Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue Planet II suitable for kids?

• 04-11-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

I posted in another section but was apparently the wrong place so I'll ask people's opinions here.

I was sitting there happily watching blue planet 2, spectacular as always, then all of a sudden we are shown a fish having a sex change :confused:

Of course it is mother nature, but I can't imagine anything of the sort having been shown in recent years or if permission would be given for it. Attenborough also makes very clear "the boy is now a girl". Without putting the tin foil hat on, this struck me as a blatant attempt at trying to normalise sex changes. Who were the target audience I wonder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

maybe the paranoia will get you

sex changes happen a lot in nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

1123heavy wrote: »
    Who were the target audience I wonder?

People interested in what actually happens in nature and, like, things we didn't know before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not sure if your serious about this but it's a natural cycle and part of the evolution of a species. Pretty sure in primary school we watched documentaries about this, I remember certain fish and possibly frogs from school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I suppose the target audience were people with a sense of wonder, not people who impute 'subversive' political messages from the discovery of natural phenomena..

Perhaps you should stay away from nature docs - never know when you'll see animal homosexuality or male parenthood being being promoted by Mr Attenborough's leftist agenda..

It could smash your dearly held prejudices..

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Whatever you do dont watch march of the penguins the men are the main caregivers for the young 😮...it doesnt mimic traditional values in humans at all its as if they are a completely different species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I posted in another section but was apparently the wrong place so I'll ask people's opinions here.

I was sitting there happily watching blue planet 2, spectacular as always, then all of a sudden we are shown a fish having a sex change :confused:

Of course it is mother nature, but I can't imagine anything of the sort having been shown in recent years or if permission would be given for it. Attenborough also makes very clear "the boy is now a girl". Without putting the tin foil hat on, this struck me as a blatant attempt at trying to normalise sex changes. Who were the target audience I wonder?

Oh FFS, suitable for children?, of course it bloody well is, they might learn what actually happens on the planet and their lives instead of some made up stuff like the religion they are fed in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Missed this fantastic programme when is it on?

jimmynokia wrote: »

First Episode repeated at I think 16.35 on BBC today

Second episode is at 20.00 today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

jimmynokia wrote: »

Good news - ep1 being repeated at 4.35, and ep 2 tonight at 8 (BBC NI times..)
    Stunning photography and captivating narrative as usual from the beeb..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Seriously?

So your fine with sharks tearing up the place but you draw the line at sex change?

Sorry I would have thought the 'target audience' would be anybody in 2017 who doesn't have 1940's ideals.... Actually, I guess you should just cancel your scheduled recordings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Seriously?

So your fine with sharks tearing up the place but you draw the line at sex change?

Sorry I would have thought the 'target audience' would be anybody in 2017 who doesn't have 1940's ideals.... Actually, I guess you should just cancel your scheduled recordings

I'm sorry but sharks securing their territory and eating a whale carcass is hardly going to make little johnny suddenly think "Oh, I think I'm gonna go and eat something". But hearing that he can now become a woman, combining it with the current movement in society ... well it's obvious.

It was a very clear and blatant normalisation of sex changes. Yes we are in a fast changing society, but it was more something I picked up on because I can't remember seeing the like of it before.

Nature was nature, we enjoyed the lions and the tigers, we enjoyed the jellyfish, all fascinating stuff. But "the boy is now a girl" ... are we still on nature are we? I recall as a kid we had spongebob and the like, we didn't think anything of it at the time but now looking back there are very few who wouldn't say there was something dodgy going on there and the true agenda behind it is kind of clear for all to see.

Anyway, I will be tuning in later on this evening, hopefully we will get something suitable for all!

I'm sorry but sharks securing their territory and eating a whale carcass is hardly going to make little johnny suddenly think "Oh, I think I'm gonna go and eat something". But hearing that he can now become a woman, combining it with the current movement in society ... well it's obvious.

It was a very clear and blatant normalisation of sex changes. Yes we are in a fast changing society, but it was more something I picked up on because I can't remember seeing the like of it before.

Nature was nature, we enjoyed the lions and the tigers, we enjoyed the jellyfish, all fascinating stuff. But "the boy is now a girl" ... are we still on nature are we? I recall as a kid we had spongebob and the like, we didn't think anything of it at the time but now looking back there are very few who wouldn't say there was something dodgy going on there and the true agenda behind it is kind of clear for all to see.

