Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gate theatre employees speak out about director Michael Colgan's behaviour

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Roll up for the Colgan statement bingo card.
    If anyone was offended ....
    Not my intention to hurt.....
    In the stressful atmosphere of live theatre I may have got carried away by my pursuit of excellence...
    Utmost respect for women...

bonus points for
    as a father myself ......

That's if he hasn't actually combusted in narcissistic rage first.

I've listened to the Arts Council try to distance themselves from this on the radio this morning whilst admitting they were aware of a problem with Colgan and his verbal abuse. So much so that they warned their own staff not to meet with him without senior management present since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 iodd7

Yes, bet he draws on his 'larger than life' persona....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The Arts Council commissioned a report into the Gate

Irish Times: Gate Theatre run like ‘family business’, 2016 report claimed

• Registered Users Posts: 19 iodd7

Wonder if that report was one of the reasons for MC stepping down. As the main funder, the AC has the right to ask these questions, but note that HR issues were an aspect of the report - the AC could stipulate in future that every organisation they fund has clear anti-bullying and harrassment policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

iodd7 wrote: »
    Wonder if that report was one of the reasons for MC stepping down. As the main funder, the AC has the right to ask these questions, but note that HR issues were an aspect of the report - the AC could stipulate in future that every organisation they fund has clear anti-bullying and harrassment policies.

When he was on pat kenny on newstalk back when he was about to retire in March he said something along the lines of "oh well I don't really want to retire..." and left it hanging.

Then Michael Gambon said something like "I can't get to the bottom of why you are retiring, something suspicious is going on I think...".

It was curious at the time but lot clearer now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

No statement yet. What's the hold-up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm thinking Michael might be waiting in hope that a brighter star might get named and take the heat of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1112/919410-colgan/

I'm sorry with a 'but'.

"had been moments where, through misjudged behavior, he had caused upset to some co-workers." "he had sacrificed proper conduct for a punchline"

He went with the "it was only banter" approach in the end.

valoren wrote: »

I'm sorry with a 'but'.

"had been moments where, through misjudged behavior, he had caused upset to some co-workers." "he had sacrificed proper conduct for a punchline"

What a horribly vile man he is. Took him almost a week to come up with that. Creep.

I'm sorry with a 'but'.

He’s going to get slated for that response

• Advertisement

He’s going to get slated for that response

There was no response he wouldn't get slated for. Seven women, I think, came forward, so he couldn't play this down. You can hear the vitriol in his post, "how dare anyone question MEEEE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm thinking Michael might be waiting in hope that a brighter star might get named and take the heat of him.

;)

"He said he failed to see and should have "respected the difference" between friends and employees."

Why? does he slap his friends on the ass as well? And all the comments he made.

It's sexual harassment which ever way you slice it Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

cloudatlas wrote: »
    "He said he failed to see and should have "respected the difference" between friends and employees."

Why? does he slap his friends on the ass as well? And all the comments he made.

It's sexual harassment which ever way you slice it Michael.
    you can bet he didn't treat his esteemed playwright and famous actor friends that way

I'm sorry with a 'but'.

It's almost as though it's not his fault that lesser people don't understand his sense of humor. Poor guy, being misunderstood like that. Must be hard for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

There was no response he wouldn't get slated for. Seven women, I think, came forward, so he couldn't play this down. You can hear the vitriol in his post, "how dare anyone question MEEEE"
    Candie wrote: »
    It's almost as though it's not his fault that lesser people don't understand his sense of humor. Poor guy, being misunderstood like that. Must be hard for him.

while I fully agree with you on his behaviour and attitude.

but in practical terms , short of ritual suicide his apology , no matter how genuine was going to be slammed and sure enough one of o his accusers has slammed it in the media.

he was only adding fuel to the fire by apologising...should have said f- all in my opinion.

He is in a hole (righly so) but was never going to climb out of it.
    should have said nothing and carried on being retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yamanoto wrote: »

That went right over my head. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

arayess wrote: »
    while I fully agree with you on his behaviour and attitude.

but in practical terms , short of ritual suicide his apology , no matter how genuine was going to be slammed and sure enough one of o his accusers has slammed it in the media.

he was only adding fuel to the fire by apologising...should have said f- all in my opinion.

He is in a hole (righly so) but was never going to climb out of it.
    should have said nothing and carried on being retired.

If he said "I apologise and I will cooperate with the independent enquiry" I doubt it would be slammed by anyone.

Instead he's trying to reframe straight up bullying and harassment as un-PC games with friends, of course there will be a reaction.

Attempting to minimize his behavior was never going to work. He has been foolish thinking it would wash. No one thinks it was harmless banter, no matter how much he tries to dress it up that way.

