Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gate theatre employees speak out about director Michael Colgan's behaviour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Shocking that any employee should undergo such harassment and have no recourse. You have to wonder if this is the tip of the iceberg where people with money or power feel that they can do what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

It sounds like it was a horrendous place to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We'd be naiive to think that this is limited only to the Gate within the theatre world and theatre within society. It's endemic and I'm surprised that people are so surprised to hear these stories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Caranica wrote: »
    We'd be naiive to think that this is limited only to the Gate within the theatre world and theatre within society. It's endemic and I'm surprised that people are so surprised to hear these stories

It’s not endemic. You have zero evidence for that asssertion. Colgan sounds like a horror.these people are the exception, not the norm. Exaggerating the issue belittles it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It’s not endemic. You have zero evidence for that asssertion. Colgan sounds like a horror.these people are the exception, not the norm. Exaggerating the issue belittles it.

If you read through the accounts by the women it wasn't just him who behaved inapporpriately and it seems a lot of the management at the theatre supported his behaviour also http://gracedyas.tumblr.com/post/ive-been-thinking-about-michael-colgan-a-lot

There was definitely a culture of bullying at the Gate not just Colgan sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

If those allegations are true then Michael Colgan is a disgusting old man. The only thing that cheers me up about this repulsive mess is the speed with which his celeb pals will desert him. He's ruined now and for a self confessed pompous twit like him the reputational damage will be the worst aspect of this.

On a more petty level the state of him to be making personal remarks about anyone's appearance/weight.

I hope the investigation flushes out the rest of the bullies too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You have zero evidence for your assertion

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I am a woman and barely a day goes by without misogyny and sexual harassment. Funnily enough I also have female friends and they all say the same. It's not the exception, it's the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lets see what he has to say for himself.

In 140 characters or less of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I am a woman and barely a day goes by without misogyny and sexual harassment. Funnily enough I also have female friends and they all say the same. It's not the exception, it's the rule.

Well this thread didnt take long to reach parody point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Jesus he sounds like a right piece of work! And paid 231 k a year?!fairly pissed.at the men turning a blind eye to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Nice brush, would you like tar with it?

You have zero evidence for your assertion

You’re right -I can’t prove a negative. But I didn’t make the assertion.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    If you read through the accounts by the women it wasn't just him who behaved inapporpriately and it seems a lot of the management at the theatre supported his behaviour also http://gracedyas.tumblr.com/post/ive-been-thinking-about-michael-colgan-a-lot

There was definitely a culture of bullying at the Gate not just Colgan sadly.

Yes he sounds like a right piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

smurgen wrote: »
    Jesus he sounds like a right piece of work! And paid 231 k a year?!fairly pissed.at the men turning a blind eye to it all.

Rightly or wrongly, I think lots of people - men and women - turned a blind eye to his behaviour because his threat that they'd never work in Dublin again was taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If that's true, then the bar for what it is that you and your friends feel constitutes 'misogyny' must be set quite bloody low.

‘The rule’. ALL men sexually harass, all the time? Go way outta that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

You know, drama llama remarks like that really don't help the situation.

You know, drama llama remarks like that really don't help the situation.

I agree. I hate men who do this to women. Hate them. But to say this is endemic or that all men do this is complete crap.

I'm totally shocked that he was actually hitting staff and nobody appears to have tackled him. It cant be down to illness like dementia either because it was going on for years. These Arts organisations need more scrutiny, he was on the Board that should have investigated complaints against him FFS. Heads should roll for this, that entire Board is tainted if they didn't do anything to stop him. I couldn't witness my boss hitting or sexually harassing a colleague and keep quiet, it seems as if that whole place was managed by idiots.

• Advertisement

For balance I would like to say that as a woman I do not experience daily or otherwise occurances of misogyny and sexual harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

RayM wrote: »

Rightly or wrongly, I think lots of people - men and women - turned a blind eye to his behaviour because his threat that they'd never work in Dublin again was taken seriously.

You're right but i was thinking of one of the stories in one of the link where he smacked an employee on the arse hard in front of a room of men,then he grabbed her wrist and she tried to leave.the woman said all the men looking off in different directions.i'd like to think i would have acted differently in that situation.

I'm taking a large pinch of salt with everything that I hear about through social or print media that on face value should be going through either a workplace relations process or criminal/civil legal proceedings

Weinstein hasn't changed that tbh.

You're right but i was thinking of one of the stories in one of the link where he smacked an employee on the arse hard in front of a room of men,then he grabbed her wrist and she tried to leave.the woman said all the men looking off in different directions.i'd like to think i would have acted differently in that situation.

If your livelihood depends on not seeing something, it can be easy to not see it. They were in an awful position, and while I like to think I'd be the one to stand up, I might be cowardly too if it meant losing everything.

If more than one stood up, it'd be easier. As we see from the tsunami of allegations tumbling out of Weinsteins alleged victims, there's safety in numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I'm taking a large pinch of salt with everything that I hear about through social or print media that on face value should be going through either a workplace relations process or criminal/civil legal proceedings

Weinstein hasn't changed that tbh.