Anyway, I will be tuning in later on this evening, hopefully we will get something suitable for all!

Ha ha, Happy Sunday, you're mad, enjoy the documentary and hope it doesn't turn little Johnny into a girl by watching it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

These are strange times we live in...

Is it a boy fish, is it a girl fish, one thing's for sure - it's a Wrasse Fish and wouldn't be the prettiest fish in the ocean, but it is unique !

Blue-Planet-II-9.jpg

I do have serious doubts about whether permission would have been granted not too long ago. With all due respect, it is bordering on brainwashing the people.

And yes it isn't the prettiest of fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is little Johnny a fish, or will he want to change into a fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I do have serious doubts about whether permission would have been granted not too long ago. With all due respect, it is bordering on brainwashing the people.

And yes it isn't the prettiest of fish!

Permission by who? This is off the wall stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

I fear for little Johnny if he doesn't conform to all norms exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can't be a serious question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

noodler wrote: »
    Can't be a serious question

My thoughts too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

What do you tell your kids when you see a dog licking it’s balls as the last time I tried that I almost broke my back...and the dog wasn’t impressed either!

Look OP, you need to loosen that tinfoil hat you’re wearing! Not everything has an agenda!

I remember as a kid learning that male seahorses gave birth but I didn’t go out looking to get pregnant because of it...

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Permission by who? This is off the wall stuff.

Well I presume you are aware that before something is deemed as suitable for the people, it has to go through a series of checks etc, I'm saying if this was not too long ago I doubt it would have passed those checks.

I'm told now in primary school they are actually even telling the kids about sex changes etc. Now I can remember when I went to school in the early 2000s, we were never taught any of that stuff.

I have no hatred or prejudices whatsoever as many are saying, I am simply observing and noting the change in how things are being done. I doubt this would have been deemed suitable viewing when I was in school.

But what checks, and on what basis do you think it would have been banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

[...] I recall as a kid we had spongebob and the like [...]
    So you're still a child, perhaps that explains things...

If I recall correctly, a similar sex change was one of the turning points in Jurassic Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well I presume you are aware that before something is deemed as suitable for the people, it has to go through a series of checks etc, I'm saying if this was not too long ago I doubt it would have passed those checks.

I'm told now in primary school they are actually even telling the kids about sex changes etc. Now I can remember when I went to school in the early 2000s, we were never taught any of that stuff.

I have no hatred or prejudices whatsoever as many are saying, I am simply observing and noting the change in how things are being done. I doubt this would have been deemed suitable viewing when I was in school.

I'm certain that I saw documentaries about sex changing species last millennium and they are always on at prime time.

Wait till little Johnny hears about asexual reproduction, he might want to make himself pregnant.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But what checks, and on what basis do you think it would have been banned?

In the past it would no doubt have been edited on the grounds of the message it sends across. The BBC may have left it quite a bit earlier as the social changes took effect in the UK before they did in Ireland.
    So you're still a child, perhaps that explains things...

And believe me I wish I was but unfortunately not.

Ye are all getting the wrong end of the stick here. I have many friends of all persuasions, I have no prejudices at all. I'm simply noting that this perhaps may not have been deemed suitable for viewing for our younger viewers because of the message it sends across. It is a subtle one, you may not even notice it but trust me young children do, and they can have wild imaginations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm simply noting that this perhaps may not have been deemed suitable for viewing for our younger viewers because of the message it sends across. It is a subtle one, you may not even notice it but trust me young children do, and they can have wild imaginations.

Well, it will be required viewing in my house when my child is old enough (i.e. by 3/4). I’d prefer him/her to understand the world we are living in and currently destroying rather than thinking a sponge with squarepants living in a pineapple is what goes on in the ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

And so what if he does? People don't just get sex changes for the hell. If they choose to get one then it is their choice and they deserve to be accepted and respected, not quizzed about whether they wouldn't have made the decision if they had not seen a fish on TV change its gender when they were a child. If a person is that easily influenced then they should not be watching anything on television in case they become brainwashed by something actually dangerous.

In the past it would no doubt have been edited on the grounds of the message it sends across. The BBC may have left it quite a bit earlier as the social changes took effect in the UK before they did in Ireland.