He's truly disgusting. I can just picture that big, sweaty red face leering over the women. He's an old pervert. Having held job of privilege doesn't change that fact

Grace Dyas' thoughtful response to Michael's interview -

http://gracedyas.tumblr.com/post/167422301499/open-the-gate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Total non-apology there from Colgan, but sure expect nothing from a pig but a grunt. What a laugh like, to imply that these women simply didn't "get the joke" or that sexual harassment veering from completely inappropriate crude comments right down to inappropriate touching is simply a matter of "not being politically correct".

He doesn't get it, he'll never get it and it's damn bloody well he's retired from the Theatre and will be investigated because as long as he lives he'll think he's grand if a bit "tell it like it is" and has been the victim of a gross misjustice. Fcuking pleb.

Bambi985 wrote: »

He doesn't get it, he'll never get it and it's damn bloody well he's retired from the Theatre and will be investigated because as long as he lives he'll think he's grand if a bit "tell it like it is" and has been the victim of a gross misjustice. Fcuking pleb.

I think he does get it. He does know touching, bullying and making sexual innuendo is not acceptable. I think he just didn't care. He was so far up his own arse about who he was and the post he held that he felt entitled to behave however he wanted.

I don't believe for a second he didn't know his outrageous behaviour was wrong. He enjoyed belittling women and is clearly a mysoginist.

Also, his salary was truly outrageous. It only fuelled his grandiose opinion of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The fact that he could word the narrative of his apology how he wanted shows his oblivious, privileged position. He was given an article in a Sunday newspaper to do so. Tone deaf.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    The fact that he could word the narrative of his apology how he wanted shows his oblivious, privileged position. He was given an article in a Sunday newspaper to do so. Tone deaf.

Yes that in itself was baffling giving him free reign there, no hard questions asked but I suppose they gave him enough rope to hang himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It nicely illustrates the "old boys club" world that these people inhabit.

A friend at a national paper obviously thought it would be appropriate to give Michael a private channel with which to address the allegations, uninterrupted and unquestioned.

And the board at the gate believes it appropriate that they would personally conduct a private enquiry into a former member and friend.

These people absolutely do not understand the concept of transparency and impartiality.

It's just like the church being allowed to carry out its own "investigations" into child sex abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"he had sacrificed proper conduct for a punchline"

Unbelievable how David Brent he's coming across. That could have been a classic line from The Office, if Brent was puffing himself up trying to defend himself at some employment tribunal.:P

It's interesting how well Grace Dyas is coming across in the press. So dignified and eloquent. I don't imagine that Michael ever thought she and the other women would be responsible for publicly destroying him.

I am so pleased he has been exposed like this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in his house. The absolute rage he must be feeling within lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

It's interesting how well Grace Dyas is coming across in the press. So dignified and eloquent. I don't imagine that Michael ever thought she and the other women would be responsible for publicly destroying him.

I am so pleased he has been exposed like this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in his house. The absolute rage he must be feeling within lol

Judging by the photo used in the 'apology' I'd say he's feeling "contemplative", "studious", "introspective".

The arrogance to actually use such a photo like that (albeit from the time he was at the Gate) tells you all you need to know about this guy. If anything I'd say he loved using such a photo like that to make another dig at the people he abused particularly considering his insult of an apology.

Judging by the photo used in the 'apology' I'd say he's feeling "contemplative", "studious", "introspective".

The arrogance to actually using such a photo like that (albeit from the time he was at the Gate) tells you all you need to know about this guy. If anything I'd say he loved using such a photo like that to make another dig at the people he abused particularly considering his insult of an apology.

I think that photo is how he wants to be remembered.he has a woeful temper, it appears, over relatively minor things. This is a whole new level.

Imagine being called to task by the very people you bullied. It's real poetic justice. Well done to all those that came forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Mod-Redacted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

I think that photo is how he wants to be remembered.he has a woeful temper, it appears, over relatively minor things. This is a whole new level.

Imagine being called to task by the very people you bullied. It's real poetic justice. Well done to all those that came forward.

I'd say poor Michael's dreams of a bronze bust outside The Gate and 'Michael Colgan Memorial Bursary' are hurtling towards the sewer - good enough for the bully.

optogirl wrote: »
    I'd say poor Michael's dreams of a bronze bust outside The Gate and 'Michael Colgan Memorial Bursary' are hurtling towards the sewer - good enough for the bully.

He'll be having a Henry Seller's style break down any moment now 'I made the Gate!" etc.,

cloudatlas wrote: »
    He'll be having a Henry Seller's style break down any moment now 'I made the Gate!" etc.,

How the mighty fall!

Advertisement