A single instance, then I’d agree with you. But the likes of the Gate etc. seems to have many victims. No pinch of salt needed.

Candie wrote: »
    If your livelihood depends on not seeing something, it can be easy to not see it. They were in an awful position, and while I like to think I'd be the one to stand up, I might be cowardly too if it meant losing everything.

If more than one stood up, it'd be easier. As we see from the tsunami of allegations tumbling out of Weinsteins alleged victims, there's safety in numbers.

See I agree with your point for the more junior members of staff-the women he was allegedly harassing, hitting and humiliating ritually. But I cant understand how any member of the management team could justify (to themselves)keeping quiet, morally or legally. I hope those women sue the organisation successfully, money is the only thing that will make boards of management take action against this type of crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Places like the Gate are their own little (very little) world and the big beast in there will always have a free run if he chooses to exploit his power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Candie wrote: »

I agree with you, you know something is wrong but it's easier not to see it.

Wish I had been braver in the past to stand up to things that I knew were wrong.

currants wrote: »
    See I agree with your point for the more junior members of staff-the women he was allegedly harassing, hitting and humiliating ritually. But I cant understand how any member of the management team could justify (to themselves)keeping quiet, morally or legally. I hope those women sue the organisation successfully, money is the only thing that will make boards of management take action against this type of crime.

Well it's very likely a man that boorish and obnoxious bullied everyone in his sphere, although I doubt the men were sexually harassed it's likely they were cowed by the guy too. They might have been convinced they'd lose their jobs and never work in that area again.

It's easy to judge them for not acting, and to be honest I don't really understand it because it was more than one or two, it was a good few. But we don't know the extent of the guys temper, threats, controlling and bullying.

If they - or anyone - weren't worried about their jobs and just thought it was something to be genuinely laughed off, then there's no excuse for them whatsoever and they should examine their consciences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This piece of crap needs to be arrested, hes actually breaking the law. So many people forget bullying is against the LAW. He needs to be arrested and if found guilty, then jailed. Makes me sick that so many cnuts out there think they can bully others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

So many people forget bullying is against the LAW.

I did not know this. Bullies are everywhere, but female bullies are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Aineoil wrote: »
    I did not know this. Bullies are everywhere, but female bullies are the worst.
    An unusual thing to say in a thread about a male alleged bully (and the alleged behaviour is pretty shocking).

In my opinion, gender doesn't make a person a worse bully. Male and female bullies may use different "techniques" but I don't think one sex is worse for it than the other sex. Bullies are bullies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-council-announces-spending-for-2016-1.2484751

€860,000 Arts Council Funding for the Gate in 2016. The same in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It'd be nice if there were recordings

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-council-announces-spending-for-2016-1.2484751

€860,000 Arts Council Funding for the Gate in 2016. The same in 2015.

This is what I cant figure out, are there no corporate governance models for Arts Organisations?
    How did he and the rest of management get away with (not) running the place properly for so long? There are allegations about him going back 30 years.
    After their defence of O'Searcaigh I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at anything the Arts Council do but there should have been proper HR systems in place to prevent this type of scandal and any organisation that can't demonstrate they have systems in place to comply with employment legislation shouldn't receive any state funding. I hope this blows the lid off the whole Arts scene and a proper clean out happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This piece of crap needs to be arrested, hes actually breaking the law. So many people forget bullying is against the LAW. He needs to be arrested and if found guilty, then jailed. Makes me sick that so many cnuts out there think they can bully others.

Could you point me in the direction (or provide a link) to the legislation that clearly states bullying is illegal and has a penalty of imprisonment?

I didn't know it existed, I thought it was more a to do with taking Civil cases and/or unfair dismissal cases.

This is in no way defending Colgan. It's just that sometimes I see 'it's the law" but I've never heard of such a law.

*not talking about cyber-bullying but bullying in the work place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

It's astonishing so many kept quiet. In saying that he was the ultimate bully: gathering personal information and then using it against his employees, insinuating they will never work in the industry again (because he had, in his eyes, so much power). To treat any woman this way is intolerable, but to do it to young, naive women desperate to climb the ladder and boost their professional careers.... He truly is a vile and disgusting specimen of a man.

This appears to be a long time coming. I plan to watch his downfall with absolute delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It's astonishing so many kept quiet.

They didn't keep quiet some confronted him and then went to management, one even sought legal advice and they were treated with disdain.

Grace Dyas who broke the story said that when she approached the newspapers they wouldn't go forward with it until she had other women come forward and that is why she posted her own experience initially on her blog because the journalists wouldn't go near it. He is an absolute disgusting human being and I hope he is shunned going forward and has speaking invitations revoked. They should take a case against the theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's astonishing so many kept quiet.

They didn't keep quiet some confronted him and then went to management, one even sought legal advice and they were treated with disdain.