Maybe you should think as to where the problem actually exists, with yourself. You're the one reading a non existent message from a natural history program.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is it a boy fish, is it a girl fish, one thing's for sure - it's a Wrasse Fish and wouldn't be the prettiest fish in the ocean, but it is unique !

Blue-Planet-II-9.jpg

Good to see Jay Leno is keeping busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can someone explain the issue with kids knowing about sex changes etc?

There are but I will be banned by the mods for even suggesting anything negative about it so I'm not going to discuss.

It was a simple observation about something that struck me as strange to see on the tele that was all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The OP apparently thinks they will want to have one as a result. I guess, kinda like the Christmas toy ads on tv, they’ll be asking Santa for a sex change now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

If you can't explain the issue without getting banned I think we know what you think of it.

I think it's you who has the issue with sex changes. Why be so scared of a fish that changes hormones from female to male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

There are but I will be banned by the mods for even suggesting anything negative about it so I'm not going to discuss.

It was a simple observation about something that struck me as strange to see on the tele that was all.

I highly doubt you'll be banned for explaining the problem with this episode. I watched it with my 2 daughters, neither now want to be boys. The oldest found it interesting and the youngest didn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I watched it with my 2 daughters, neither now want to be boys.
    Well, obviously - the fish didn't turn from girls to boys - they turned from boys to girls.
    HASHTAG SMASHTHEPATRIARCHY

afatbollix wrote: »
    If you can't explain the issue without getting banned I think we know what you think of it.

I think it's you who has the issue with sex changes. Why be so scared of a fish that changes hormones from female to male.

No I haven't got strong opinions at all, I disapprove of it, but even so much as saying the reasons why can get you banned if you're too negative. Boards are very strict on somethings and this is one of them.

The episode was fine, as I said in my first post, it was spectacular as always. This just struck me as something out of the ordinary, I couldn't recall something on TV (not a netflix series type stuff) that was so open about it. I do wonder what the purpose of it was but there you go. Many things happen in the deep blue, of all things they went straight to a fish having a sex change :confused: It's not paranoia to pick up on that.

It was a ****ing fish for jaysus sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

No I haven't got strong opinions at all, I disapprove of it, but even so much as saying the reasons why can get you banned if you're too negative. Boards are very strict on somethings and this is one of them.

The episode was fine, as I said in my first post, it was spectacular as always. This just struck me as something out of the ordinary, I couldn't recall something on TV (not a netflix series type stuff) that was so open about it. I do wonder what the purpose of it was but there you go. Many things happen in the deep blue, of all things they went straight to a fish having a sex change :confused: It's not paranoia to pick up on that.

I would have thought Jurassic Park was pretty mainstream and the whole plot very literally hinges on the fact that sex changes occur in nature.

Shooting that segment and leaving out the fact of the sex change would have been ideological editorialising. Choosing not to feature that animal because of it would have been. All Blue Planet did was show something that happened, in nature. The remit of this and the first series is partly to show stuff that's never been caputred on camera before. They didn't pass any comment on it negatively or positively. Your disapproval is what's making you see this as a thing. Relax guy. It's just a little fishy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

There are trans rights groups celebrating the fact that it was shown in the programme which is equally as dumb as the op’s opinion that it shouldn’t be shown.

They are fish. Lots of fish do it. How it has any correlation to people is beyond me. All of this has been covered over a decade ago when Nemo brought Clown fish to mainstream popularity. Lots of documentaries showed the males turning in to females.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

UsedToWait wrote:
    Good news - ep1 being repeated at 4.35, and ep 2 tonight at 8 (BBC NI times..) Stunning photography and captivating narrative as usual from the beeb..

Great that's my evening sorted cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

its all a conspiracy by the repeal the 8th crowd, isn't it.
    here's a small list of creatures that can change sex...

bearded dragons
    clown fish (remember Nemo? - OMG those Disney crowd were trying to influence kids to change sex)
    wrasses
    banana slugs
    whiptail lizards
    cuttlefish
    parrot fish
    garter snake
    blackfin goby
    frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You can argue all you want about humans having sex changes but that'd be a different thread.

Animals that change their sex aren't born into the wrong body or anything like that. It's not only perfectly normal for them but the species would have died out if they did not do this. Why there should be a parental warning before this is beyond me.

I'm assuming that this thread is actually a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think we'll leave it there, so.

Nature is wondrous. Teach your kids, don't shelter them.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement