Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there paid shills, hired trolls, and web bots on boards.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think we've a high opinion of ourselves if we think the place is infiltrated with bots and shills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

American Pro Life groups have huge groups of bots trying to save Ireland.

Third time you made the same point.

Definitely a Pro Choice Bot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Arghus wrote: »
    I think we've a high opinion of ourselves if we think the place is infiltrated with bots and shills.

The Water threads were full of them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Why do you assume that people who are sympathetic to Russia are paid by them (or that Russia would care about boards anyway).

I didn't assume lightly. The poster in question started out with pro-Russia posts in relation to Ukraine. Then they eventually branched out into more Irish centric topics. Their posting in these improved but I started to notice some copypasta from other sources pop into their talking points.

Are you familiar with the book The Foundations of Geopolitics: The Geopolitical Future of Russia? It highlights the ideas of sowing racial tensions and other civil discord in America, cutting off the UK from the rest of Europe amongst other things.

Boards is one of the busiest sites in Ireland and it also happens to be a discussion forum. Why do you think Russian propagandists wouldn't be interested in posting here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

circadian wrote: »
    I didn't assume lightly. The poster in question started out with pro-Russia posts in relation to Ukraine. Then they eventually branched out into more Irish centric topics. Their posting in these improved but I started to notice some copypasta from other sources pop into their talking points.

Are you familiar with the book The Foundations of Geopolitics: The Geopolitical Future of Russia? It highlights the ideas of sowing racial tensions and other civil discord in America, cutting off the UK from the rest of Europe amongst other things.

Boards is one of the busiest sites in Ireland and it also happens to be a discussion forum. Why do you think Russian propagandists wouldn't be interested in posting here?

Because Ireland doesn’t matter. If Russia is using the pathologies and divisions of the west to harm the west then maybe we should abandon our pathologies and divisiveness- most of which is driven by the fever swamps of American culture wars.

Because Ireland doesn’t matter. If Russia is using the pathologies and divisions of the west to harm the west then maybe we should abandon our pathologies and divisiveness- most of which is driven by the fever swamps of American culture wars.

You don't think that the Repeal the 8th debate is going to draw some interest from these propaganda farms?

I fail to see how Ireland doesn't matter. It's the only English speaking country in the EU once the UK leaves. It's an easy target given our close ties with the UK and USA given that many Irish people emigrate there or have family there.

Just look at the extent of these propaganda farms in US social media alone, I'm sure more will come out about UK social media too.

Then I think we won't be surprised to find out about smaller operations in places like the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Poland etc. Ireland is just as important as any other country in the EU. Causing discord amongst it's citizens and increasing hostility against the EU is the game of the day.

I'll just get some popcorn....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Where might one sign up for this paid trolling.

Asking for a friend.

• Advertisement

You don't think that the Repeal the 8th debate is going to draw some interest from these propaganda farms?

I think that there will be plenty of US involvement on both sides if that’s what you mean. I’m pretty sure that the guardian will have something to say as well.
    I fail to see how Ireland doesn't matter. It's the only English speaking country in the EU once the UK leaves. It's an easy target given our close ties with the UK and USA given that many Irish people emigrate there or have family there.

Just look at the extent of these propaganda farms in US social media alone, I'm sure more will come out about UK social media too.

Then I think we won't be surprised to find out about smaller operations in places like the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Poland etc. Ireland is just as important as any other country in the EU. Causing discord amongst it's citizens and increasing hostility against the EU is the game of the day.

This discord already exists. I find it hilarious that the Russians are blamed for amplifying cultural wars that the US is basically responsible for creating and exporting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Yes but I can't say who pays me.

A big horse

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

So, my question is this-how would boards.ie know if there are paid shills and automated web bot accounts, and what can they do about it?

Mods are assigned a certain number of ordinary posters (or "normals" as we call em) in our local areas which we have to carry out regular checks on. If there are any tell tail signs e.g. lots of vodka bottles and borst wrappers in their bins, we let Mod HQ know and usually the poster is no more trouble.

Oh, youre out of milk by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I think your earlier 'the republic is evil and unionist cocks taste best' thread might be a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

It's all Russia fault or something.

• Advertisement

I hate Putin because he is killing all the bees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's the only English speaking country in the EU once the UK leaves.

The Maltese might disagree with you.

