Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer, chips or cake...what do you forego?

• 04-11-2017 12:42pm

Of the more famous temptations, alcohol, fatty/junk food and sweet/rich treats, what do you find yourself declining because of running?

I find it easy enough to say no to fast food, chips, burgers, pizzas etc. And cake, chocolate and buns too. But don't think any possible improvement in times would see me give up the 6 pack of Aldi beer twice a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

Alcohol. If I'm planning a run I won't drink the day or night before because I know it'll mess up my head, stomach and hydration.

Wouldn't have a bag of chips from the takeaway either because the grease would make my stomach feel heavy for about a day afterwards but I would have a burger, pizza or a chicken fillet kebab no problem. Cake and scones not a problem either but I eat so much of them already I must have built up a bit of a tolerance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Conor74 wrote:
    Of the more famous temptations, alcohol, fatty/junk food and sweet/rich treats, what do you find yourself declining because of running?

From my experience alcohol has the biggest impact on my running. Without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nothing, everything is fine in moderation. I still have my weekly takeaway, a biscuit or two a day with tea, chocolate now and again, and beer and wine.

If you're running your ass off and not an elite at national or international level, where's the fun in denying yourself treats, especially as you can afford to indulge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Cake, no one ever got fat drinking alcohol ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Alcohol is a “toxin” in certain amounts. Probably the worst thing to be ingesting if you’re serious about running and succeeding/improving..

The other stuff is just food.. relates more to your weight and weight management..yes, good choices can make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Alcohol if I'm seriously training for something, could go 4-5 months without touching a drop. All the others in moderation as others have said, do have a hoor of a sweet tooth though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've ran some of my best races and times after 1 - 2 quality beers the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Obviously drinking 24 hour before a race or serious training session is a no-no, but wouldn’t cut alcohol out completely but then again I can’t drink it like I used to!!! I actually use it as a motivation during my 30-32km training runs. “Get it done and there’s 3 bottles of x tonight!! Keep going!!”.

No harm in having a treat every so often, gotta live and all that, but I do check the sugar content on what I buy, eg granola, and go for the lowest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Smoking...don't smoke much anyway but running is a good deterrent to cut down or cut it out altogether and in the lead up to a race I wouldn't smoke for 3-4 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Chips, takeaways very rarely. The odd pizza usually post race tho.
    Alcohol, the rare blow out but usually long ways out from races and early in training phases. Training will be arranged around going drinking.
    Cakes, ah my Achilles heel. Always time for cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Started doing my own pizzas from a base with my own toppings and all that as opposed to processed pizzas that you buy frozen.

Simple step.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Went to a talk earlier this year from a national level marathon runner who said the most important thing is running, and the second most important thing is sleep. Everything else is a long way off these two, in his book at least. Now I wouldn't take that as a license to crack out the Custard Creams and start lorrying them in, but it was a relief to hear someone of that standard saying that you don't have to deny yourself everything.

I'm a sucker for biscuits and cake, so it can be a struggle to rein that in.

On alcohol - like This Regard I don't find any harm in having an occasional beer or couple of glasses of wine. But too much alcohol does disrupt my sleep as well as my ability to get the most from training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nothing, everything is fine in moderation. I still have my weekly takeaway, a biscuit or two a day with tea, chocolate now and again, and beer and wine.

If you're running your ass off and not an elite at national or international level, where's the fun in denying yourself treats, especially as you can afford to indulge?

This moderation you speak of, Id like to learn some more about it. Maybe you could post a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

One season I ran my fastest time of the season (PB at the time) just days after 2 weeks of solid eating crap and drinking like a fish over Christmas. I then cut down on booze enormously for the rest of the season and didn’t go any faster.

Wouldn’t overthink it. If there’s something you want, just have it. Keep things in moderation.

Personally, I find a couple of pints here and there makes no difference. Heavy binge drinking sessions on the other hand are detrimental. Stags, weddings etc. They leave you in rag order, and then you are susceptible to picking up colds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Chivito550 wrote: »
    One season I ran my fastest time of the season (PB at the time) just days after 2 weeks of solid eating crap and drinking like a fish over Christmas. I then cut down on booze enormously for the rest of the season and didn’t go any faster.

Wouldn’t overthink it. If there’s something you want, just have it. Keep things in moderation.

Personally, I find a couple of pints here and there makes no difference. Heavy binge drinking sessions on the other hand are detrimental. Stags, weddings etc. They leave you in rag order, and then you are susceptible to picking up colds.

Ye track fairies obviously have better self restraint than the road runner(well me anyway). If i drink its a binge unfortunately but luckily enough that happens 3-4 times a year. I feel the impact after only a few drinks, i know it doesn't suit me, but the beer in Holland is to nice and to cheap:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This thread reminded me of this recent tweet from Hannah England.

https://twitter.com/hannengland/status/915503771446366208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultrapercy wrote: »
    This moderation you speak of, Id like to learn some more about it. Maybe you could post a link?

Here you go ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

kit3 wrote: »
    Here you go ....

:pac: Just spat me wine mineral water out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I live in a neverending cycle of trying to cut out junk. Rarely successful but i figure if i wasnt trying itd be worse.

I dont feel the bad food effects how i perform in races/training but its the belly id be concerned about.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I live in a neverending cycle of trying to cut out junk. Rarely successful but i figure if i wasnt trying itd be worse.

I dont feel the bad food effects how i perform in races/training but its the belly id be concerned about.

Bad food/belly? Not linked...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Yep well it does effect that, but so does any food. I just mean how you feel lile the way you feel bad hungover and dont perform as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well, I never eat cake when I'm drinking beer, and I never eat chips after eating cake. Does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We only live once and we aren't professionals!

So enjoy life when you can.

We only live once and we aren't professionals!

Don't need to be professional/elite to be serious and committed and eager to better yourself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't need to not enjoy life to be serious and committed and eager to better yourself..

Nobody said or mentioned 'removing' or 'curbing' joy......

Joy can be quite subjective depending on the person and situation....

walshb wrote: »
    Don't need to be professional/elite to be serious and committed and eager to better yourself..

There is trying to better yourself and then realizing looking back that you didn't you better yourself as missed out on alot of time with your friends and love ones!

There is a balance and if you do everything in moderation from social life to training you be alot happier for it.

There is trying to better yourself and then realizing looking back that you didn't you better yourself as missed out on alot of time with your friends and love ones!

There is a balance and if you do everything in moderation from social life to training you be alot happier for it.

Like I said, you don't have to necessarily "suffer" or miss out to improve yourself at running. The real suffering is the training. But that's a given.

It's all about attitude. Maybe see the changes or "restrictions" as life improvements or life pick ups. You may actually get more from life and more enjoyment.

Take eating "crappy" food from time to time. Who's to say that giving it up or curbing it has to mean losing some life enjoyment?

Alcohol? Who's to say that really curbing it or giving up means a loss of life enjoyment...?

Could it not mean more happiness of enjoyment? That possible?

Back to running and wanting to perform at your best.....Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what will help you best..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Alcohol is the easiest to forego. Definitely feel sluggish even after a few beers / glasses of wine and I try to run the next day. That said, it's easier to give up when you're getting older and have no urge to binge... and it's harder to stay away from the chocolate and cakes when you're sitting on the couch on a Saturday night!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Alcohol is the easiest to forego. Definitely feel sluggish even after a few beers / glasses of wine and I try to run the next day. That said, it's easier to give up when you're getting older and have no urge to binge... and it's harder to stay away from the chocolate and cakes when you're sitting on the couch on a Saturday night!

A bottle of beer the night before is actually good before your run!

Advertisement