Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build: Advice required.

Options
  • 04-11-2017 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm building a second PC and would appreciate some advice or recommendations on component selection.
    I have some parts from another PC that can be used in this one.

Requirements:

PC will be solely used for gaming.

I will need a motherboard, CPU & Memory. Don't mind if its AMD or Intel. It
    needs to be either air cooled or a good quality AIO liquid cooler. I'd like to be able to overclock also. Since the gaming will be done with headphones, silent operation isn't essential although Id like it be as quiet as budget allows. Custom water-cooling is not an option.

I have a 1440p gsync monitor than I can use so for gaming I'd like to be able to achieve anything between 60-144 fps in most games high settings if possible.

Graphics card: I have a 980ti from an old water cooled machine than I can use and reattach the aircooler to it. However, last time I used this it was giving me trouble with hard crashing of the machine so a replacement might be necessary.

Case: I have a Corsair 900D spare so plenty of room for installation, fans and keeping things cool.

SSD's/Storage: I have a few SSDs with Windows 10 install so no new SSD's necessary.

Fans: I have several spare Corsair SP120 fans but willing to get better performing fans if budget allows.

PSU: Have a Corsair 1200 from another machine.

Periperals: I already have keyboard, mouse etc.

Networking: Using homeplugs.

Aesthetics are not important for this build, just needs to be functional.

Budget is approx 1000Euro. Would rather not go above this if possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£136.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£50.38 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Killer SLI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£120.89 @ Eclipse Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£135.51 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card (£438.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Corsair - 900D ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For €0.00)
    Power Supply: Corsair - Professional Gold 1200W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For €0.00)
    Total: £881.76
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-05 14:13 GMT+0000

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Any reason why one would choose a X370 board over an B350? I kinda had my eye on the Asus Strix B350-F.
    I'll only ever be running a single GPU. For overclocking, I'd be fine with a 3.9GHz on air but do not care about benchmarking. As long as its a stable overclock I'd be fine with that.
    I'll also be able to budget for one of the Zotac Amp Extreme GPUs (1070ti or 1080) so I may have look at MB's that have reinforced PCI-E slots. As I said above, the main goal of this build is to be able to sustain a 60-144fps in games at 1440p keeping things as quiet as possible on air. I may be upgrading to Ultrawide early in the new year so I need to keep that in mind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

viperirl wrote: »
    Any reason why one would choose a X370 board over an B350? I kinda had my eye on the Asus Strix B350-F.
    I'll only ever be running a single GPU. For overclocking, I'd be fine with a 3.9GHz on air but do not care about benchmarking. As long as its a stable overclock I'd be fine with that.
    I'll also be able to budget for one of the Zotac Amp Extreme GPUs (1070ti or 1080) so I may have look at MB's that have reinforced PCI-E slots. As I said above, the main goal of this build is to be able to sustain a 60-144fps in games at 1440p keeping things as quiet as possible on air. I may be upgrading to Ultrawide early in the new year so I need to keep that in mind too.
    VRM quality, I've also read that X370 is slightly more stable for RAM overclocking.
    Also SLI support if that matters to you.

For B350, MSI Gaming Pro Carbon ATX is recommended, as well as ASRock Pro4 / Fatality K4, Asus Prime Plus.

Advertisement