Grace Dyas who broke the story said that when she approached the newspapers they wouldn't go forward with it until she had other women come forward and that is why she posted her own experience initially on her blog because the journalists wouldn't go near it. He is an absolute disgusting human being and I hope he is shunned going forward and has speaking invitations revoked. They should take a case against the theatre.

I'm referring to those that were aware of his behaviour, not those abused. I am aware Grace broke the story, I have been watching it closely since it broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,249 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why is it that so many of these people are of the artistic, film making, theatre vibe? These would generally be tolerant progressive work settings.

• Advertisement

Full of individuals told from a very early age that everything they did or wanted to do was wonderful and rules are for other, less gifted mugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,249 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Possibly, I think the fact that they think of themselves as 'Artists' and 'Creators' that normal social rules or even the law of the land don't apply to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

markodaly wrote: »
    Why is it that so many of these people are of the artistic, film making, theatre vibe? These would generally be tolerant progressive work settings.

It would be the same for surgeons and chefs. Legal profession would have stories to tell. Basically anywhere where there is hierarchy and gatekeepers, and you can "get a reputation".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

markodaly wrote: »

I wonder about this also.

Perhaps,as with the Hollywood revelations,we will be forced to recognize what lies behind the Artistic,Film Making,Theatrical vibe itself.

It's entire raison d'etre lies in it's main movers being allowed to craft an entire parallel universe of Human Nature,one which is perhaps nowhere near the reality of TRUE Human Nature.

Could it be,as unpalatable as it is,that basic Human Nature actually is more savage,earthy,and essentially based upon dominance,be that Sexual,Political,Physical or whatever ?

Hollywood has since it's inception allowed the World's peoples to view,and then attempt to inhabit this strange place,where the "Good Guys" always won out,and lived happily,ever after.

When one thinks of it,this latest series of incredible events,is now only possible due to further developments in communications,namely Social Media and Instant Messaging,all of which,for the moment,remain uncontrolled and therefore capable of enabling vast Social Movements of themselves.

What,one wonders,would the Romans have made of it all ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Maybe it is because people in arts are not afraid of convention, and are not afraid to speak out and are therefore the first?

I have no doubt there will be more of this in every institution/profession in the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Maybe it is because people in arts are not afraid of convention, and are not afraid to speak out and are therefore the first?

I have no doubt there will be more of this in every institution/profession in the land.

We used to blindly accept that you can't get results without certain level of bullying. Some of these beliefs have been challenged and they disappeared, but others are firmly in place.

Teachers can't teach without corporal punishment.
    Executives can't work if they don't keep women down in subservient roles.
    Chefs can't cook without berating their staff and making them work 20h shifts.
    Directors can't direct without "moulding" (breaking) their actors.

We are going through another stage of the dismantling process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

humberklog wrote: »
    Could you point me in the direction (or provide a link) to the legislation that clearly states bullying is illegal and has a penalty of imprisonment?

I didn't know it existed, I thought it was more a to do with taking Civil cases and/or unfair dismissal cases.

This is in no way defending Colgan. It's just that sometimes I see 'it's the law" but I've never heard of such a law.

*not talking about cyber-bullying but bullying in the work place.

Scroll to the duties of the employer. If bullying is occurring, and its pretty well defined, the company has breached their duty by not dealing with it. Every worker in Ireland is entitled to a bully and harassment free workplace. Yes, its up to you as an employee to invoke various grievance procedures etc but if employers are found to have breached the bullying law, heavy penalties follow and there are plenty of cases where people have won tribunal cases.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Workplace_Health/Bullying_at_Work/#Bullying-aHealthandSafetyissue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

‘The rule’. ALL men sexually harass, all the time? Go way outta that.

To be fair, she said absolutely nothing like that. You've conflated "constant harassment" with "all men harass". When she didn't say the latter or anything even implying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

currants wrote: »
    See I agree with your point for the more junior members of staff-the women he was allegedly harassing, hitting and humiliating ritually. But I cant understand how any member of the management team could justify (to themselves)keeping quiet, morally or legally.
    It's a massive decision for senior people to speak out about this too. They have family & children to support. They have a huge circle of friends involved in the industry.

By speaking out, you put all of that at risk. You might be believed, you might achieve justice and make the world better.
    Or you might be shunned, lose your livelihood and your friends and have to start a new career in your fifties while struggling to make mortgage payments. And all you've done by speaking out is ruined your life and given more power to the bullies.

It's really not a simple thing. What it requires is a more serious stance on whistleblowing. Perhaps a national authority that will take any complaint from anyone anonymously and investigate it. At least then people feel empowered to make a complaint where it doesn't really matter if the person who you complain to, believes you. If they don't believe you, you lose nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Can't believe that Colgan was also on the board of the Gate Theatre. That means he saw all the complaints made about him and got to be part of the discussions about the complaints. :eek:

I know someone who worked in that administrative office a few years back. I thought she liked the job so was surprised when she left abruptly. Making more sense now though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement