Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

almafi coast

• 04-11-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

any know anything about camp sites around the almafi coast area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Campsites&file=map
    If you subscribe to this site (it's free) there's an interactive map of all types of camping / stopovers for Europe. You'll have to dig a little to find it once logged in.
    There are reviews GPS coords. and contact details for all places.

I've never driven the amalfi coast ( been around lots of northern Italy in a MH) but once happened to speak to a French couple in an Aree di Sosta near Lake Maggoire who were heading home from the south. They had taken their motorhome down the coast but were not keen to repeat the experience in a large vehicle. They told tales of narrow roads high speeds and nasty accidents and seemed relieved to have made it back unscathed.
    My missus is keen to do it sometime but I think it will have to be a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Campsites&file=map
    If you subscribe to this site (it's free) there's an interactive map of all types of camping / stopovers for Europe. You'll have to dig a little to find it once logged in.
    There are reviews GPS coords. and contact details for all places.

I've never driven the amalfi coast ( been around lots of northern Italy in a MH) but once happened to speak to a French couple in an Aree di Sosta near Lake Maggoire who were heading home from the south. They had taken their motorhome down the coast but were not keen to repeat the experience in a large vehicle. They told tales of narrow roads high speeds and nasty accidents and seemed relieved to have made it back unscathed.
    My missus is keen to do it sometime but I think it will have to be a car.

Traveled from Sorrento south along the Amalfi coast on a local bus about 10 years ago.
    Quite exhilarating, particularly as we were on the seaward south in daylight hours.
    Quite narrow and twisting but good surface, then at least.
    MH considerably smaller than bus so should be fine.
    Speed of others is irrelevant as long as you do not let them intimidate you.

Good luck

pongo69 wrote: »
    any know anything about camp sites around the almafi coast area

http://www.villaggionettuno.it/it/camping

piuswal wrote: »
    Traveled from Sorrento south along the Amalfi coast on a local bus about 10 years ago.
    Quite exhilarating, particularly as we were on the seaward south in daylight hours.
    Quite narrow and twisting but good surface, then at least.
    MH considerably smaller than bus so should be fine.
    Speed of others is irrelevant as long as you do not let them intimidate you.

Good luck
    Sounds do-able so. I'd be fairly relaxed about driving in Italy. If you're going slow the traffic just flows around and past you and it's not a problem.
    I've been in a few silly places with the MH (white knuckle descent from Col. d'Allos for example) so happy to settle for a less dramatic experience these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

No idea what the Amalfi coast is like so I dropped the little streetview dude for a peek. This is literally where I landed :D A sign perhaps?

• Advertisement

Moomat wrote: »
    No idea what the Amalfi coast is like so I dropped the little streetview dude for a peek. This is literally where I landed :D A sign perhaps?
    :eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Yes, just how interesting a drive it is.

piuswal wrote: »
    Yes, just how interesting a drive it is.
    Just joking. If the coach oncoming in the picture can do it anyone can. Italy is no more difficult than anywhere else.

Just joking. If the coach oncoming in the picture can do it anyone can. Italy is no more difficult than anywhere else.

Exactly how I felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

True, it would be very manageable, perhaps at a slow speed. I was just amused that my first view of the Amalfi Coast was a policeman gesturing to stop :)

• Advertisement

Moomat wrote: »
    True, it would be very manageable, perhaps at a slow speed. I was just amused that my first view of the Amalfi Coast was a policeman gesturing to stop :)

just read in another forum that MHs are not permitted to drive down the Amalfi coast!

Can anyone confirm this?

Advertisement