Wrong. People always forget Malta and Cyprus.

Touche, a fair point that I missed.

Its fine. They just melt in your mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Most - if not close to all - the people I know have never heard of Boards. I literally don't know anyone under 25 that uses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

I would agree Arghus regarding suspicion of there being Russia shills on Boards but I'd believe it in relation to Israel ones (because of considerable support for Palestine here in Ireland).

Hardline republican or anti abortion or government shills on Irish forums, I don't know - there are probably enough such supporters in Ireland anyway without the need to recruit them. Sometimes people can be so astounded at someone opposing their view that they convince themselves it couldn't be genuine and they're on the take... whereas it might just be a genuine staunch defender of the other view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Arghus wrote: »

Most - if not close to all - the people I know have never heard of Boards. I literally don't know anyone under 25 that uses it.

Russia this, Russia that, Russia eat my homework, Russia, Russia, Russia. It borders on pathetic. I now see people blaming Russia for Brexit. Some people will never get over the revolutionary year of 2016.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And that's how you make a Maltese Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ireland is not as important as any other country in the EU.
    Certainly below Germany, France, Spain............

We're probably in the same league as Slovenia, Slovakia, Estonia etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That sein fein page is gas!
    Blatantly saying it as another user said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    All news is fake.
    To rephrase something that's attributed to various people.

News is something somebody doesn’t want printed; all else is advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It is possible to believe in both these theories...
    a) that there is a heck of a lot of crap going on in the US/EU
    and
    b)that Russia/Putin is not our saviour.

I second an earlier reference to Alexander Dugin's Geopolitics book (Circadian mentioned it, i think?). A nasty piece of work is that man (Dugin), he very much has the ear of Putin, and is very popular in alt-right and alternative forums generally, but he is a truly dangerous and subversive element. The use of social forums and divisive identity politics movements in the ''west'' is part of his favoured modus operandi.
    People who seek to critique our present western political, economic and societal deficits and failings (as useful and necessary as that may be) should be very wary of the company they keep.

From Foundations of Geoplitics - “The existence of the Russian people as an organic historical community is inconceivable without empire-building, continental creativity. Russians will remain a people only in the framework of the New Empire. This Empire must, in accordance with the logic of geopolitics, strategically and spatially surpass its antecedent (Soviet Union). Therefore, the New Empire has to be Eurasian, continental and a World Empire. The battle for global rule by the Russian people is not finished.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Malayalam wrote: »
    It is possible to believe in both these theories...
    a) that there is a heck of a lot of crap going on in the US/EU
    and
    b)that Russia/Putin is not our saviour.

I second an earlier reference to Alexander Dugin's Geopolitics book (Circadian mentioned it, i think?). A nasty piece of work is that man (Dugin), he very much has the ear of Putin, and is very popular in alt-right and alternative forums generally, but he is a truly dangerous and subversive element. The use of social forums and divisive identity politics movements in the ''west'' is part of his favoured modus operandi.
    People who seek to critique our present western political, economic and societal deficits and failings (as useful and necessary as that may be) should be very wary of the company they keep.

From Foundations of Geoplitics - “The existence of the Russian people as an organic historical community is inconceivable without empire-building, continental creativity. Russians will remain a people only in the framework of the New Empire. This Empire must, in accordance with the logic of geopolitics, strategically and spatially surpass its antecedent (Soviet Union). Therefore, the New Empire has to be Eurasian, continental and a World Empire. The battle for global rule by the Russian people is not finished.”

And if they can influence elections in other countries it aids their cause of course.
    The advent of social media has increased the ease with which any person can get their point of view across to an audience and gain support.
    Whether paid explicitly for the purpose or not virtually all organisations that exist now have shills or trolls on social media of all kinds, be it Facebook or any other popular site, why should boards be the exception. Without commenting on moderators performances, who knows whether even their ranks haven't been infiltrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Edward M wrote: »
    And if they can influence elections in other countries it aids their cause of course.
    The advent of social media has increased the ease with which any person can get their point of view across to an audience and gain support.
    Whether paid explicitly for the purpose or not virtually all organisations that exist now have shills or trolls on social media of all kinds, be it Facebook or any other popular site, why should boards be the exception. Without commenting on moderators performances, who knows whether even their ranks haven't been infiltrated?

The influencing of elections runs both ways (all ways in fact). Yes, Russia infiltrates, but so does the US and sometimes blatantly so (I am not sure about EU and other states, it is not something widely investigated).
    Being either anti-western and pro-Russian (an amazingly popular stance at the moment, with Putin set up as the knight who will save us from the NWO), or anti-Russian and pro-US (which is considered the ''rational'' stance in the established media) are both limited and limiting view points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

They make it very hard for the ordinary decent troll to go about their business these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They make it very hard for the ordinary decent troll to go about their business these days.

When I came online nearly 20 years ago, Trolling meant something else. These days, it's just shorthand for being a d*ck. Back in my day, trolling took effort. For that, I tip my hat to you, sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What would you know about trolling TRoL?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Dunno about anyone else, but whenever I make a post supporting the legalisation of abortion in Ireland, I receive a cheque from George Soros a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

RayM wrote: »
    Dunno about anyone else, but whenever I make a post supporting the legalisation of abortion in Ireland, I receive a cheque from George Soros a few days later.

I get wired money almost instantly and the more vowels used get paid extra

RayM wrote: »

Missing a trick there.

You can get paid by Soros for supporting abortion and by Putin for both opposing abortion and supporting abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Wheety wrote: »
    The transport Unions have a few accounts on here :rolleyes:

Yes, the <snip> account appears to be somewhat questionable. Would be interested to see the IP address used by said account holder? Do Admins actually check this stuff out?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, the <snip> account appears to be somewhat questionable. Would be interested to see the IP address used by said account holder? Do Admins actually check this stuff out?

Yes, if a poster is reported as suspicious we check the account and take appropriate action should the suspicion be confirmed.

Also, please don't name and shame other posters publicly, if you have concerns about a poster then please use the report post button. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I know some forums have users who are simply mouthpieces for a particular political party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't be silly comrades.

Let us all just be good Irish friends and go out for pints of vodka and not get attacked by bears like we always do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if boards would accept 'donations' to push certain political opinions? I strongly suspect at least one Irish online site is already doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So, my question is this-how would boards.ie know if there are paid shills and automated web bot accounts, and what can they do about it?
    They'd only know if I was foolish enough to post about it. S'pose they'd probably ban me or something?

I don't think I'll ever be caught though. I'm way too smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If it worked it would mean most of the population are stupid and are open to manipulation I just don't think people are that stupid social media has had it day in that sense.

The 'influences', PR and social marketers want to believe it works more that anything else and of course there are a few stupid people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We've a few posters who are extremely good at waffling about vlaidi Putin in Moscow but don't ever seem to have anything to say about Irish issues ,or Europe, movies ,
    Just Putin odd considering we've very little in common with Russia .

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

There are all sorts here. Even some nice people who agree with my opinions. But the thing to note while here on boards.ie is that there are no less than 32 potential trackers following you around on this site. If you install the Privacy Badger addon on you browser you can see what they are. The big mystery is what are they all looking for or hoping to find out about you???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

mbur wrote: »
    There are all sorts here. Even some nice people who agree with my opinions. But the thing to note while here on boards.ie is that there are no less than 32 potential trackers following you around on this site. If you install the Privacy Badger addon on you browser you can see what they are. The big mystery is what are they all looking for or hoping to find out about you???

Looking for people with possible dissident Republican connections, or strong leanings towards movements with extreme views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

There is a spelling error on theat Sinn Fein online sign up page.
    "The internet and social media are transforming politics around the world and here in Ireland."

It should be 26 counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

diomed wrote: »
    There is a spelling error on theat Sinn Fein online sign up page.

It should be 26 counties.

Sinn Fein online and spelling errors....sounds familiar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if boards would accept 'donations' to push certain political opinions? I strongly suspect at least one Irish online site is already doing this.

Lots of tabloid newspapers pages on Facebook will quite blatantly push certain political opinions. Making fun of trump , other popular left wing things, whatever about those issues its completely unprofessional for a newspaper be any way subjective . Its low even for a tabloid

Gatling wrote: »
    We've a few posters who are extremely good at waffling about vlaidi Putin in Moscow but don't ever seem to have anything to say about Irish issues ,or Europe, movies ,
    Just Putin odd considering we've very little in common with Russia .

Lol. I think you’re posting from Langley.

• Advertisement
Advertisement