Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance question

Options
  • 04-11-2017 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Have my avensis insured and was driving the wifes car thats nct'd and taxed. Her cars not insured shes not driving right now. On my insurance cert says I can drive other cars on third party with permission. BUT the ban gard said shes checking up if its legit cause she thinks my wifes car needs insurance for open drive to work.. my policy says me the full license holder can drive other motor cars that i dont own or lease.

Reading my policy doesnt say other other cars need insurance , opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have an insurable interest in your spouses vehicle so you most likely aren't insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The risk to insurance companies is that you are driving the wife's car, while she is driving yours and there are two vehicles on the road on one policy, and your spouse is in a special position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭passatman86

The risk to insurance companies is that you are driving the wife's car, while she is driving yours and there are two vehicles on the road on one policy, and your spouse is in a special position.

Its my own policy. No one else on it.
    Wife doesnt drive anything.
    I drove her uninsured car thats taxed and nct'd useing my 3rd party extension.
    Gard is questioning the car needs insurance for 3rd party extension. Gard following it up.
    But on my policy it says with permission I can drive other cars
    I will also ring my insurance company Monday to confirm.

Opinions please

• Registered Users Posts: 82,787 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But on my policy it says with permission I can drive other cars

Yes but it will usually state cars you don't own. Being married ownership is likely to be perceived as joint ownership and so you wouldn't be covered. Call your insurer to confirm.

Yes but it will usually state cars you don't own. Being married ownership is likely to be perceived as joint ownership and so you wouldn't be covered. Call your insurer to confirm.

My policy doesnt say I own my wifes car , this is confusing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

My policy specifically says I can drive other cars but not my spouses car. Im on her policy anyway as a named driver so I'm covered for comprehensive then. Driving someone else's car on my insurance would only cover me third party.

Very confusing my policy doesn't mention a spouse , partner , wife
    Just cars I dont own. I cant understand is it a loophole , am I in the wrong , am I ok
    Mine says " the insured holding a full license may also drive , with permission of the vehicle owner , any private motor car that they do not own and have not hired or leased , subject to the terms and conditions of the policy"

I wouldnt drive it unless I thought 3rd party covered me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Very confusing my policy doesn't mention a spouse , partner , wife
    Just cars I dont own. I cant understand is it a loophole , am I in the wrong , am I ok
    Mine says " the insured holding a full license may also drive , with permission of the vehicle owner , any private motor car that they do not own and have not hired or leased , subject to the terms and conditions of the policy"

I wouldnt drive it unless I thought 3rd party covered me

Just because you are married does not mean you own the car under the road traffic act. You are not liable for it if it was involved in a hit and run, you are not the registered owner. You do not receive fines from tolls, cameras etc.

If your insurance cert states you are insured to drive any other car as long as you do not own it ( ie registered in your name) and there is no small print in your policy document about it being a spouses car) than you are covered to drive her car.

You have complied with the law, you have an insurance policy in force. The car does not have to be insured on some other policy unless it specifically states that in your policy)

subject to the terms and conditions of the policy"

Read your policy document, its normally a book that comes with your cert and tell us what it says about other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

We are with Aviva. When I renewed I asked them about driving other cars. I will be covered for driving other cars as long as the other car is also insured. That is the Aviva position. Other insurance companies may have a different position.
    Not sure what the position is regarding driving a spouse's uninsured car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Usually the other car has to be owned and insured by someone else. I've never heard it another way. What insurance company are you with? They generally have policy booklets online.

• Advertisement

Cross insurance broker with liberty insurance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Wheety wrote: »
    Usually the other car has to be owned and insured by someone else. I've never heard it another way. What insurance company are you with? They generally have policy booklets online.

How are you supposed to verify this?

Insurance companies will rarely tell Gardai from the roadside if people are insured.

Never mind Joe Soap ringing up at 2am to find out if a car is properly insured or not after he was nominated designated driver for a load of drunks.

Im sorry but once you have a policy in force that covers you to drive other cars as it says on your cert and your policy document, you are insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I was informed before ( I think by RSA) that it doesn’t cover cars of people at the same address.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Cross insurance broker with liberty insurance

Liberty is alright it states in their documents that the car you are driving does not have to be insured so you are perfectly right to be driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

A few things OP

Firstly, the Gardai, in my experience know fcuk all about insurance. Your policy wording is king in this instance as there are variations in the driving of other cars extension. Most state that the car must not belong to you. Some say the car must not be owned by you or your spouse and some policies add the condition that the other car must have it's own policy (eg Aviva

Read the policy in conjunction with your cert

This is the from the Liberty policy Booklet
    Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we
    will also cover you, the policyholder, for
    your liability to other people while you are
    driving any other private motor car which
    you do not own or have not hired under a
    hire-purchase or lease agreement, as long
    as:
    1. the vehicle is not owned by your
    employer or hired to them under a
    hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2. you currently hold a full European
    Union (EU) licence;
    3. the use of the vehicle is covered in the
    certificate of insurance;
    4. cover is not provided by any other
    insurance;
    5. you have the owner’s permission to
    drive the vehicle;
    6. the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition;
    and
    7. you still have the insured vehicle and it
    has not been damaged beyond
    cost-effective repair.
    This extension applies while being driven
    within the territorial limits and only to
    private passenger vehicles. It does not
    include:
    • vans;
    • car-vans;
    • jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the
    back; or
    • vans adapted to carry passengers.

