Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Reserve 26 Y/O Single Malt Whiskey - Aldi - 49.99€

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Interesting article on it here. He edits it to discount the Teeling theory

http://spiritedmatters.com/2017/11/aldi-irish-26-single-malt-whiskey/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

agh raging. I missed this. if anyone knows of a bottle in dublin or even galway let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

agh raging. I missed this. if anyone knows of a bottle in dublin or even galway let me know.

Also still holding out hope in Galway - only one I was able to check was Aldi on Headford Rd. and they didn't have any, yer man said it was gone in no time and he had even started taking a list of names, but gave up as there was too much interest and not enough supply. Had also checked in Castlebar and he seemed to be saying they hadn't gotten it in at all......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

tobdom wrote: »
    Also still holding out hope in Galway - only one I was able to check was Aldi on Headford Rd. and they didn't have any, yer man said it was gone in no time and he had even started taking a list of names, but gave up as there was too much interest and not enough supply. Had also checked in Castlebar and he seemed to be saying they hadn't gotten it in at all......

They still had at least 2 bottles in Knocknacarra yesterday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Check your local stores...a new delivery came into a lot of them today... Tralee had another 10 bottles on the shelf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Okay so I got two bottles. The presentation of the bottle is really nice I like the old style early 1900 kind of design.

The nose is lovely.

Taste wise. Hint of oilyness, brief hit of spice, vegetal oakyness, bit of vanilla, short finish, after a few sips a kind of a roasted chestnut flavour is left in the mouth. I would probably leave this for a few minutes in the glass. Vanilla/oak.

As others have said, it's smooth, no burn, each flavour raises it's head for an almost intangible moment, nothing really dominates maybe the oak if I had to say. Overall, I would say it is an interesting one to try and a bit out of the ordinary in terms of other standards on the market. A good departure from the norm

I think I will be leaving the second bottle as a wee investment to sell on in a few years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

cloudatlas wrote: »
    O

The nose is lovely.

I'm not sure if been at the tail end of a cold or what but I get very little on the nose at all

limnam wrote: »
    I'm not sure if been at the tail end of a cold or what but I get very little on the nose at all

Vanilla, red fruits smells inviting.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Vanilla, red fruits smells inviting.

Interesting.

I'm going to wait till the cold fully passes to try it again.

I'm not finding much to enjoy about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Interesting.

I don't enjoy colds either! :D

• Advertisement

Interesting.

A cold would definitely colour your experience of it but it is a slightly difficult one but it's good to try something new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Irish whisky can be spelled with or without the e.
    Adding the e was originally just a Dublin whisky thing.
    Paddy, for example, had no e up until relatively recently, afaik.

I was taking the proverbial with a play on words btw ;)

You may have noticed that I left the 'whisky' detailed as bad without an 'e'.

That said I do believe that Ireland does produce some if the best whiskey in the world ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Passing thru Tipperary town today - saw about eight bottles on the shelf ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭tphase

8 bottles in Clifden last night, none today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

2 bottles left in BLACKPOOL, CORK at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

None in Ashbourne again today.

Does anyone know if they have it in Navan?

None in Ashbourne again today.

Does anyone know if they have it in Navan?

You can call them and ask

They'll also put it away for you if you ask

You can call them and ask

They'll also put it away for you if you ask

Seems i missed the boat again, rang up and was told there was two in stock but none there when i got there and asked.

Could this the kind of thing where 'when it's gone, it's gone', or on the off chance they are releasing it in batches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭tphase

I suspect this will be 'when it's gone, it's gone'

They will ring around other stores and try to get some in if you ask (at least they offered this to me in Clifden). Worth a shot

There's more in the Tralee store... think it'll keep trickling out for another week or so....then it's probably gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

I picked up two in Letterkenny last night. There was one remaining in each Aldi there, i was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

If anybody is still looking for this in Galway, there were 6 bottles in the Westside Aldi at 2pm today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

If anybody is still looking for this in Galway, there were 6 bottles in the Westside Aldi at 2pm today.

hoping to get one of these

edit: got the last bottle. Lucky I called to ask them to reserve it. It was sitting pretty on a till waiting to be collected. Cashier said loads of people came in eyeing it up and asking about it.

hope its good now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

hoping to get one of these

edit: got the last bottle. Lucky I called to ask them to reserve it. It was sitting pretty on a till waiting to be collected. Cashier said loads of people came in eyeing it up and asking about it.

hope its good now :D

Thanks Cheshire Cat I picked up 2 bottles.

There were 5 left when I got them at about 6:30

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Does anyone have any knowledge of any of this left anywhere at all?? I've been told there is more of it yet to be distributed, though no set date or location available....

Does anyone have any knowledge of any of this left anywhere at all?? I've been told there is more of it yet to be distributed, though no set date or location available....

