Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What pitch is not a 'Flat Roof'?

• 04-11-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning a single storey extension to my 3 bed semi detached house. Due to the size and layout of the extension it would seem that a flat roof is the best solution. The typical pitched roofs or lean to's will impact on the second storey windows.

I spoke with my insurance company and they said that if the flat roof constitutes less than 30% of the overall roof then it should not affect my premium. Between 30-50% will raise my premium and over 50% is unlikely to be covered.

What pitch of roof is not considered to be flat? Is there a defined pitch in any guidelines? I know all flat roofs have a slight pitch for run off but at what degree can a roof no longer be defined as flat?

Thanks,
    Kev

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Generally 10 degrees. Anything below = flat. Anything above = pitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kev1234

Great thanks. So I could potentially put a 12 degree pitch on the rear of the house and as far as insurance is concerned it can be considered pitched?

I have heard that openable Velux windows should aim for a pitch of at least 18-20 degrees so would I be better with fixed skylights at a lower pitch?

Advertisement