Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Reserve 26 Y/O Single Malt Whiskey - Aldi - 49.99€

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

RasTa wrote: »
    Right, would you get this or Redbreast Lustau edition for a tenner more?

The Lustau is a nice whisky... but this one is much smoother and is well worth double the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Personally, I'd prefer regular Redbreast 12 to the Lustau. And the cask strength is another big step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thanks, Aldi it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Finally came in to my local one in Galway today - tried weds, Thurs and Sat and no sign. Happened to be there this afternoon and finally it arrived.
    Really looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Folks, as someone who drinks the odd whiskey on a night out (rare), can I ask how do most of you take your whiskey?

I am assuming purists are going to say neat or with some water. Are mixers frowned upon in the whiskey world?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

NIMAN wrote: »
    Folks, as someone who drinks the odd whiskey on a night out (rare), can I ask how do most of you take your whiskey?

I am assuming purists are going to say neat or with some water. Are mixers frowned upon in the whiskey world?

Good whisky neat, a drop of water, maybe an ice cube.
    Cheaper whisky yes indeed, soda or ginger...but never with a good whisky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

5 left in Cork mahon/blackrock

Stick to gin if you want a mixer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't drink whiskey that often but I'd only ever drink it with ice or water or neat. I think mixers are for JD. I might have a whiskey sour if I was out but I think that's cocktail territory.

Definitely don't add mixers to aged whiskey as you would lose all the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

RasTa wrote: »
    Stick to gin if you want a mixer

Why not Jameson, Roe & co. or a cheap bourbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you buy it then drink it however you want it. I’m partial to a Jemmy and Ginger in the summer. However adding a mixer to an expensive whiskey is a waste of money. You’ll get the same effect from a cheap one.

I agree with stimpson.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Why not Jameson, Roe & co. or a cheap bourbon.

I wouldn't bother drinking that myself. I go gin for mixers. Suppose it's up to the individual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I bought 3 bottles tonight in Waterford (one for cousin). I had a taste a while a go. I'm gonna bring the unopened one back for a refund. It's ok Whiskey, but at that price, I know that there are others I prefer. I think it's too sweet and so does my daughter (and we have a very sweet tooth) with a not too nice, rough, clingy finish. I get a kind of detergent taste in the middle as well. It's smooth and silky enough, but after a trip to France during the summer where I loaded the car to the top with very cheap Scotch, I think I've spoiled myself (Johnnie Walker Black Label €14, 15yr old Singleton €32, loads more that's mostly gone by now ;) )

Ah well, it was an experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭peejay01

Don't know if this is any use to people but I asked in the Kylemore shop and they are getting a whopping 5 bottles in on the 7th Dec. They said they were getting one case and that was 5 bottles. Thought a case would at least be 6 bottles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Got a dispatch notice on mine from UK, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Opened mine last night - meh. Nice enough and just about worth the €50, but if it was €60 I'd feel I'd have overpaid.

Won't be buying a second bottle.

Just doesn;lt have the "Wow" that I'd expect from a 26 year old whiskey - it doesn't excite the palate. Then I'm comparing it with higher price bottles, so proably unfair and I probably just hoped it would compare with €100+ bottles.

Sadly it doesn't, but still a good buy. Just not an amazing buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Plenty of bottles of this in Cahir today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭FlicFlak

So i finally got three bottles of this in Galway, Athlone never got any! Opened one last night and i have to say, it is delicious!!
    Massive pear and apple flavours and a burst of oak and vanilla. Then finishes with a spicy note. Theres a weird flavour in there as well, very bitter and dry, like grass, but makes you want to drink more to figure it out!!
    Its a 26 year old single malt so its obviously super smooth to drink, and not alot of burn from the alcohol.
    Highly recommend this, and even though i have three bottles, i will definitely buy more while i can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

FlicFlak wrote: »
    So i finally got three bottles of this in Galway, Athlone never got any! Opened one last night and i have to say, it is delicious!!
    Massive pear and apple flavours and a burst of oak and vanilla. Then finishes with a spicy note. Theres a weird flavour in there as well, very bitter and dry, like grass, but makes you want to drink more to figure it out!!
    Its a 26 year old single malt so its obviously super smooth to drink, and not alot of burn from the alcohol.
    Highly recommend this, and even though i have three bottles, i will definitely buy more while i can!

Where in Galway did you get it do you mind me asking?
    Did they have more?
    Was it on the shelf or did you have to ask for it?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭FlicFlak

tobdom wrote: »
    Did they have more?

Cheers!

Meant to say, was in Balinasloe!! Was on the shelf, there was two left after i took three. Must not be big whiskey drinkers there, id say they were there since it came in on the 14th!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

tobdom wrote: »
    Did they have more?

Cheers!

I saw 4 or 5 bottles on the shelf in the Knocknacarra Aldi when I was queuing yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Good whiskey neat, a drop of water, maybe an ice cube.
    Cheaper whisky yes indeed, soda or ginger...but never with a good whiskey

Fixed that for you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

1 bottle left in Midleton, after I picked up a bottle..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I noticed the price note on shelf is yellow, which often means it gets restocked (blue is special /limited from my limited experience), so maybe we shall see a few restocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gozunda wrote: »
    Fixed that for you :pac:

Irish whisky can be spelled with or without the e.
    Adding the e was originally just a Dublin whisky thing.
    Paddy, for example, had no e up until relatively recently, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Harika

Cork - Aldi Blackpool hat seven bottles on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ejag1948

I phoned Aldi to enquire as to the distillery of origin for this whiskey. They advised that they could not divulge this information as it was commercially sensitive. I did advise that the provenance of this product would therefore be in doubt. As irish Distillers do not make a 'Single Malt' and based on the age it is more than likely from the Cooley Distillary (retained by the Teelings after the sale to J Beam), or the fact that it's been bottled in Scotland would point to Bushmills. The plot thickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

FlicFlak wrote: »
    Theres a weird flavour in there as well, very bitter and dry, like grass, but makes you want to drink more to figure it out!!

This presents itself as nettle to me.

I've never eaten nettle's :D

But I have had grappa that was made with nettle's and it had a very similar note.

• Advertisement

ejag1948 wrote: »
    I phoned Aldi to enquire as to the distillery of origin for this whiskey. They advised that they could not divulge this information as it was commercially sensitive. I did advise that the provenance of this product would therefore be in doubt. As irish Distillers do not make a 'Single Malt' and based on the age it is more than likely from the Cooley Distillary (retained by the Teelings after the sale to J Beam), or the fact that it's been bottled in Scotland would point to Bushmills. The plot thickens

It is very, very likely a Bushmills, via Teeling. It is very, very common for whisky to be bottled without revealing the distillery.

Midleton do make single malt, but do not release it as such. The Erin Go Bragh, for example, was an independent bottling of Midleton single malt. They used to only make batches of it every few years.

Advertisement