am porting over the information from my old PS4 to my new PS4 Pro and setting that as the primary - so my question is this - the Old PS4 if connected in another room will I be able to log on with my accouny and will my son's profile still play with plus online features etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

You need to leave your old console as the main console on your account. That way, your son has access to your games and you can still play all your games on the new console. I have this system set up with my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks

As per my seperate updated thread - which is a totally different direction to the content in my first post here...

I have a used PS4 system that is 4 years old and I have a Plus account from myself and a second account from my son for his games and saves etc. Over the weekend I purchased a PS4 Pro and used the option of taking the information from my old PS4 and migrating the data to the PS4 pro. all my account information went over successfully and the new PS4 pro was activated as my primary machine. however it seems like I cannot play both machines at once.. example me playing the pro downstairs and my son playing the Old PS4 upstairs. As a consumer I have bought 2 PS4 consoles but I seem to be restricted in playing both of them any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You set the pro as your account's primary PS4 that's your mistake.

Go into the option on the pro and deactivate it as primary, and then activate the old PS4 as primary. You'll be able to play on your account as it's the account that owns everything, and your sons account will work as it's playing on a PS4 that has been set as you accounts primary console.

Which every PS4 you want your son to play on on his account has to be the one you set as the primary on your account.

Varik wrote: »
    You set the pro as your account's primary PS4 that's your mistake.

Go into the option on the pro and deactivate it as primary, and then activate the old PS4 as primary. You'll be able to play on your account as it's the account that owns everything, and your sons account will work as it's playing on a PS4 that has been set as you accounts primary console.

Which every PS4 you want your son to play on on his account has to be the one you set as the primary on your account.

Thanks for the reply. but just to confirm will deactivating the PS4 pro as my primary limit its functionality in terms of updating the system with updates and being able to play with the live account.

Also will he have the option of playing on the PS4 downstairs on the pro.? it seems very odd that I cannot have full functionality across two machines in one house.

Also will we be able to play simultaneously on both consoles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. but just to confirm will deactivating the PS4 pro as my primary limit its functionality in terms of updating the system with updates and being able to play with the live account.

Yes, my pro is not my primary console and it regularly updates games.
    Also will he have the option of playing on the PS4 downstairs on the pro.? it seems very odd that I cannot have full functionality across two machines in one house.

Yes, once his account is set up on it.

Yes. My oh plays the other PS4 while I'm on the pro.

It'll download updates fine, you won't be able to push download (if you buy something on your phone and want to have it download before you get home). But you can manually download anything.

Save files won't be able to be set to auto upload, you can do it manually and save those to the cloud.

By play live account do you mean use your PSN account, then yes you will but to use it's games the console has to be connected to the internet.

He can play his account but not your games (digital ones tied to your account) or online on the non-primary account. If it's a disc game he can play it but not online as plus is tied to your account while the licence is tied to the disc.

You have 1 licence for content and services for the account it was bought on. Your account has inherent access to it and can designate a single system (home/primary system) where it can be used by all.

Yes, as long as you're playing on your account connected to the internet and your son is playing on the primary account.

If you want to switch it around you'll need to change which is the primary console.

So just so you have the full picture the pro is identical to the old PS4 because I use the migration tool.. so the steps are as follows: I deactivate the pro in settings and activate the old PS4 upstairs shortly afterwards

this will do the job 100% so I can log on to both consoles and play and so can my son on both consoles?

Thanks again!

So just so you have the full picture the pro is identical to the old PS4 because I use the migration tool.. so the steps are as follows: I deactivate the pro in settings and activate the old PS4 upstairs shortly afterwards

this will do the job 100% so I can log on to both consoles and play and so can my son on both consoles?

Thanks again!

He can play on both consoles, but if something is tied to your account such as a downloaded game, a plus game, or online access he can't use that on the non-primary console.

It'll download updates fine, you won't be able to push download (if you buy something on your phone and want to have it download before you get home). But you can manually download anything.

Save files won't be able to be set to auto upload, you can do it manually and save those to the cloud.

By play live account do you mean use your PSN account, then yes you will but to use it's games the console has to be connected to the internet.

He can play his account but not your games (digital ones tied to your account) or online on the non-primary account. If it's a disc game he can play it but not online as plus is tied to your account while the licence is tied to the disc.

You have 1 licence for content and services for the account it was bought on. Your account has inherent access to it and can designate a single system (home/primary system) where it can be used by all.

Yes, as long as you're playing on your account connected to the internet and your son is playing on the primary account.

If you want to switch it around you'll need to change which is the primary console.

OK. So this is the worry and frustration... That he is locked out of my games upstairs... This is why I tried to take action to enable the ability to play ALL games on both consoles.

It's very frustrating if this is the case seeing as I have bought two pieces of Sony hardware the games digitally. I should have the right to play everything on both machines I feel...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I should have the right to play everything on both machines I feel...

You do have the right to play all your games on both consoles, however, family/friends can only play your games on the primary console.

Apologies guys for dragging this out but I just want to be 100%...

so if I activate the Old PS4 up in the Attic for my son he has full access to all my games under his profile and can play away

while I can play on the PS4 pro downstairs on my account with full access to all my games and use all of the PS4 as admin attributes like updating games, saves and updates to the system etc.

What are the drawbacks on the pro system if it is not Primary.

Thanks again!

Apologies guys for dragging this out but I just want to be 100%...

so if I activate the Old PS4 up in the Attic for my son he has full access to all my games under his profile and can play away

while I can play on the PS4 pro downstairs on my account with full access to all my games and use all of the PS4 as admin attributes like updating games, saves and updates to the system etc.

Yes

What are the drawbacks on the pro system if it is not Primary.

Thanks again!

You son will need to set the pro as primary and switch them around to play your digital games downstairs or to play online games that required playstation plus.

It used to be better as it was tied to the console fully so you'd have had no troulbe but they changed things with the PS4 so it's now this way which is the same as Xbox.

Yes

You son will need to set the pro as primary and switch them around to play your digital games downstairs or to play online games that required playstation plus.

It used to be better as it was tied to the console fully so you'd have had no troulbe but they changed things with the PS4 so it's now this way which is the same as Xbox.

Hi. Youve confused me in saying move the pro upstairs. The point of getting the pro was that I could play it on my 4k tv downstairs while my son and his mates could play in the attic.

So the plan for this to work is to remove primary from pro set the old PS4 upstairs to primary...?

Yes

Hi. Youve confused me in saying move the pro upstairs. The point of getting the pro was that I could play it on my 4k tv downstairs while my son and his mates could play in the attic.

So the plan for this to work is to remove primary from pro set the old PS4 upstairs to primary...?

Never said to move them, said that if he's downstairs he'll need to set the Pro as primary. That involves switching them to deactivate the normal PS4 and activate the Pro.

Never said to move them, said that if he's downstairs he'll need to set the Pro as primary. That involves switching them to deactivate the normal PS4 and activate the Pro.

OK thanks for that... Appreciate the advice!

OK thanks for that... Appreciate the advice!

Just to add,

He needs to log on to your account on either machine and change which is primary.

If he's on his own account and set it to primary it won't help as it's your account that has the content and is the one that matters.

Just to add,

He needs to log on to your account on either machine and change which is primary.

If he's on his own account and set it to primary it won't help as it's your account that has the content and is the one that matters.

Understood. Thanks again

Advertisement