Mf310 wrote: »
    Liberty is alright it states in their documents that the car you are driving does not have to be insured so you are perfectly right to be driving

Thats one relief , now to confirm spouse partner wife.. my actual insurance cert paper - the disc is on says.... the insured holding a full license may also drive , with permission of the vehicle owner , any private motor car that they do not own and have not hired or leased , subject to the terms and conditions of the policy... cant see spouse partner

Thanks for all replies guys
    Edit @wheety thanks for that .. im trying to figure out spouse partner now

Does your wife's car have a current NCT?. One of the conditions there with Liberty is that it must be roadworthy

Does your wife's car have a current NCT?. One of the conditions there with Liberty is that it must be roadworthy

Yes nct for 5 months
    Tax until end of month

Thats one relief , now to confirm spouse partner wife.. my actual insurance cert paper - the disc is on says.... the insured holding a full license may also drive , with permission of the vehicle owner , any private motor car that they do not own and have not hired or leased , subject to the terms and conditions of the policy... cant see spouse partner

Thanks for all replies guys
    Edit @wheety thanks for that .. im trying to figure out spouse partner now

Think you'll be ok, this has a little bit more info

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/blog/am-i-insured-to-drive-other-vehicles/

Says this:
    If these criteria have been met, you’re now free to hop in to your friend/neighbour/mum’s car and drive wherever you need to go.

Which still doesn't clarify wife, but I reckon they'd mention it if it was excluded.

• Advertisement

Think you'll be ok, this has a little bit more info

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/blog/am-i-insured-to-drive-other-vehicles/

Says this:
    If these criteria have been met, you’re now free to hop in to your friend/neighbour/mum’s car and drive wherever you need to go.

Which still doesn't clarify wife, but I reckon they'd mention it if it was excluded.

Appreciate the effort to help. Thanks..
    When I got my policy months ago I specifically asked do I have 3rd party extension... who was to know about spouse partner rule I cant see it mentioned.. fairly worrying

Yes nct for 5 months Tax until end of month

Good to go then from what I see. Maybe she didn't like you calling her a ban garda, they don't like that anymore :)

Good to go then from what I see. Maybe she didn't like you calling her a ban garda, they don't like that anymore :)
    See what you mean ,
    but no I never said that. Just used guard
    Im allways yes sir , no sir

Maybe she didn't like you calling her 'sir' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Its my own policy. No one else on it. Wife doesnt drive anything. I drove her uninsured car thats taxed and nct'd useing my 3rd party extension. Gard is questioning the car needs insurance for 3rd party extension. Gard following it up. But on my policy it says with permission I can drive other cars I will also ring my insurance company Monday to confirm.

I always thought that when your policy covers you to drive other cars then the car you are driving must be insured. In other words if the car itself has no insurance then your policy does not cover it?

Maybe she didn't like you calling her 'sir' :D

See the irony
    Was reading back my post wondering will any one pick up on it ha ha
    Very worrying guys., I have no points on my license and 7 years no claims so if this messed it all up id be annoyed with myself.. really hoping I have the right answers
    Appreciate the replies

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I always thought that when your policy covers you to drive other cars then the car you are driving must be insured. In other words if the car itself has no insurance then your policy does not cover it?

That will be the norm shortly because of widespread abuse of the extension

Mf310 wrote: »

Just wondering what sentence relates to that
    Thanks for the help , just tyring to clarify the wording

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Appreciate the effort to help. Thanks..
    When I got my policy months ago I specifically asked do I have 3rd party extension... who was to know about spouse partner rule I cant see it mentioned.. fairly worrying

It's not mentioned because it doesn't need to be, it says a vehicle you don't own. If I ring an insurance company and ask to take out a policy on Mrs Passatman86's car I'll get a refusal as I've no insurable interest, if you ring up you will get a policy.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's not mentioned because it doesn't need to be, it says a vehicle you don't own. If I ring an insurance company and ask to take out a policy on Mrs Passatman86's car I'll get a refusal as I've no insurable interest, if you ring up you will get a policy.

Sorry to ask this but can you dumb it down for me. Is this about the spouse partner rule

Advertisement