Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease

Options
  • 04-11-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Moved into a house 2 months ago . Myself and my partner signed a lease in front of the landlord and his partner . She said she downloaded the lease from Google. I applied for Hap and awaiting Hap. I'm just worried that the lease is worthless and I have no rights. Landlord is registered with prtb and so is this current property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What does it say that you're worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

TheChizler wrote: »
    What does it say that you're worried about?

Because the lease wasn't signed in front of solicitor or legal person that I have no tenant rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No need for a legal person to be involved, I've never heard of that happening for a residential tenancy. Do you have a copy of it? Technically a lease doesn't need to be written it can be verbal but it is better to have a hard copy that can be referred to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

James__10 wrote: »
    Because the lease wasn't signed in front of solicitor or legal person that I have no tenant rights?

It's not necessary to sign a lease in front of a 'legal person'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

James__10 wrote: »
    Moved into a house 2 months ago . Myself and my partner signed a lease in front of the landlord and his partner . She said she downloaded the lease from Google. I applied for Hap and awaiting Hap. I'm just worried that the lease is worthless and I have no rights. Landlord is registered with prtb and so is this current property.
    I'm sure there's nothing to worry about but hap and all these council schemes allow for inspections of the property that go beyond normal standards for rented accommodation. The LL knew you'd need hap and consented?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

James- don't worry.
    Any rights you have in a formal lease- are in addition to the rights you have in law- and cannot detract from them.

If the property is registered with the RTB etc- it sounds like the landlord is legit and the letting is fully above board.

If you have specific issues- you should approach your landlord in the first instance- however, if you have issues you'd like to discuss or would appreciate another opinion on- feel free to bring them up in this forum- and we'd be more than happy to give you a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The only issue you need to be aware of is that your lease will say rent must be paid a month in advance but HAP is paid a month in arrears, you will have to pay rent up to the date your HAP payment is made, you will not be able to stop payment the month before your HAP kicks in.

Advertisement