Quite a few in Tralee yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

15 a shot

15 a shot

Oh well, if people will pay it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Where was that TB?

• Advertisement

That would be an ecumenical matter.

I wish I knew myself, I've asked staff in two branches and they can't confirm anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

VW 1 wrote: »
    Where was that TB?

Dicky Macks in Dingle!

Dicky Macks in Dingle!

Mad culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Crazy the shot is 6x the cost per shot at retail price, never mind trade price.

Understand that there needs to be a mark up but that's crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

15 a shot

That's saucy.
    Abbot's in Cork charging €10.

On the one hand, €15 for an Irish 26 year old malt seems not too bad but then you take in the fact that the dogs on the street know it retails for €50, it seems a bit daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

VW 1 wrote: »
    Crazy the shot is 6x the cost per shot at retail price, never mind trade price.

Understand that there needs to be a mark up but that's crazy.

Aldi don't sell trade and generally there is very little difference between trade and retail on spirits

Its also not 6x, more 4x as you get about 16/17 shots from a standard bottle unless you measure precisely - and dick macks are known for a decent over pour.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Aldi don't sell trade and generally there is very little difference between trade and retail on spirits

Its also not 6x, more 4x as you get about 16/17 shots from a standard bottle unless you measure precisely - and dick macks are known for a decent over pour.

Considering RB 12 is 60e a bottle in the shop and you can normally find it and 9/9.50 in a pub

15e for a shot of this is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

CeilingFly wrote: »

Not to attack you personally, but....
    Even at your minimum of 16 measures that works out at €240 being paid per bottle. Considering a bottle is €50, I would say that 4.8 times mark up is taking the piss. I've very rarely seen more than 2 times mark up. 4.8 (at best) is extortionate and I would love to hear a legitimate argument that genuinely backs this robbery up.

dos29 wrote: »
    I would love to hear a legitimate argument that genuinely backs this robbery up.

Some people who don't know the origin of the bottle may think that €15 for a 26 year old Irish malt is good value and happily hand over the money, making a handsome profit for the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If anyone can sort me out with a bottle of this I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Had a couple of drams of this last night before bed.
    My second impression is better than my first.
    Nice burn and finish.

• Advertisement

Meant to say, thanks vm for the Tralee tip off. I have a buddy down there who took a look and found a solitary bottle on the shelf, perhaps the last bottle anywhere?? It should be a nice Christmas dram, Cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Considering RB 12 is 60e a bottle in the shop and you can normally find it and 9/9.50 in a pub

I pay 6.50 for Redbreast in a rural pub.

Geuze wrote: »
    I pay 6.50 for Redbreast in a rural pub.

Great.

But hows the broadband! :pac:

Seriously though

6.50 sounds about the right price in order to get people to pay for it.

I tend not to bother with whiskey in pubs most of the time due to price of anything I'd want to drink.

Great.

But hows the broadband! :pac:

Seriously though

6.50 sounds about the right price in order to get people to pay for it.

I tend not to bother with whiskey in pubs most of the time due to price of anything I'd want to drink.

Yeah, most pubs charge silly money for premium whisky.
    They're not really interested in selling them, they just want to have a couple on the shelf.
    I know bars that make a massive margin on the cheap spirits and sell the premium stuff cheaper. They still make good money on them per shot just less gross profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local back home puts a flat 50% margin on the bottle of whiskey and is extremely damn careful with measures as a result. As a result they charge <€5 for the normal "premium" bottles and maybe €8 for the stuff that's 20+ elsewhere. This is a pub which had €3 pints of Heineken until this summer though...

I'd need to actually work the price out but I think they might go as daringly high as 75% margin on stuff like Black Bush but those aren't measured like they're liquid gold :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

So, back on topic. Is this now all gone?
    I tried Limerick a few times again but there is none ever on the shelf and when I inquired about going on a waiting list I got puzzled looks and some lame excuses by staff who couldn't be bothered.

Hard to say.....I made calls to head office and some stores about a week and a half ago, most I could get was that they intend to restock infrequently between release and Christmas, though no clue as to when, where, or how many. I would think looking at the demand in UK and Europe it may be spread a lot thinner than planned.... but this is all just speculating. I would say the best bet is to check stores or ask friends in other towns to do similar if they happen to be passing a store; I would suggest early afternoon on Mondays and Thursdays (11th, 14th, 18th, 21st) as optimum days for this, but that's just guessing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

It could be gone for good or turn on some random Thursday in February. Neither would surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Aldi 26 yo
    Melendez wrote: »
    I got a bottle in East Wall on Thursday despite being told it was gone forever a couple of days after the offer was available (and sold out).

Ditto in Swords on Thursday last. I got the last one and was told each store had got 3 cases in total (36 bottles?) and that was it !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement