Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree fungus

Options
  • 04-11-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I recently moved into a property, there are some small trees in the garden that seem to be covered in a fungus or mould (apparently lichen); it appears to be killing the trees that are covered in it.

I'm hoping there's something that can be done for the trees that haven't died yet?

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do with the trees that are still standing?

I don't have permissions to post images here at the moment, so hopefully someone knows what I'm on about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

If guess it's the other way around and the fungus is feeding off already dead wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

emeraldeye wrote: »
    Hi, I recently moved into a property, there are some small trees in the garden that seem to be covered in a fungus or mould (apparently lichen); it appears to be killing the trees that are covered in it.

I'm hoping there's something that can be done for the trees that haven't died yet?

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do with the trees that are still standing?

I don't have permissions to post images here at the moment, so hopefully someone knows what I'm on about?

Lichen does not kill trees. It is a type of epiphyte. It is made up of a fungus and an algae that provides the energy for the lichen through photosynthesis. It is only using the tree as something to grow on and would not be causing them any damage.

There might be a different fungus also present that is causing disease in the trees. Is there any other signs of fungal infection? Does the bark have cankers or are the leaves showing some sort of pattern of damage (this might be difficult to spot at present as often leaves will be going brown now for the autumn leaf drop anyway)? Some disease of trees will cause liquid to seep from the bark; is there any sign of this or other indications of decay? Do you know what type of trees they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Are you able to post a link to a picture in photobucket or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 emeraldeye

macraignil wrote: »
    Lichen does not kill trees. It is a type of epiphyte. It is made up of a fungus and an algae that provides the energy for the lichen through photosynthesis. It is only using the tree as something to grow on and would not be causing them any damage.

There might be a different fungus also present that is causing disease in the trees. Is there any other signs of fungal infection? Does the bark have cankers or are the leaves showing some sort of pattern of damage (this might be difficult to spot at present as often leaves will be going brown now for the autumn leaf drop anyway)? Some disease of trees will cause liquid to seep from the bark; is there any sign of this or other indications of decay? Do you know what type of trees they are?

Hi, thanks for helping, it seems I can now post links in the forum, so here are a few photos: https://imgur.com/a/93pbc

I think the lichen is choking the tree as there are some trees that have leaves only in the parts where the lichen is not growing.

I think there are various trees all with the same lichen I'll try to take some more photos some time soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you're getting the cart before the horse there - the lichen is growing on the dead branches because they are already dead. more light can get to the lichen to allow it to grow, as there are no leaves shading it. it's benefitting from, rather than causing, the dieback.

• Advertisement

i think you're getting the cart before the horse there - the lichen is growing on the dead branches because they are already dead. more light can get to the lichen to allow it to grow, as there are no leaves shading it. it's benefitting from, rather than causing, the dieback.

Ah, thanks, I guess I've just inherited a lot of dead trees with the property :-( A shame as they would have looked nice.

I might give them some food or something in the hopes that some of them may recover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's just lichen, a sign of clean air, and does not affect the trees nor grows on dead wood per se.

Hi, thanks for helping, it seems I can now post links in the forum, so here are a few photos: https://imgur.com/a/93pbc

I think the lichen is choking the tree as there are some trees that have leaves only in the parts where the lichen is not growing.

I think there are various trees all with the same lichen I'll try to take some more photos some time soon.

Looking at those photos it is obvious the tree in the middle photo has been blown over at a very difficult angle for it to be growing properly. It might be just a matter of time before it falls over completely. Can't see any obvious signs of disease in the trees from those photos. Are they a type of birch? Do they get a good amount of leaves in the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with the others. Wait until next year before you decide whether the trees are dead - though if you break off a twig and it snaps and has no green or sap then it is probably dead. Thats not to say the whole tree is dead. I quite like lichen on trees :)

macraignil wrote: »
    Looking at those photos it is obvious the tree in the middle photo has been blown over at a very difficult angle for it to be growing properly. It might be just a matter of time before it falls over completely. Can't see any obvious signs of disease in the trees from those photos. Are they a type of birch? Do they get a good amount of leaves in the summer?

Hi, I'm not sure what type they are, as only recently moved into the property, but on Street View I found an image from 2009 https://i.imgur.com/8X7YlCt.png it's a bit low res., but you may be able to make our the type (looks like they are all different types).
    The fallen tree is the one at the back on the far left.

I think I'll take looksee's advice and see what they're like next year.
    As I'd never seen trees with so much lichen I just assumed it was harming them, but it is Winter so the lack of leaves is quite normal I suppose ;)

Hi, I'm not sure what type they are, as only recently moved into the property, but on Street View I found an image from 2009 https://i.imgur.com/8X7YlCt.png it's a bit low res., but you may be able to make our the type (looks like they are all different types).
    The fallen tree is the one at the back on the far left.

I think I'll take looksee's advice and see what they're like next year.
    As I'd never seen trees with so much lichen I just assumed it was harming them, but it is Winter so the lack of leaves is quite normal I suppose ;)

You are right they look like different tree types. It is unlikely that there is a disease that will attack all of them so it's a good idea to wait until spring to see how they are going then. There might be nothing wrong with most of them.

Advertisement