Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microphones for Gaming

• 04-11-2017 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭

Quick question, I've a Shure SM 57 lying around from my days of playing music, just wondering is it possible to use this mic for gaming? I'd imagine I'd need an adapter of some sort. Curious to see if anyone is running a setup like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've got one of these USB mixing desks with several condenser mics plugged in for podcasting.

Something like this might do the trick. There's also a single input variant of the one I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shiminay sounds like he is in the room beside you with that type of mic.

haha, nothing more disturbing than my dulcet tones that close by :P

These are the mics I use btw, I couldn't afford Shures ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Anyone use a Blue Snowball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Anyone use a Blue Snowball?

yep, great quality sound and noise reduction if you're not using a headset

• Advertisement

How close does it have to be to get headset mic clarity? I want to use my Sennheiser HD650's instead of a dedicated headset as any set i've owned start to hurt after a while. Must have sensitive lugholes. :pac:

not that close, i've got mine sitting beside my speakers and it only rarely picks up gamesound - so, 2, 3 foot, something like that is do-able, never had the need to go any further

Used to use a Blue Snowball for a while till I upgraded to my current gear, the only reason I stopped using it is because the USB socket on the back got banjaxed. It was great for recording a few people sat around in a small room too, but it's a great mic and not terribly expensive for the quality you're getting. Different settings on it allow for a different capture area which means you could avoid picking out anything except what's directly in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Ye boys running shockmounts or small stands?

mine came with a little detachable tripod, handy yoke :)

• Advertisement

Right, yiz have sold me on the Snowball. Am gonna get one come payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just make sure you aren't running a mechanical KB right beside it. Nothing more annoying.

Yea, they come with a tripod that should service all your needs (the mic itself has a swivel where it screws into the tripod. You can get a shock mount for it, but unless you're doing something really important, do you really need a shock mount? :) Naturally, I *so* have shock mounts cause I'm that guy, but in my defence, they, and a pop shield, came with the mics as standard :P

If anyone knows how easy or difficult replacing a bandy USB "B" socket on a piece of electronics is, please let me know, I'd love to get the Snowball working again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

ED E wrote: »
    Just make sure you aren't running a mechanical KB right beside it. Nothing more annoying.

yep even with o rings it picks the clicks up I opted for a separate Mic arm that's not attached to my desk and that did the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ED E wrote: »

clack clack clack

*sniff*

clack clack clack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Just out of interest actually, do any of you who own a snowball use software for noise cancellation or just to make it sound better in general?

I used it as is, but check which setting the switch on the back of the Snowball is at, I made that mistake more than once. It dictates the "live" area of the mic and which directions it's listening from etc. You can get the manual with the details here. When recording I used Audacity (still do), otherwise it's Skype or TeamSpeak or Discord or whatever it is I'm using with whoever I'm playing with.

I do have a mechanical keyboard (cherry brown switches), so the clickety-clack gets picked up no matter what I'm using, but with the newer mic I can bring it right to my mouth and drop the gain so it's not too bad (I'm told).

Advertisement