Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 gang 3.1A double USB / double 13A switched socket - reduced to €8.50 woodies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

€15 BOGOF in maplin recently which is great for €7.50

This is a great price too and will pick some up. The 2 that I got were very handy

I just bought a new house, shame these aren't a standard but no doubt they will be in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Great deal and a decent brand, seems to be plenty in stock around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

These good for fast/turbo charging?

Would also free up a couple of sockets behind tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

dodzy wrote:
    A steal at this price.

Can these replace an existing double socket in a house built about 30 years? Would the existing back do or would I need to purchase the backing separately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

august12 wrote: »
    Can these replace an existing double socket in a house built about 30 years? Would the existing back do or would I need to purchase the backing separately?

You should be fine. Get one to test but they have a shallow profile.

I have several in my place (built in 93) and zero fitting issues

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    These good for fast/turbo charging?

Would also free up a couple of sockets behind tv.

3.1A is plenty of umph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I'm sure plenty of non electricians are going to be fitting these, so just one word of warning.

When the new one is wired and clamps tightened, position the socket, then check the wires are still clamped tight.
    Loads of times I've seen cables come loose after positioning the socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

dodzy wrote:
    I have several in my place (built in 93) and zero fitting issues
    Thanks, do you think the existing backing is ok, I should just purchase the outer part and check if it fits. Sorry, I don't know the technical terms for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Handy guide here on how to install, as always with electrics if in doubt get an electrician...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

You should also pick this lad up too

https://www.woodies.ie/onsite-tester-14cm-1034730

Bargainception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stevek93 wrote: »

I was thinking similar. Are the circuits in the USB port constantly live or are they switched with the socket? It's not clear from the information that Woodies supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Would these not be using electricity all the time, even when not in use? I assume the voltage has to be stepped down to 5V using a built-in transformer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I still think these are stupid.

The BS 1363 (UK Plug) hasnt changed since before 1950, USB was only 500mA a decade ago and device currents change from year to year (my 3yr old phone charges at 4.5A but these are only 3.1....). Leave the charging to wall warts and change them every 18mo to meet the new standards.

ED E wrote: »

The BS 1363 (UK Plug) hasnt changed since before 1950, USB was only 500mA a decade ago and device currents change from year to year (my 3yr old phone charges at 4.5A but these are only 3.1....). Leave the charging to wall warts and change them every 18mo to meet the new standards.

Go way outa that. These are perfectly fit for purpose.

August12, I’d say you’ll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

ED E wrote: »

Most use 2A, for standard charging, but fast charging won't work as that is typically an increase in volts. Some do use a lot more amps for fast charging, but this socket will still charge any device decent enough.

4.5A basically means you can only use the original charger if you want to fast charge, as most standards don't use that many AMPS. I think the new Qualcomm quickcharge3/4+ does.

These sockets are also handy for anyone with a Chromecast/Fire stick and want to free up a socket behind the TV. keep in mind that I believe the 3.1A is shared across the 2 USB ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

dodzy wrote: »
    3.1A is plenty of umph
    That's 3.1A shared between the two lines. One is max 2.1A so no fast/turbo charging even if only one line is used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

I got 1 fitted it with zero issues, hundreds in stock at Woodies Sallynoggin.

That's 3.1A shared between the two lines. One is max 2.1A so no fast/turbo charging even if only one line is used.

It’s €8.50. I’m sure 2.1A is sufficient for the vast majority of people. Seriously, how fast do some people really need to charge their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Fitted one of these myself, they are quite good quality. Also the back of the socket isn't too deep so should work on a standard backing box with few issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ordered up a few of these - very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Are they not constantly using electricity though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yes they do use power all the time, there is no way to switch them off. They use a couple of watts per hour at a guess.

Electricians don't like them because they can't do their insulation resistance test without removing them.

I have one in the kitchen, they're handy but not essential. I wouldn't go round replacing every socket in the house with them. As someone else said maybe behind the TV or couch, somewhere you'll definitely use it in other words. But yeah, they will probably be obsolete in less than ten years as technology moves on, so get them in fast before it's too late :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I made the decision some time ago to not install such integrated USB sockets. I looked into it a couple of years ago and the following document was one of very few non-marketing or anecdotal sources of info I could find: LINK

…that doesn’t make for comfortable reading. At the time there wasn’t any widely adopted standard for USB ports integrated into plug sockets, that alone was enough to put me off using them.

Not that standards are a guarantee of anything of course, if I buy something unbranded then I take the claimed standards it proclaims to adhere to with a pinch of salt, but when it comes to safety I err on the side of caution. And potentially low quality (poorly insulated, in particular) USB sockets that are permanently powered on are a risk too far for me. The switches on most, and perhaps all, plug sockets control the plug outlets only, not the USB ports.

I’ve read references to a new standard, IEC 61558-2-16, which sounds like it might cover integrated USB ports, but from a casual search I’ve not been able to find anything useful/decipherable about it (I’m not an electrician so I’m looking for information that even a dummy can understand). I’ve also come across mention of at least one notable brand (MK, I think) integrating a on/off switch specifically for the USB ports into their sockets, but from a cursory look I’ve not been able to find anything further on that either.

I had a look at the MK Electric website and I see that their integrated USB ports push a total of 2A shared across both ports. 2A is quite low these days, which makes me wonder why they are limiting their product to that. Are they concerned about the safety implications of higher output? I’ve no idea, but it’s one more thing that doesn’t reassure me, your mileage may vary.

And apart from safety concerns, USB is changing all the time, the kind of power that devices draw has increased a lot over the years and is still evolving. I’m not sure that I’d want to install a whole bunch of integrated sockets today that might essentially be “out of date” within a few years. Replacing a plug-in charger is easy, replacing an entire integrated plug socket just because of the USB ports is tedious and probably more expensive, replacing multiple plug sockets would be a headache.

Plus there is the environmental factor too. I don’t leave devices in standby mode unnecessarily, I switch them off at the plug socket, the idea of an (unused) USB transformer constantly consuming power bothers me. It may be a relatively small amount of power in itself, but over time that obviously becomes more significant and it’s entirely wasted energy. And multiply that wasted energy by the number of integrated plug sockets of course.

So for the moment I remain unconvinced about USB ports integrated into plug sockets. The one scenario where I might try them is a double socket for the house soon that’ll be controlled by a switched fused unit, so that I can kill power to the entire socket via a switch when it’s not in use. Otherwise I’ll stick with plug-in chargers for now.

There are other options of course, such as this plug-in one that “frees up” the plug socket itself while also providing dual USB ports (chose this one at random, I’ve no idea of its quality, and while this one is not yet released there are versions readily available today): LINK

Advertisement